online_help
online_help, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MCA with 3+ year experience
29824419

How do I migrate my media center recording schedule to a new

How do I migrate my media center recording schedule to a new machine? Is there a folder I can find my Media Center HDTV Recording Schedule in and simply copy it to the new machines folder for Media Center? Where is this info found exactly? MTIA!!
Category: Computer
Expert:  online_help replied 4 years ago.
hi there,

I'll be happy to assist you.

Important note: This method is to port ONLY the schedule entries, and NOT other settings such as the recorded TV location, recording history, NOR the existing recordings themselves.

1. Back up the recordings.xml found under %programdata%\microsoft\ehome\recording to a flash or backup drive (one whose data will not be destroyed as you install the new Windows 7 OS).

Note: programdata is a hidden folder in the root of the OS drive. One way to get to it is by typing %programdata% into the Start | Search box and then hit Enter.

1. Do a clean install of Windows 7.
  2. Create a new folder %programdata%\microsoft\ehome\recording and copy to it the recordings.xml backed up in step #1 above
  3. Launch Media Center and go through TV signal setup.

At the end of the setup, all recording scheduled entries found in the recordings.xml will be imported into Media Center.

The indexing of the Guide can take a while, so please give it some time for the scheduled entries to show up under Recorded TV | view scheduled. You can also verify whether the series are imported successfully by checking under Recorded TV | view scheduled | series.

Hope it will help you.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer!

Good Luck!

---------------------------------------
Just ACCEPT the answer so that i can get paid for my efforts and time.

If not help, then Ask me Again or repost your query instead of giving negative feedback.

Show your kindness by giving Positive Feedback and Bonus.

Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I could not find RECORDING as a file or a folder. But I mostly needed the location C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\eHome and I found there three lose files. Counter.mem, MCENDIndiv.hds and mcepg2-0.db and copying them over to the new install seems to have brought at least part of the information over. The Recorded TV | view sceduled | series clearly shows them in there now in the new System here. Should I copy everything from the ehome folder to the new system? They were both Windows 7 Ultimate 64?

Thanks though I think this has done it.

hi,

for that you have to enable the show hidden files first.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes done and done, it seems to all be there now and I thank you very much. Yes I have "show hidden files" clicked in my Folder settings for this Admin. Acct. Thanks again! I am going to accept this answer just thought you would want the details. Have a great day! ;-)
Thanks for accept the answer.

positive feedback and bonus will be highly appreciated.

Nice to work with you.

Good Luck!

---------------------------------------

Thanks
Experience: MCA with 3+ year experience