DRobertson
DRobertson, Consultant / Technician
Experience:  MCTS, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+, 20+ years in IT. Support for OEMs. Computer repair business owner.

I have a message on my system that says TWC Desktop - Error Unable

I have a message on my system that says TWC Desktop - Error

Unable to initialize "Page" None of my programs will open. What can I do to fix this?
Category: Computer
Expert:  DRobertson replied 4 years ago.

Hi and thanks for writing us here at JustAnswer.com. Please know that to resolve your question may take some back and forth questions and answers. Help us to help you! We are here to help and will do our best to resolve your issue. Also note that we do NOT work for any company and in no way represent them on their products and/or services.

Ok, first, I would simply uninstall and then reinstall TWC.

If that does not resolve the issue, then uninstall TWC and then download and install a older version. Seems that a lot of users are having issues with a update of the TWC.

If none of this works out, let me know and we will proceed from this point.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How do I uninstall TWC? Where do I find it? What is it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I think it has to do with the Weather Channel desk top I have on the system. I have deleted it. If you find it to be somehting else,please let me know

Yes, you are correct.

Do you wish to continue on with being able to use it?

If so, please let me know what Windows you are using.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I deleted the weather program and rebooted. The message did not return, however, I am still unable to open any programs; i.e., POGO, Facebook, etc.

Ok, so this is looking to be a more massive issue in IE.

I need o know, what IE version are you using. IE 7, 8, etc.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am still unable to open pages on the internet even though
I have deleted the TWC error problem

I apologize, I have been away for a little while.

I am still needing to know what version of IE you are using on your system. I need this to be able to know the exact steps to tell yo to go.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry, I was called away. I am on ver I
E 8
Also I use Win XP Pro

Great! Good one for this purpose.

Ok, go to Start, then Programs, the Accessories and then look for IE (No-addons) Start this IE and see if all is ok.

If it is, then close it out and then go to Control Panel and Internet Options and open it. Do the Delete button and make sure to delete Temp files, History - and for this T/S, make sure to NOt leave a check in the box that talks about preserving data for your favorite sites.

Next, click on Start, then RIGHT click on My Computer and choose Properties in the pop-up menu. When the box opens, look for a button that says Cleanup. Let it start and make sure to check everything in those boxes. Let this run.

Now reboot and try again on your IE.

Let me know if this does not work and we will proceed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok I have done the first step and get the message that it is running with addons disabled. There is another button that says to manage this, I clicked on it but there is a list of different items soe are enabled and others are disabled. not sure if I should change any of these.
second step. done as you said to do
thrid step .. My computer does not list the process you mention but I did do a complete disk cleanup. Rebooted and still nothing as far as opening FB or Pogo.

Ok, thanks for following thru on that for me.

Here is a test that will help me know if we actually have another program interfering with IE doing its job.

Restart or power up the system, if off, and just has soon as you see anything on the screen, start tapping rapidly, 4 or 5 times, the F8 key. Your going to think about just holding it down altogether, but this will cause an error, so please do not do so. Tap rapidly.

We are looking for a menu on the screen that says, "Windows Startup Menu". If you do make it there, then you will use the down arrow key and move down to "Safe Mode with Networking" and then tap Enter.

(To get out of this special mode, shutdown and reboot, and it will go back to normal mode.)

Note also that not everything functions in this mode, and / or may look different. This is ok and normal.

I need you to get to this special desktop and then open IE and see if you can get to your pages for me.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have done it and it still will not open programs on IE

Ok, this is all helpful. What that tells us, is that there is no other program interfering with IE.

I want you to go back to the no addon IE and then to the manage addons and in the box disable all addons you have.

Reboot and try again. If it does ok, then we know it is an addon crashing. ONce we know that, you can slowly enable them back ONE at a time until we see IE stop working then we know which one it just caused the issue.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Disable them all and it still is not working

Just so you will know, I tried earlier to download IE 8 again thinking that would help and it said I already had it on the system so it didn't work. I have just now found the latest update to IE8 and that is now downloading to my system. Hopefully yhis will solve my problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well the dld is complete and guess what? It didn't change anything. Still cannot open the home page of FB and can not get any of the games to load in POGO. Not sure where to go from here. Do you have any other things for me to try?

Just tried FB again and there is a message that was posted 8 hrs ago that says it is done due to a problem they need to fix. I guess it is not something with my PC after all. As far a POGO goes, that is still not working and they suggest that I use Firefox as my browser. Don't think that is going to happen as I went to their website and can't even find a place that tells you to download their program... Google Chrome does have a place to download, but it will not work when I try it. Again, not sure what is going on. Guess I will just have to stick to reading books for my entertainment unless you have some other options for me..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
This am I have the following message box on my system: Windows
Internet Explorer
Cannot find 'misp://Security Scanner.dll::exit.htm/'. Make sure path or Internet address is correct.

Not sure where to go from here. Still need help as FB still wont open, POGO games still not loading, tried to Dnld Google Chrome again and it will not open either.

Ok, then lets get a little more extreme on the resolve:

Go to Control Panel thru Start. Now go to Add/Remove Programs and open it. Look for anything in the list to do with POGO and if there is anything, uninstall it. Once done, reboot and try again and see if you can run it. Of course you will have to reinstall it first.

If that does not resolve it, then do this:

Run System File Checker (sfc):

Click on Start, then go to Run, then type, "command" in the run box that pops open.

In this black command prompt box (will show something on the black screen like, c:\windows\_ ), I need you to type, "sfc /scannow" and tap on the Enter key. This will take a while to run, upwards of an hour or more. Once it is done, please reboot.

From there try your IE.

If that does not work then we are going to uninstall IE 8 has the next step to solving this:

Go to Control Panel from Start. Once Control Panel is open, then look for Add/Remove Programs and open it.

Now look down thru that list and find Internet Explorer 8.0 and click it once to highlight it. Now click on Uninstall.

Let it totally uninstall, and then - if it does not do so on its own, reboot again.

Now try IE 7 and see how it does.

Let me know if none of this works and we will go from there. Also, please do not install or do other steps, this is only componding the issue and throwing items into the issue to make it hardder to solve.

Edited by DRobertson on 5/6/2010 at 11:26 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There was nothing in the control panel ref'g POGO. Am going to your 2nd step rfc. Will get back to you when this is complete. I bet this made your day LOL

Ok, and it is:

sfc /scannow

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
something strange is happening. It asked for my Window XP Pro disk to be inserted. I did that. clicked on retry, but something is not right. the message keeps popping up and I keep hitting the retry. The MS menu pops up and askes me what I want to do out of the 4 options. None of them seem to work, but there is ascreen in the background thasays it is trying to verify all protected window files are intact and in their original place. This seems to be almost complete even tho the light is not showing the cd is being read
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I should have said the cd is not being read

Ok, lets try and get this under control for us.

Its ok first, that it asked for the CD - on sfc it does so sometimes. I am concerned it does not seem to be finding the CD. This though, maybe nothing more then a dirty CD or such, so just make sure there is no fingerprints or such on the CD and put it back in.

Yes, the sfc may ask you several times about files. I have seen times when I had upwards of 80 times I had to tell it to go on thru.

What I want you to do, leave the CD in, and when it gets thru, start it over again. Each time it ask, make sure to tell it to replace the file (I do not remember the exact wording on this, but whatever it says for replacing the file, do that)

If by chance, it still is not reading the CD, then on each question, click on ignore or cancel.

Let me know when your done with this and how it went.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well nothing that I have done has made any difference with what does or doesn't work on this PC. It did occur to me however, that my problems started on Tuesday right after an automatic update to McAfee. I have a new icon on the start up bar and desktop. I can no longer scan with McAfee. It seems that it has combined itslf w/PC Tools Doctor Spyware and that is the only thing that I can get to scan at this time. Not sure if that would have anything to do with my not being able to open pages on the system or desktop, but everything was working fine until then. Near as I can figure it out, it happened sometime around mind to late morning on Tuesday.

Ok, this helps some then.

Lets try to do a System Restore, since you know a date for this issue.

Here is what you do:

This is the "roll-back" of the system to a previous point in time. NOTE: This is a safe way to roll-back and should not destroy your data. If you have any way to backup your data, it is always a good ideal to do so beforehand.

Click on Start (in Vista or Windows 7, look for the Start Orb), then go to Programs, then Accessories, and then look for System Restore. (If you cannot find System Restore there, then look under the sub-menu under Accessories that says System Tools)

Click and open System Restore.

In the window that opens, I need you to make sure the radio (round) button is on the one that says Restore and click on Next. Now you are going to look for a date that is available that is before the time the issue started. Note the arrows at the top of the window will move the months backwards and forwards. An example of this would be that your issue started on Jan 6th, and you have an entry that says Jan 5th, then this is what you would pick by clicking on it in the calendar and then click on Next.

The restore might take some time, and your system will reboot itself. Let it run until you are back to a normal desktop or logon screen, then check and see if the issue is still present.

Let me know and we will go from this spot forward.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did the system restore prior to my contacting you and that is when I got the TWC error. I have deleted the TWC and not reinstalled it but it has not helped anything. I am no longer able to open the system restore. That is one of the pages that does not open any more when I click on it.

Ok, next lets do a scan of the registry for corruption - especially with what you just stated.

I am going to give you a link to a wen site. Download and install the program. Let it scan the registry for errors and correct them.

http://download.cnet.com/Free-Window-Registry-Repair/3000-2086_4-10606555.html

Let me know how it goes.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Right now I am on the phone w/McAfee tech support and they think the program downloaded w/errors. I am hoping they willfix it for me. If not I will try the option you give me above. Will get back to you on this.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well I hope your day is going better than mine. I called McAfee, they agree that the latest update did not dnld properly. They wanted me to go to the website and dnld the loatest vers and install again. I could only get a blank screen from their website. They sent me to Time Warner who is my internet provider. They said that it is working as I can get to the internet as well as different programs and the balance of the problem is from McAfee and I need to get back to them to fix it properly. I clicked on your link to clean up my system. Dnld'd the program and it said I had 326 items to fix and the free would only correct 6 of them. I tried to purchase the program, but it would only go tot he portion of selecting what I wanted to purchase and flipped to a screen that said I had completed steps 1 & 2. There was no option to goto step 3. So I opted to have the program fix 6 which it did not seem to do as I still had 326 errors when it completed.
I think it is time to start pulling out my hair and I don't have a lot of that left.

I forgot that they had changed to a pay model.

Here is the one I use on my personal systems:

http://www.tweaknow.com/RegCleaner.php

Lets us this one and clean them all up.

DRobertson, Consultant / Technician
Experience: MCTS, MCDST, MCP, A+, Network+, 20+ years in IT. Support for OEMs. Computer repair business owner.