Hunter Owens
Hunter Owens, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Your problem meets my passion. A Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist.
20422294

When I try to open an email Windows Media Player attachment,

Customer Question

When I try to open an email Windows Media Player attachment, I get the following error
message: "Windows Media Player cannot play the file because the required video codec is
not installed on your computer". What do I have to do to install the required video codec?
I've tried everything with no positive results.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Hunter Owens replied 7 years ago.

It will be my pleasure to assist you with your computer today. Let's try re-installing your Windows Media Player video and audio codecs. Click here to start the download and then follow the on-screen instructions to complete the installation. Restart your computer and then try watching your email attachment again.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Hunter O.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

A popup window recommended I disable the program you installed because it might

damage my computer. What do you think I should do? By the way, I don't see the

program downloaded on my computer.

The K-Lite Codec Pack Standard that I am recommending is a legitimate program that would not damage your computer in anyway. It is typical for Internet Explorer to warn users before downloading any file, even if it is harmless.

Perhaps you don't see it on your computer because the pop-up blocked it. Try clicking here, then click on the blue Download Now button on the right-side of your screen, and then selecting Run for the download option.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Hunter O.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I downloaded K-Lite Codec Pack 5.9.0, restarted my computer but I still can't read my email attachments. Now I also small Media Player Classic window on my desk top and I can't get rid of it. Now what?

Do you have this problem with several emails or only a particular email?

Could you try saving the attachment to your desktop and uploading it to MediaFire so that I could see what type of file you're having trouble viewing? (After uploading the file to MediaFire, please copy and paste the link from the Sharing URL with File Name box into the JustAnswer message reply window.)

If there is a Media Player Classic icon on your desktop, please right-click on it and then select Delete.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Hunter O.

Please try the following.

1. Click Start.
  2. Type run into the Start Search box and press Enter on your keyboard.
  3. Type regsvr32 wmp.dll into the Run text box and click OK.
Look forward to hearing from you,

Hunter O.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I followed your instructions and tried again to open my email attachment. All I got was a small window titled Media Player Classic and I couldn't get it to respond to anything.

Please go to Start, Control Panel, Add/Remove Programs, and remove Media Player Classic (if it is listed).

Then click here and try downloading the Codec Installation Package from Microsoft.com.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Hunter O.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
When trying to download the Codec Installation Package from Microsoft.com I get a message stating download is incompatible with Microsoft XP. Also, Media Player Classic is not listed in the Add/Remove Program. K-Lite Codec Pack 5.9.0 Standard and ffdshow is listed. Furthermore, when I try to open an email attachment, a small window appears as Media Player Classic and at the bottom of the window is the word "Closed". Now what do I do?

Please try the following:

1. Click Start and select Control Panel.
  2. Click on Add or Remove Programs.
  3. Click on Set Program Access and Defaults.
  4. In the Choose a configuration section, double-click Custom (if it is not already selected.)
  5. In the Choose a default media player section, click Windows Media Player, and then click OK.
  6. Close all open windows and try opening the attachment again.

Also try, saving the attachment to your desktop or My Documents (this varies by your email program, but you are usually able to do so by right-clicking on the name of the attachment and selecting Save As). Once the attachment has been saved, right-click on it, select Open With, and then click on Windows Media Player, and check the Always use the selected program to open this kind of file check box.

Look forward to hearing from you,

Hunter O.

Edited by Hunter Owens on 5/3/2010 at 3:02 PM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Sorry for the delay but I had a tee-time to meet. I followed all of your instructions, tried to open the attachment again but all I got was the small Media Player Classic window which indicated at the bottom left corder of the window that it was closed. When following your instructions the phrase Always use the selected program to open this kind of file did not appear on the screen. Now what?

I apologize that I am unable to solve your problem. I hope another expert on JustAnswer with more expertise in this area will be able to assist you.

Have a great day,

Hunter O.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Bring on the other expert. This problem has to be solved!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
It's been over 12 hours now since my last reply. Is it because you're giving up on my problem. If so, let me know so I can sign off.

I opted-out of your problem to give other experts who may have more expertise in this area the opportunity to assist you. If you would like to request a refund of your deposit, you may do so by clicking here.

Have a great day,

Hunter O.