namstech
namstech, Electrical Engineer
Experience:  M.S. Signals and Information Processing

Hi, I have slammed shut my laptop (i know not very well behaved!)

Customer Question

Hi, I have slammed shut my laptop (i know not very well behaved!) tried to start up again but have a disk read error occrred press ctrl alt del to restart. have tried this a couple of time but just goes back to blank screen and same error! I am hoping this can be fixed?
Category: Computer
Expert:  namstech replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to JA expert services:

If you haven't tried to start the computer in safe mode yet, please try to start it in safe mode and see if it starts, as follows:

1. Restart your computer and repeatedly press F8 until an options menu appears.

2. Select Safe Mode and press enter.

See if the computer starts in this mode.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I have tried this, a screen briefly displays but cannot react as goes back to error message too quickly, anything else?
Expert:  namstech replied 4 years ago.

Do you have an installation CD for windows? Try running chkdsk to check the health of the hard-drive. The steps are listed here. The steps are applicable to both Vista and Windows 7.

It will help diagnose the problem.

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I only have a product recovery disk! I do not want to run this as I believe all saved info will be lost! Is there anything else I can do?
Expert:  namstech replied 4 years ago.

From the recovery disk, only run the chkdsk command. It will just check your disk for errors. Dont run windows recovery or repair. This way you wont lose data.

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, I have put in the product recovery disk, turned the computer back on and nothing happens apart from goes back to the error message! Is there anything else?

Expert:  namstech replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry that I did not tell it before.

To boot from recovery CD, restart and tap F12 repeatedly until you get an option to boot from CD. When the option does appear, press any key to boot from CD. Then try to follow intructions as listed in the previous link.

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I have pressed f12, a list comes up and selected cd, then goes to a screen windows is loading files, asks for my language but then a box comes up to say "you are about to delete all contents of the disk drive. The operating system and your personal data will be permanently deleted. Not giving me an option to just chkdsk, what should i do?
Expert:  namstech replied 4 years ago.

When you press "Repair your Computer", then in the next window, select the operating system (Windows 7) and press Next.

Now click "Use recovery tools that can fix ........" option in the new dialog.

Now in the new dialog, select command prompt and follow the steps as in previous link to run the chkdsk.

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, sorry about this, if I select english (windows win 7) and click next, a warning box comes up to say "your hard disk will be completely erased. Do you really want to continue?" Should I still continue as not giving me an option to use recovery tools that can fix etc

Expert:  namstech replied 4 years ago.

Do you get an interface like the one shown here?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No. the "box" is titled recovery utility?

Expert:  namstech replied 4 years ago.

What is the brand of your computer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
toshiba l450/l450d satellite amd
Expert:  namstech replied 4 years ago.

Restart your computer and press ALT + F11 and see if windows recovery starts.

When it does inform me.

Regards
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, no nothing happens, held keys for a minute as soon as let go goes to error message
Expert:  namstech replied 4 years ago.

check ALT + F10 and tell me the result.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Same as before, goes to error message screen!
Expert:  namstech replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry about this.

Please follow instructions below:

1) Hold down the power button for 10 (ten) seconds to switch off your machine.

Please note: Holding down the power button on the machine forces it to switch off. Any unsaved data will be lost.

2) Press and hold the 0 (zero) key and at the same time, tap the power button once to switch on your notebook.

3) When the machine Starts beeping; release the 0 key.

4) When prompted by the warning screen; select Yes to continue with the system recovery.

5) Select Recovery of Factory Default Software; click Next.

6) Select Recover to out-of-box state. Click Next again.

7) Click Next to Start recovery.

I hope you find this step by step solution helpful for you. If so, rate it up.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, pressed power button for 10 secs, pressed 0 and held whilst turned back on, no beeping just goes back to error message?
Expert:  namstech replied 4 years ago.

Do you have more than one partitions on your hard-drive?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, sorry, not sure what partitions are?
Expert:  namstech replied 4 years ago.

Do you have many hard-drive letters as C:\, D:\ , E:\ or a single one?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I believer it is just C:\
Expert:  namstech replied 4 years ago.

So it means you have just one drive with all data on it. Can you tell what screens do you get when you run the system recovery CD. step by step?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi, when pressed alt + f12, a boot menu comes up asking for

HDD1/SSD1 Toshiba MK3263GSX-(S")

CD/DVD TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-L633C-(S4)

LAN

I choose cd and enter

screen then states windows is loading files

then a window which states waiting for ODD to become available flashes up for a few seconds

next screen is recovery utility asking me to choose language, cursor already on english and click next

then before displaying next screen a warning sign comes up stating that I am about to delete contents of hard drive, clicked ok

new screen still titled recovery utility

english (windows win 7) displayed and have an abort option, back or next

also states current recovery drive size is 153gb

if i click on next another warning comes up stating your hard disk will be completely erased, do i want to continue.

Have not gone any further

Expert:  namstech replied 4 years ago.

does this menu appear after pressing ALT + F12? If so have you tried booting from hard disk? If not please try and tell me the result.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, this menu is after pressing alt +f12, if I just switch on with the recovery disk it goes straight to error message and nothing else happens
Expert:  namstech replied 4 years ago.

If there is some damage done to the hard-disk due to slamming (God forbade), the read - disk error may prevent even the recovery disk from repairing the Windows. The reason being the systems inability to read the current operating system from the hard-drive.

I think first of all you should take measures to backup your data on the hard-drive. Is it possible for you to remove the hard-drive, install in it in an appropriate hard-disk casing for USB connections to another computer. If yes, you can connect the hard-drive to another computer through USB and backup your data. you can also perform chkdsk through another computer while the hard-disk is connected through the USB. This will help us understand the problem the hard-disk is actually having.

I await your response

Regards
namstech, Electrical Engineer
Experience: M.S. Signals and Information Processing
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, I am not sure if I am capable of doing this. I think I need someone to actually look at this in person. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  namstech replied 4 years ago.

I am really sorry about the problem. I wish I could have extended more help to you.

Best of luck and God Bless

Smile