Aitizaz
Aitizaz, Software Engineer
Experience:  Vast exp. in troubleshooting,maintenance and counselling
17531195

PC frozen - How do I unfreeze my desktop

Customer Question

PC frozen - How do I unfreeze my desktop?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Aitizaz replied 4 years ago.
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

please restart your computer and press F8 continuously. From the appearing menu, select SAFE MODE and press Enter.

now, once you get into the windows, go to RUN and write the following command:

chkdsk /f ( notice space between chkdsk and / )

and press Enter.

Then, again go to RUN and type the following:

SFC /SCANNOW ( take care of the space between SFC and / )

and press Enter.

Again go to RUN and type the following:

scanreg /fix ( again take care of the space )

once it gets completed, restart your computer and tell me the result.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Do I need to plug the internet cable back on?
Expert:  Aitizaz replied 4 years ago.
No! its not required
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
will you stay with me as I try this?
Expert:  Aitizaz replied 4 years ago.
yes! please Bookmark this page and you will be able to contact me again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok I restarted the PC pressed f8 and clicked on safe mode but now I'm frozen again
Expert:  Aitizaz replied 4 years ago.
ok! We have now two conditions infront of us.

1. Hard Disk problem.
2. Software/operating system issue.

now clear out one out of the two, we need to check out whether the operating system is fine. To do this, you will need to have a CD of your Windows. Do you have it?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes I have it - I'll power down my PC - when do I insert the windows CD? right at startup? or when?
Expert:  Aitizaz replied 4 years ago.
just insert the CD now and restart your computer. Boot from CD ROM.and do the repair process.

You know how to repair it? if not, tell me your version of WIndows ( XP, vista or 7 ) and i will send you the link for that.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have windows XP - my cd says Windows 98
Expert:  Aitizaz replied 4 years ago.
well you cannot repair Window Xp with Windows 98 CD. But you can take advantage of windows 98 CD by using its DOS mode and writing down the following commands:

1. Boot computer with CD ROM support when its prompted.
2. in the DOS mode, please write cd\ and press Enter.
3. now write the following command

chkdsk /f

and press Enter. Do take care of the space.

now it will check your disk. once its completed take out the CD and restart your computer. tell me the result.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not working keeps getting frozen before I can do anything - I also have a Windows 98 USB drivers CD would this help? otherwise I'm still frozen
Expert:  Aitizaz replied 4 years ago.
when you insert the windows 98 CD and restart your computer, and select BOOT FROM CD ROM, it freezes there?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't even get to that prompt - it never opens - whats happening is that it goes into the scanning mode because I shut down unappropriately so it starts scanning and then I go the desktop restore and it freezes there, so my cd never even opens -- I found a Windows CD USB Drivers would this help?
Expert:  Aitizaz replied 4 years ago.
please you need to boot your computer from CD ROM ( windows 98 ). to do this, go to your BIOS by press either F2 or Del and under Boot Menu, select First Boot Device as CD ROM.

now save setting by pressing F10. This will restart your computer. Now it will prompt you that "Press any key to boot from CD ROM". You need to press a Key on the keyboard.

It will show you three options. you need to select START COMPUTER WITH CD ROM SUPPORT.

then follow the instrucitons i have given you in my previous post.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok I rebooted and pressed F2 and it started scanning and it froze on this message

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\windows\system32\drivers\Mup.sys
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
are you still there?
Expert:  Aitizaz replied 4 years ago.
your hardware has some problem. Please contact your nearest technician or hardware vendor so that he may resolve this issue. This matter relates to your hard disk. It has either bad sectors or has been configured wrongly.
Aitizaz, Software Engineer
Experience: Vast exp. in troubleshooting,maintenance and counselling
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok Aitizaz thanks for all your help
Expert:  Aitizaz replied 4 years ago.
thank you very much and i am sorry that your problem was not solved here!