James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.
24111805

Hello I have a Dell dimension 4550, It will not start up. All

Customer Question

Hello I have a Dell dimension 4550, It will not start up. All I get is a blank screen with strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility. when i press F1 it repeats the same message F1 after about thirty seconds.
Category: Computer
Expert:  James replied 6 years ago.
Your description points to a hardware problem. To figure out which component is causing the issue, do this:
1. Disconnect all internal cables (hard drives, CD, USB). Leave BUS power from the power supply connected, as well as the thin wires that go to the power button, LEDs, etc.
2. Remove all PCI/PCIE cards (except Video if not on board)
3. Remove all memory sticks except one.
4. Power up. If the problem still happens, replace the memory stick, and test again. If the problem still happens, you need a new motherboard.
5. If the problem is gone, start adding the components back and connect cables one at a time, until you find the faulty component.

Thanks,

James.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello, It says "no boot device available, strke F1 to retry boot" ,when F1 is pressed the same message reappears.
Expert:  James replied 6 years ago.
Okay, got it. So this means the computer cannot communicate with the hard drive. The most likely cause for this is is a failed hard drive (though it can also be a problem with the drive controller). The first thing I'd do is replace the hard drive, and see if the computer recognizes the new drive.

J.