mary
mary, Consultant
Experience:  MCA (Masters in Computer Application
18613681

I have duplicate songs listed in my Windows Media player Library.

Customer Question

I have duplicate songs listed in my Windows Media player Library. How do I get rid of the duplicates or start over by deleting the windows media library?
Category: Computer
Expert:  mary replied 6 years ago.

HiCustomer Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer.

Open the main folder where you have all the song files and it will automatically be sorted by name remove the same name files which is duplicate and then create a new playlist.

To create a play list open the link below:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/windowsmediaplayer/getstarted/makeplaylist.mspx

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

This reply will not work as I have thousands of duplicates. I have songs from over 40 years of collecting and have been loading the last 25 years.

The problem was created when I consolidated some music folders and windows media went out and "found" new and added them to it's library.

I'm looking for the file name where windows Media stores the song names, so I can delete it and reload. OR a windows media command that will sort and delete all duplicates in it's song Library. OR of course any other method that works!

Expert:  mary replied 6 years ago.
use a tool to delete duplicate songs from the music library, use duplicate finder 2009 for such issue.

http://www.duplicate-finder-pro.com/
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm sorry, but I do not have duplicate song files on my computer. I have duplicate song addresses in the Windows Media song library. Go back to my last statement.

Windows Media player processed the songs in folder "A" and when I moved the songs to Folder "B" to be with other songs, Windows Media Player processed (added to it's Library) the songs again when found in folder "B". This duplicated the songs (addresses)in the windows Media players library. Note: the songs only exits in folder "B" now.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I guess we are not going to solve this problem.

I will try one more time. When I run Windows Media Player to Play songs the program (Windows Media Player) shows duplicate songs in it's library. When I click on one it can not execute because it can not find the song. When I click on the other (Duplicate) it plays. Only one is in a Folder file. See previous example of how this happened. Now sence Windows Media Player will not delete references that have no connection. I'm trying to find a way to do it, like delete the file that contains these references..

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Stop!!!! I found the solution. In Windows Media Player, under organize, it added music folders on its own. if you remove this folders it will delete the files associated with the removed folder.

Now we know!

Expert:  mary replied 6 years ago.
I'll open up your question for the other Experts to offer their input on this matter
Another expert would be with you shortly.