Linda Cintron
Linda Cintron, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  20 years Experience
33628448

my search in outlook stops at 12/17/2009. It will not find

my search in outlook stops at 12/17/2009. It will not find info past that date. Is there a quick solution?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Linda Cintron replied 7 years ago.
How r u searching exactly? What r u looking for? Maybe u have the syntax wrong. Let me know!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Use the search box upper right on Outlook 2007. Searching for a name in my inbox. I will put in a name of a person I receive emails from all the time and it stops in mid Dec even though I have emails from them after that.
In the search window, there is a date range, u need to modify that. U must have it ending in mid Dec.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I tried that already. Using the arrow next to the search box and it has a yellow drop down box that allows you to change the search to this year, month week etc but when it is changed to this year I get an error msg that access is denied verify that disc is not full or write protected.

I know there myust be a date change or checked box somewhere but am asking you where it is.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
I am not getting a complete search in my outlook 2007. the search stops December 19 2009. When I use the drop down box next to the search box and enter this year on the right side drop down i get an error message "access denied. Verify that disc is not full or write protected" there must be a simple solution where a checked box is not checked or something.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
This does not answer the queston. I knew the optons at the search box. They do not have date oxes. If I put this year it gives an error message.There must be a solution on setup somewhere.
I was responding to what u asked. U nvr mentioned the access denied error. U had just said that u were only getting messages til Dec. when searching for a particular one.

Possible causes

The indexing of your data files might not be complete. Indexing is what enables the Instant Search feature to quickly locate items.

Note When you first start using Instant Search, Outlook needs to index your data files to provide fast and complete search results. This process might take several minutes.

Resolving indexing issues

Verify that your Outlook data files can be indexed

Outlook indexes the following data files:

This includes Microsoft Windows Live Mail, IMAP, and POP e-mail accounts. If you use a Microsoft Exchange account (much more common in business e-mail systems than in a home or personal account), you must be connected to the server running Exchange and use Cached Exchange Mode for Instant Search to index your messages. Cached Exchange Mode uses an Offline Folders file (.ost) to save your information on your computer. To verify which data files are being indexed, do the following:

1. On the Tools menu, point to Instant Search, and then click Search Options.

Alternatively, click the arrow in the Instant Search pane, and then click Search Options on the menu.

2. Under Indexing, verify that the data files that you want to include in your search are selected in the Index messages in these data files list.

Verify that indexing is complete

To verify the indexing status, do the following:

1. On the Tools menu, point to Instant Search, and then click Indexing Status.

Alternatively, click the arrow in the Instant Search pane, and then click Indexing Status on the menu.

2. Verify that the dialog box reports 0 items remaining. If not, indexing is not complete and needs to finish before all of your Outlook items can be searched.
Then try search again.

Edited by Linda Cintron on 4/5/2010 at 1:46 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
ok
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
indexing is complete I have 0 remaining items and I do not use an exchange server. It still does not find any searches of items beyond Dec 2009
How many messages do u have in Outlook 2007 currently?

Because of the error u mentioned: 'Verify that disc is not full or write protected'
It tells me that u probably have too many messages stored on Outlook 2007 so that's why it can't find all your emails after mid Dec.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Does archived messages count? I only have 1 year of messages in my outlook folders. I have a seperate computer that has more messages in the folders but let me try losing some messages. Please let me know about the archived messages
Archived messages on Outlook would still take space on your hard drive. That's why its giving u a full error message. That's probably why it won't show up all messages u r searching for as well. It all makes sense to me.

If this works, please accept!