RPI Solutions
RPI Solutions, Support Specialist
Experience:  5+ Years in IT, BS in Computer Science
14124282

Im having problems signing into my Gmail accounts. The passwords

Customer Question

I'm having problems signing into my Gmail accounts. The passwords for both are not accepted - and instead of the questions I had listed to answer to enable me to sign in if I forgot my password XXXXX not available either. I have the option to answer a "Temporary Question" where I'm to name the person who "was" my best friend. That didn't work either even after I'd listed the name of every friend I've ever had. The other option was to check for an email sent to my alternate email I'd listed when I began my accounts. They have it listed as *******@gmail.com. Not only is that an unfunny joke, but I'm certain I listed my Yahoo email address for this purpose.
Any hints? Also ...today my computer has given me some rather strange messages such as it can't connect to the url for iTunes - even though I have it running, and also that it cannot connect to Firefox even though I'm using that browser. Any idea what is going on - And/or how to fix it? I'm expecting an extremely important email.
Update: I was able to gain access to both of my gmail accounts - and did not use the suggestions from your expert - as I said I was already on the page (that he didn't name) when he contacted me.
So I have to say that, at least this time (first) using your page - I was not satisfied with any answers. Please do NOT charge my account. Thank you.
Connie Hafeli Shourt
Category: Computer
Expert:  RPI Solutions replied 4 years ago.
Hello Sir or Madam,

Welcome to JustAnswer Computers. I will be happy to help you with your computer problem today.

Sounds like your accounts were phished, the people then logged in and changed all of your security settings. Have you filled out the Google form where you input as much information as possible and then they review it and get back to you in a few weeks? That's your only other option.

Thanks,
Robert Preston
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not certain which page you are referring to. I'm currently on this page with Google:
http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=33561.
Is this the page you mean?

This may solve the problem when I'm finished with their questions ... However, I do not understand the "phishing " routine at all. I thought I was protected from this activity - though I really do not understand it - especially the purpose for it. Please explain.

Can this compromise my credit card information? It seems to have happened after I paid for some legal advice. I'm expecting an extremely important email from them today at myXXX@XXXXXX.XXX address.
The idea of phishing can be a number of things for example
(1) You receive an email that purports to be from a bank or some other account you use. You go to the site, it looks identical to the real page so you try to login. It sends you to the real page but the username/password XXXXX sent to someone else and they then log into your account.

(2) A program on your computer, a virus of sorts, called a key logger that basically records everything you type. Another way to get a username/password

Yes that's the page

Thanks,
Rob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm concerned - if it is a virus or "phishing" activiy - this has not happened to me ever in over 15 years. I do not bank online, but could my credit card information be in danger?

Should I attempt to log onto other sites that require log-on information to see if they have been compromised as well. Or, put more plainly, how can I find out if there is a virus or if phishing activity has indeed occured.

I use AVG for protection against viruses, etc.

Thank you for your help and patience with my questions. I will indeed accept your answer when I can more readily understand what could be the problem here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I do not understand how to utilize the information on this "Administrative Password XXXXX " page.

I do not have a "domain". I have been trying to access the information relating to the name of my computer - it's my name, but I do not know how I am supposed to proceed.

I also checked my computer for viruses, etc. and it comes up clean.

Thank you.
This is the page you should be going through:

Click Here

I would say that your credit card info is probably safe, unless you've used google checkout in the past. Most likely your email accounts were stolen to be used to send out spam mail by a bot network, not to steal your information.

Thanks,
Rob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I appreciate your efforts in able to help me resolve my problem. Unfortunately, nothing has aided me to access my accounts. Definitely a new problem for me ...

If you have any other information you could contribute to helping me with this problem please send it along. I am more than willing to pay for any solution which could help.

Thank you very mucy,

Connie Shourt

I've given you every possible solution. Filling out that page is the last line of an attempt as Gmail does not provide live customer service of any sort.

Rob
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Apologies for taking this long to reply.

I've tried the suggestions you provided - which are all suggested by Google itself. I realize you are in a bind since it appears you aren't privy to any more information than I am about this problem. Put plainly - Google offers the same info about recovering one's account, and following that advice, jumping through all of their limited hoops - has not worked.

If you have come upon some way to work arouond their system, I'd be interested. As it is - I'm seriously frustrated - since I have important emails waiting - and am giving up again.

Thank you for your attempt to help. But I cannot pay the fee as it stands - since nothing you suggested wasn't already on the Google website and nothing works.

Thank you,
Connie Hafeli Shourt

There is no other way to do it. Sorry. You asked a question, I gave you the answer. I did my job as agreed.

Thank you,
Robert Preston
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
The person who was helping me was polite and attempted to be helpful - but was giving me answers to my Gmail problem that I had already used. Also - and this may be helpful to him regarding an "incomplete answer" - after I told him I had exhausted all of the options on Gmail's "help" page, he replied, "Sounds like your accounts were phished, the people then logged in and changed all of your security settings. Have you filled out the Google form where you input as much information as possible and then they review it and get back to you in a few weeks? That's your only other option." That was the page I was on when I asked the question. I also listed a few odd problems my computer was telling me I had that day, and could that be part of the problem. I didn't receive an answer to that question. An update: Was able to get into one of the Gmail accounts by answering the security question. It did not say it was a "temporary" security question as does the other Gmail account. So if anyone else there has an idea about how to bypass this stubborn password XXXXX - or retrieve my original security question - it would be greatly appreciated.