Julio
Julio, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  Computer Engineer/ Software Troubleshooting
28896607

Trying to open a pdf file, however windows media player opens

Trying to open a pdf file from my email, however windows media player opens with error message that it cannot open this file. I have tried the default program to set association-using Windows XP
Try this:

Right-click a PDF file, and click Open With.
Select Choose Default Program.
Select Acrobat Reader (browse for it)
Check the box on the bottom that says "Always use this program for this type of file..".

J.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What, I must not have been clear, these are files sent via email-pdf or otherwise it always defaults to windows media player and therefore will not open. I have tried to go into the defaults menu and find the pdf default option for the acrobat reader-its not on my computer that I can find. I just downloaded the acrobat reader -again- its listed under programs.
Right click one of those PDF files in your email, and save it to disk. Then do the procedure I described on that file. Reboot your computer, and try to open it from an email message again.

J.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I think I need to change to associate a file-pdf files with the acrobat reader as they are defaulting to windows media player-which cannot open pdf files.

Thanks for visit Justanswer.com

Try this following steps :
- Open My Computer
- Click Tools - Folder Options
- Click File Types Tab
- Search for PDF extension in the list box
- Click Change
- Select Acrobat Reader
- Checkmark Always use the selected program
- Click OK.

graphic

Thanks
Julio, Computer Software Engineer
Experience: Computer Engineer/ Software Troubleshooting