Santonu
Santonu, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Diploma in Hardware
13934950

My Acer Aspire 5610z wont boot up, the screen is black, the

My Acer Aspire 5610z won't boot up, the screen is black, the power light is on, but it doesn't access the hard drive nor the DVD drive. Running Vista premium. 3 years of service. Went black while running, sitting on couch. Did it get too hot? What can I do to remedy this? Thanks.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.

Please try the following and let me know the results

Disconnect battery and adapter.

At the back of the system, you will see a memory access cover. Take out the memory access cover.

First try to reseat the memory modules. If there are more than one modules installed, test the system with a single module at a time.

Let me know

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There are two modules. both well seated. I removed the top one. Should I replace the batter and attempt to start up the computer?
Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
Test the system with a single module at a time. If everything remain same,

Turn off the system.

Take out both memory modules

Take a single module and connect it to a memory slot.

Turn it on. If no display, turn off and connect the same module to the other slot.

Turn it on again.

Repeat the same steps with the other memory module.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried each module in each socket, but no start up in any position.
Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
And do you get any beep sounds when you try to start the system without any memory modules connected.

Take out both modules and then try to turn it on.

Let me know if you get any beep sounds

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No, nothing at all. The fan runs briefly then stops. Nothing lights up except the "on" light. Screen black. Hard drive and DVD indicator lights remain off.
Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
Next turn off the system and disconnect hard drive and CD/DVD drive

Press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds.

Take out the memory modules (if connected)

Connect adapter (do not connect battery)

Now turn it on and let me know if you get any beep sounds

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No beeping sounds
Expert:  Santonu replied 4 years ago.
Unfortunately the results of the tests you performed so far points to a motherboard problem.

This problem can also occur due to overheating (thermal event). But in that case the system will turn itself off after a few seconds.

Another reason can be memory problem. But it is unlikely that both memory modules will become faulty at the same time.

One final check will be to:

1 Connect an external monitor the the VGA output and then turn on the system (with the memory modules connected). You need to press Fn + F5 to switch the display to external monitor.

2 Make sure the the adapter is working properly.

You can test the voltage output of the adpater using a multimeter and match it with its
specs.

If the adapter is working properly and you do not get any display with an external monitor, then the problem is with motherboard.

Edited by Santonu on 4/2/2010 at 3:23 AM EST
Santonu, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Diploma in Hardware