Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster, Consultant

hp dv9205us laptop.... power lights come on, cant hear fan,

Customer Question

hp dv9205us laptop.... power lights come on, can't hear fan, lights go off immediately, computer won't start.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Anthony Brewster replied 6 years ago.
Hello, do you hear any beeping sounds? Does the lcd screen try to light up at all?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no beeping sounds... lcd screen doesn't try to light... power light is one where ac adaptor is plugged in to laptop... power lights on keyboard come on for 2 seconds and then go off... no cd's in the drive, battery is out

Thanks. You need to replace the motherboard. This is how I know that its the problem.

1) If it was the memory, it would make beeping nosies but you could still acess the BIOS and etc...(NOT THE CASE)

2) If it was the hard drive, you should at least get to the OEM Logo Screen and access the BIOS but everything else will lock up/freeze or just not boot at all...(NOT THE CASE)

3) If it was the power supply, the computer would not turn on at all or it would have fried the motherboard if it was the wrong one...(NOT THE CASE)

4) If its the motherboard, you will not get nothing at all except for some lights or if you do, you will not be able to do anything and it will shut you down or remain a black screen...(THE PROBLEM)

If your still under warranty then call HP to replace this or get the warranty extended.

HP: 1-800-474-6836 (USA)

Motherboard Replacement

NOTE: HP Laptops are very known to overheat and the motherboard is always replaced after 1 year for many either hp/compaq. I had a new one the TouchSmart from HP and it was horrible so I went back to dell. For laptops, dell has the best.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
that sucks.... of course it's over the warranty... another hp laptop that a friend had fried it's motherboard too... you have any idea what a new one would cost or just go to dell and get a new one

Dell. As far as getting a good deal check ebay. I got the new Dell StudioXPS 1640 myself and I love it. Of course you can find better deals than that as I paid like $1,015.00 for mine but that was by far cheaper than dells website hehe.

Check these out... i.html?LH_Price=300..700%40c&Type=Laptop%252FNotebook&Condition=New%252C%2520Sealed%2520in%2520Box&Memory%2520%2528RAM%2529=4%2520GB%2520or%2520more&Hard%2520Drive%2520Capacity=350%2520GB%2520or%2520more&_nkw=Dell%20Laptop&_dmpt=Laptops_Nov05&_fln=1&_ssov=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
well i'm pretty choked about the damn laptop bein fried as i'm sure you can imagine..... was gonna cost me $18 bucks for your answer which i "don't like"... not your fault of course... you just answered the question.... can i not accept your anwser and give you a freebie to one of my golf sites? You a golfer?

Sorry im not. If you like I can let you change the payment down to 9 dollars instead.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
guess we'll do that then....

Thanks! I will send an email request to our Admin Dept to make the changes. Then you will be notifed by email and then you can click on accept there after.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yeh, thanx for making my day

Sorry, but hey at least now you wont make this mistake again right? HP has awesome desktop computers but for there laptops im not sure why they arent great.

Dell - Best deals and quality and the last for years

IBM/Lenovo - very pricey but good systems

Sony-Viao - very pricey but good systems as well

Toshiba - 50/50 depending on the system you get but they have issues 2

Acer - the WORST company ever and all there systems have hardware issues even from day 1

Emachines/Gateway - now partners with acer so pretty much not worth it either...

Good Luck!