Shauqat
Shauqat, Computer Engineer
Experience:  CCNA, 12+ Years Repairing desktops and laptops
31095191

Dell Dimension 2400 cant be turned on -amber light flashing

Dell Dimension 2400 can't be turned on -XXXXX XXXXXght flashing on front -diagnostic lights on back are off indicating a possible pre-BIOS failure -what do I do, please?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Shauqat replied 4 years ago.
Hi

Thank you for your query

Please can you try the following and advise of outcome

1) Remove all cables from the back of the PC
2) Press and hold the power button on the tower for approx 30 seconds
3) Plug everything back in and retry

Please advise of result

Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We have tried what you instructed, but there is no change -i.e. still XXXXX XXXXXght flashing on the front
Expert:  Shauqat replied 4 years ago.
If the there is a pre bios failure then that would normally indicate the motherboard is on its way out and will need to be changed

The only other thing you can try is to and only do this if you feel confident

1) remove all the wires
2) Open the PC
3) Locate the ram sticks, these will lock like long rectangular sticks which are plugged into the motherboard, you will need to remove them then blow on them and then reseat them, if it still occurs then im afraid it is a motherboard failure

But please only do this if you are confident, I would highly recommended that you book the PC into a reputable PC shop for either of the 2 things

Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We have opened up the PC and taken out the ram & put it back in. Cleaned off the dust, but didn't blow on the ram. Should we blow on them? What would blowing on them accomplish?
Expert:  Shauqat replied 4 years ago.
Its normally just to get rid of any little bits on there, not essential but one of those things that need to be done when the RAM is taken out

Has this worked or is it the same issue?

Regards
Shauqat
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is the same issue, so we will book it in to a PC shop.

Thank you for your help.

Expert:  Shauqat replied 4 years ago.
Ok apologies, but I think it will be the motherboard that will need replacing

Regards
Shauqat
Shauqat, Computer Engineer
Experience: CCNA, 12+ Years Repairing desktops and laptops