Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

a small pop up window appears when I open or try to execute

a small pop up window appears when I open or try to execute a command in AOL; it is a small blank box with an x to close it. Once it appears, no AOL feature work until the x is checked several times and then it re-appears after the next screen opens -- totally frustrating; have started using AOL only through Firefox
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Hello, and welcome to Just Answer..

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am one of the experts who will be assisting you!

I have a few suggestions, if the first doesnt work, dont worry.. i will stick with you on this till its resolved..

please go to the link below..

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

download the program malwarebytes, there are several programs on the page so only click the link to donwload malwarebytes..

Once downloaded, install the free version, then update it, then run the program..
Have it perform a fullscan.. then when it is finished open the scan log, copy and paste the log into a message here, so i can view what it found..

Then before closing malwarebytes, have it remove what it found..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
got to the download but cant seem to open or use
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
I think i know whats happening.. You definitely have a virus, and its blocking malwarebytes from installing, which is a known virus killer..

no worries, i know a few workarounds..

save that malwarebytes download. and keep in mind where its at, you will run it in a minute to install it by double clicking it..

first..

DANGEROUS URL REMOVED

download the small program rkill

once downloaded install it.. then run it.. it will flash, and so its thing.. it should shut down the virus long enough to click on the malwarebytes file yiou downloaded first and get it installed..

let me know what happens, we may need a different approach!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
how do i download "rkill"
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/grinler/rkill. com

ok, the site blocked out the link i sent you, so here it is again.. above..

i will need you to copy and paste it, and then edit the link above,..

emove the spaces at the end between rkill. and com

make sure to leave the period .

then the link will work,, download the program from that link, install it, then run it, then quicly attempt to install the malwarebytes download..

let me know what happens!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry i got disconnected from u and then couldnt get back - kill.com did not link to a website but a list of ads
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Ok.. lets do this another way.. i personally uploaded a copy of the file to the link below..

http://www.mediafire.com/?nkhmaj3ojmw

please click the link, download, and then install the file..

then run it..

then quickly try to install malwarebytes..

let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
three items are flashing
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
three items are flashing when you ran the first program...

ok,, try to install malwarebytes

if you cant find the file, download it again from here..

http://www.download3k.com/DownloadLink1-Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware.html

let me know if you can download, and if you can, install it..

let me know if this is possible.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
downloaded from link; instruction appears with what will happen but nothing happens
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
is the file that downloaded, called, mbamsetup.exe?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
found it with wind explorer; scan is running now
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
excellent,, it may take it a while to finish, depending on several factors..

when it does finish it will produce a log file, and tell how many infected objects it found..

Please copy and paste the log file to me, and do not close malwarebytes untill you have it remove the infections..

I will be standing by to assist when the scan has completed!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Only one registry file error found by malwarebytes (log pasted below) but kill.com shows three other items, two "critical" trojans. ran "full" scan after and it found 0 additional items

Scan type: Quick Scan
Objects scanned: 111530
Time elapsed: 3 minute(s), 4 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 1
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Keys Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Values Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer\NoActiveDesktopChanges (Hijack.DisplayProperties) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Folders Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Files Infected:
(No malicious items detected)
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
My apologies for the delay..

did you run the full scan, or the quick scan of malwarebytes?

we need to do the fullscan if it hasnt been done..

also, one malwareprogram isnt always enough to catch everything, rkill saw it, but couldnt get to it..

so lets run a few more programs to be safe ( all free)

Here is the link for the microsoft malicious software removal tool, please download , install it, then run it.. Let me know if it finds any malicious software.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=AD724AE0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en

also..

then go to the link below..

download spybot search and destroy, and then install it and run it..

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/ownmirrors1/index.html

these should run faster..

**note** if malwarebytes did not run a full scan please do so.

then try to use aol again.. any improvement.?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
AOL problem continues - off for tonight will check in tomorrow thanks
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Allright. only a small number of settigs to check left at this point..

Speak with you tommorow!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ran full scan and also the others you listed; still no change. firefox and internet explorer both working fine. no problem on AOL if i go there via firefox rather than AOL. Incidentally, I earlier removed AOL from my computer and re-installed it without any improvement. I can run AOL without problems on my laptop and netbook.

Will be in and out this afternoon but appreciate any help you can give. At the end of this I will "accept answer" even if we don't find the answer - as long as we gave it a good try.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Hello again..

we will find the answer.. I just cannot gurantee if it will be the next step, or the tenth..

As long as you stay with me , we will get to the bottom of it..

( even if its only an hour or two every other day or so, whenever is convenient for you!)

So just to verify, aol email worked ok on firefox yes?

So there isnt any issue with the account, or with your computers ability to access it..

just with the function of the aol program itself on your computer right?

Ok, can you tell me what version you have of aol.. 8.0 , 9.5?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
correct; AOL functions correctly on all other machines and as a guest on other machines; also it functioned correctly on this machine when I set it up in November of 09. The problem started either in late December or early January. I am running AOL 9.5.I was going to copy the list of software downloaded but copy function doesn't seem to work for that. I am also running Roxio which has caused problems in the past on other machines

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Ok..

lets try and rule out a conflicting program issue..

press the windows key on your keyboard and press R.

Type in msconfig and press enter..

Now click on the tab for startup, and then click disable all, click apply, then click ok..

now restart the computer.. try aol again..

any improvement?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
sorry to report no improvement the $%^&ng little box still appears as soon as I open AOL
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Ok.. before we continue.. i need to know.. do you care about the emails stored in the personal filing cabinet on your computer for aol..

or do you leave all your emails on the online account ?

need to know, because we are about to wipe every trace of aol off the system, and then do a clean install..

( if it worked in november, it can work again. and this will save you a lot of time and frustration to just start aol from scratch)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have some e-mail saved on computer that are not on line. If you don't see a problem, I will back up my AOL e-mail file on an external drive. I will try to do this now but may run out of time in which case I will let you know as soon as I have done it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have backed up old e-mails so ready for ANYTHING!!!
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Ok,, i was just waiting on the go ahead from you..

first step, uninstall aol normally.. through the control panel..

once uninstalled.. the next step is important

please press the windows key on your keyboard and E..

now click on tools, folder options, view..

check the box for show hidden files and folders, and then click apply, then ok..

let me know when these two steps are done..

do not reinstall aol
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
AOL removed but when I hit windows plus E I get the overall computer screen showing the various drives as if I had selected "computer" on windows explorer. FYI I am running Windows 7 64
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
that is the right screen i want you to be on.. but

( i forgot you had windows 7 64, ihave the same though)

after hitting windows + e

on the top left click organize, then folder and search options. then click the view tab

then under advanced settings, hidden files and folders, click the bubble for show hidden files and folders, then click apply, then click ok.

when that is done, let me know..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
DONE
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
excellent

now , id like you to click start

right underneath where it says all programs,,, it has a small text box that says

search programs and files

type in aol dont hit enter .. then on the left side, you will see a list of entries

anything that comes up with aol, we need to right click and delete ( make sure it has aol in it..)

than type in america , and do the same as above.. although, make sure that it has to do with aol... ( i dont know if you have video games or other programs that might include america.)

let me know how this part goes..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
DONE only issue there where three generations of a file "aoldnld" which could not be deleted because it said it was moved or changed - I may have deleted these earlier but not sure
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Ok, lets empty the recycle bin.. then restart the computer

then , just for good measure

search programs and files

type in aol again..

( sometimes aol files can re-appear.)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
DONE same result all files except the ones notes earlier are gone
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Ok... lets do one last thing..

please go to the link below.. about midway down the page you will see the link for windows installer cleanup utility..
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

please download, and then install, and then run the windows installer cleanup utility.

if you see any trace of aol, remove it.

then.. restart the computer , press f8 to go to safe mode with networking.. then download a fresh copy of aol 9.5, then install it..

Let me know the results of this..

I wil be away from the computer for about an hour.. First thing when i get back i will log on and respond to whatever messages you have sent!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Nothing is easy! When I try to run the clean-up program I get an error message:
cannot find script engine VBScript for script
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Ok..

lets try a different program then..

http://www.revouninstaller.com/

download the free version of revo uninstaller from the page above, then install it and run it.. remove anytraces of aol..

then restart the computer and install aol.. let me know what happens!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I regret to report that I went through the above steps re-loaded AOL and the little box appeared as if nothing had changed. The same problem of AOL freezing still occurs. I have Googled the "strange little box on AOL" to see if anyone else had the same problem but did not find any relevant issues or posts
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Ok.. i would like you to try something..

restart the computer, press f8 , choose safe mode with networking..

now try to start aol in safe mode with networking, does the same thing happen>?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
YES! The same thing happens; the box looks slightly different due to the different graphics but it has the same effect
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
If you would, i would like you to send a screenshot of the box, and any others you get..

to take a screen shot, have the box on the screen and then press the printscreen button..

It may be labeled as PrtSc and it should be above or near the backspace key..

press and hold it for a second..

and then open microsoft paint..

then inside paint, press control and V

it should show the screen shot now..

then, click file, and save the file.. remember the name and location..

then go to

www.mediafire.com and upload the file there..

then when its uploaded, click the link to share.. then copy and paste the share link to me..

then i will be able to see what your seeing, and that will help greatly..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My apologies! I have never used mircosoft paint before and cannot find it in my programs.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Thats ok..

you have windows 7 right?>

ok, lets do this the easy way.. click start..

then right under where it says all programs you will see a text box for

search programs and files

type in paint.. dont press enter..

on the upper left it will say paint, click on it there to open paint
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/emufmdftfzc/little%20box.png

Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Ok,, i just seen your message..

My email provider is having difficulties lately.. I apologize for the delay in response time but its beyond my control...

If youd like me to opt out, maybe another expert isnt having email issues right now and could respond faster..

Let me know, and if thats your choice, i completely understand,..

Till then,, i looked at the picture..

i want you to try a quick test if you could..

your on windows 7 right?

so try this..

click start, then right under where it says all programs, is a small text box that says

search programs and files in that box please type in user ( dont hit enter, just type it in)

then on the left will show a list of choices, under control panel, click user accounts..

then , inside user accounts, click manage another account, then click create another account.. name it test.. make it an admin account..

then once created, shut down the computer, and then log into that account..

on the test windows account, try to install and run aol 9.5.. does it still do the box thing?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I will do as you suggest, but probably not until tomorrow; as for changing consultants - "I'm OK if you're OK". In fact, using AOL on this particular machine is hardly a critical application for me. Further I think you have already earned your fee if not for results yet - certainly for effort, so keep it up as long as you like, but I will "accept payment" anytime you want to move on to other things/
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Sounds good to me..

we can worry about payment later.. I wont move on to other things.. Its a curse or a blessing, but im stubborn and refuse to let the computer beat me at arm wrestling..

Whenever you have time to try, thats fine.. just send me a message and let me know the results..

The beauty of our system at justanswer. is we can work around each others schedules because of email.. you can take ten minutes today, and then skip two days and take 15 minutes next week, and we can work through this, as we have time, without being stuck on hold listening to that elevator music for hours..!!

You may want to press control D , and save this page, so you can come back to it later and not have to start a new question.. which will charge you a new security deposit!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Sorry I have not been able to get back to this and I am leaving for a week in NYC tomorrow AM. I really appreciate your attempts to help and would like to continue when I return. As promised, however, I will "accept payment" if you prefer. I have not done so now because I don't know if doing so cancels the current "case." I will have an i phone with me so you can reach me by e mail atXXX@XXXXXX.XXX otherwise I am happy to pick this up again on April 6.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 years ago.
Thank you.. The payment cut off date for the month is the 31st.. It would be appreciated if you did accept payment.. It wont stop our correspondence.. Regardless, im going to stay with you on this till the resolution is achieved..

Good luck on your travels..
Dustin, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Worked With The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller