David L
David L, Systems Engineer
Experience:  Microsoft & Cisco Certified with over 20 years experience
13852270

Cant establish connection using VPN-Tina (Contivi

Customer Question

Can’t establish connection using VPN-Tina (Contivity VPN Client), the physical connection is OK, message “Checking for Banner text from: xxxxxxx” stays for several seconds, after ‘The secure contivity VPN connection has been lost…” message appears. It happened after I run ComboFix. It was not any malwares related issues on PC, I run it just in case. Everething else works just fine.
Thank you.
George
Category: Computer
Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you.

First, if this is a recent issue do the following:

1. Click the Start button, then click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click System Restore.
2. If you are prompted for an administrator password XXXXX confirmation, enter the password XXXXX provide confirmation.
3. Click the Restore My Computer To An Earlier Time radio button and click Next.
4. Now on the calendar that appears select the restore point that is at or before the date the issue first occurred and click Next.
5. Click Next again to start the restore process which will include a reboot.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello David,

It is a recent issue, happened yesterday, I alreasdy tried your suggestion to restore to an earleier version, after a whole process the message come upo that it is not possible to restore to the previous date. yes

Any other suggestions?

Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
If you have administrator permission on the account you use to login to the computer and the VPN software then uninstall the software, reboot then reinstall the software (since running combofix appears to have caused the issue it could be related to registry settings that can be fixed by a reinstall).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have adm. permission, but I do not have the VPN software available. If I uninstall it - will not be able to install it back.

VPN software doesn not hava any options/menus to change settings.

We need to fix the registry settings or some how to fix it differently.

I am a computer savy person, have done regedit things.

I would appreciate for helping to solve this problem.

Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Ok then next before looking at the registry try a couple of things to see if maybe another application is blocking the VPN. So next reboot and start tapping the F8 key before the Windows logo appears then select Safe Mode with Networking then after boot up try the VPN again and let me know if it connects.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

In the Safe Mode I can nolt establish internet connection, I am using broad band wireless card.

What I found:

In Program files/Tina-Vpn folder is a Baynet.tbk file, this was modified (looking at the date modified column) exactly during ComboFix.

I opened this file with notepad: (in parenteses I put comments and changed private info)

Description=TINA-VPN Access from (contry/site)
Dialup=(None)
Username= (my user name)
UseTokens=0
TokenType=3
UsePAPGroup=1
GroupName=default
SavePassword=0
Server= (IP address)
primaryDNS=
secondaryDNS=
primaryWINS=
secondaryWINS=
domainName=
DisableKeepalive=0

Those settings could be changed.

Just a thought: Finding what they should be may help.

Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Thank you - that is good information. It could be a DNS issue.

Next click Help then About in the VPN client software and let me know the exact name and version number.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Contivity VPN Client

V04_60.51

BL51

Running as a service

Logging is disabled

I also found on the web that it could be:

"NAT problem, wrong setting in my OS, changing registry in win XP may help"

Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Ok so next if you are using cable or DSL broadband power cycle the modem then when all lights are green power cycle the router and then reboot the PC and try again to connect (sometimes an issue such as this can be resolved by clearing memory on the network devices)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is no modem.

I am traveling and using broadband wireless card for internet connetions. It is Sprint Mobile Broandband Card - Sierra Wireless-AirCard 595.

I have already downloaded the software for this card and reinstalled, plus all related drivers. Nothing changed.

Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Next click Start, then Run and type Services.msc and press Enter then in the Services windows double click and stop each Symantec/Norton service and confirm that they remain stopped then try the VPN again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sopped all Symantec services, checked also in task manager that they are off.

Did not help.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

One thing to mention.

ComboFix has created Qoobox folder in C:

This has all reg editing backup files and other things.

How can i run ComboFix and restore them?

Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Well when you performed a System Restore, was one of the restore points from yesterday dated around the time you ran Combofix?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was runing ComboFix on Tuesday, after it crewed my system I was trying to restore the system for Monday date (one day before runing ComboFix). It did not work.

Can I restore reg entries by using Qoobox folder (created by ComboFix) with all backup files?

Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Yes, however the Qoobox folder is also the quarantine folder so make sure you only use the files in \Qoobox\HIV-Backup
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

In the Qoobox folder it is no such folder HIV-Backup, only BackEnv and Quarantine.

The problem is, I do not know how to restore files or do back up of those reg entry files.

I was trying to run the Windows recvovery consloe on the start up (this was insatlled by ComboFix), the problem is that on startup the blue pops and shows "windows is terminating in order to save your computer .......).

I need to find out how to restore those xxxx_reg.dat files from quarantine folder and xxxx.folder.dat files from BackEnv folder created by ComboFix.

Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
The backup should be in HIV-Backup. So I am going to open up this question to other experts that may have additional ideas.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks. The question should be rephrased to: XXXXX XXXXX restore backup files created by ComboFix, the combofix windows recovery console does not work either.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It is been more than 24 hours. My computer still is not fixed. No more help coming.

I want to reject my offer and look for help somewhere else.

Please canlcell my offer, close this request and refund the money.

I am appreciate for your effort.

Regards,

Jurgis

Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Ok I will forward your request to customer service.