bineesh
bineesh, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  MCSE and MCP Certified Engineer
27375559

Differentiate between a non-impact printer and an impact p

Customer Question

Differentiate between a non-impact printer and an impact printer.
Category: Computer
Expert:  bineesh replied 4 years ago.
Hello

Thanks for using Just Answer..

A printer is an output device that prints characters, symbols, and perhaps graphics on paper. The printed output is generally referred to as hardcopy because it is in relatively permanent form. Softcopy refers to temporary images such as those displayed on a monitor. Printers are categorized according to whether or not the image produced is formed by physical contact of the print mechanism with the paper. Impact printers have contact; nonimpact printers do not.

Impact printers

An impact printer has mechanisms resembling those of a typewriter. It forms characters or images by striking a mechanism such as a print hammer or wheel against an inked ribbon, leaving an image on paper. Impact printers are dying out; however, you may still come in contact with a dot-matrix printer. A dot-matrix printer contains a print head of small pins that strike an inked ribbon, forming characters or images. Print heads are available with 9, 18, or 24 pins; the 24-pin head offers the best print quality. Dot-matrix printers permit a choice between output of draft quality; a coarser-looking 72 dots per inch vertically, which may be acceptable for drafts of papers and reports, and near-letter-quality, a crisper-looking 144 dots per inch vertically, which is more suitable for a finished product to be shown to other people.

Dot-matrix printers print about 40-300 characters per second (cps) and can print some graphics, although the reproduction quality is poor. Color ribbons are available for limited use of color. Dot-matrix printers are noisy, inexpensive, and they can print through multipart forms, creating several copies of a page at the same time, which ninimpact printers cannot do.

Another type of impact printer is not used with microcomputers. Large computer installations use high-speed line printers, which print a whole line of characters at once rather a single character at a time. Some, called chain printers, contain characters on a rotating chain; others, called band printers, contain characters on a rotation band. Speeds of up to 3000 lines a minute may be possible with these machines.

Nonimpact Printers

Nonimpact printers, used almost everywhere now, are faster and quieter than impact printers because they have fewer moving parts. Nonimpact printers form characters and images without direct physical contact between the printing mechanism and the paper.

Two types of nonimpact printers often used with microcomputers are laser printers and ink-jet printers.

Laser Printer: Like a dot-matrix printer, a laser printer creates images with dots. However, as in a photocopying machine, these images are created on a drum, treated with a magnetically charged ink-like toner (powder), and then transferred from drum to paper.
- There are good reasons why laser printers are so popular. They produce sharp, crisp images of both text and graphics, providing resolutions from 300 dpi up to 1200 dpi, which is near-typeset quality (NTQ). They are quiet and fast. They can print 4-32 text-only pages per minute for individual microcomputers, and more than 120 pages per minute for mainframes. (Pages with more graphics print more slowly.) They can print in many fonts (type styles and sizes). The more expensive models can print in different colors.

- Laser printers have built-in RAM chips to store documents output from the computer. If you are working in desktop publishing and printing complicated documents with color and many graphics, you will need a printer with a lot of RAM. Laser printers also have their own ROM chips to store fonts and their own small dedicated processor. To be able to manage graphics and complex page design, a laser printer works with a page description language, a type of software that has become a standard for printing graphics on laser printers. A PDL (page description language) is software that describes the shape and position of letters and graphics to the printer. PostScript, from Adobe Systems, is one common type of page description language; HPGL, Hewlett-Packard Graphic Language, is another.

Ink-Jet printer: Like laser and dot-matrix printers, ink-jet printers also form images with little dots. Ink-jet printers spray small, electrically charged droplets of ink from four nozzles through holes in a matrix at high speed onto paper.

- Ink-jet printers can print in color and are quieter and much less expensive than a color laser printer. However, they are slower and print in a somewhat lower resolution (300-720 dpi) than laser printers. Some new, expensive ink-jet printers print up 1200 or 1400 dpi. High resolution output requires the use of special coated paper, which costs more regular paper. And, if you are printing color graphics at a high resolution on an ink-jet printer, it may take 10 minutes or more for a single page finish printing.

- A variation on ink-jet technology is the bubble-jet printer, which use miniature heating elements to force specially formulated inks through print heads with 128 tiny nozzles. The multiple nozzles print fine images at high speeds. This technology is commonly used in portable printers.
bineesh, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: MCSE and MCP Certified Engineer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Describe factors which affect the quality of computer input and output devices. Give practical examples where appropriate.

Expert:  bineesh replied 4 years ago.

Output is data that has been processed into a useful form called information. Four types of output are text, graphics, audio, and video.

• Text consists of characters (letters, numbers, punctuation marks, or any other symbol requiring one byte of computer storage space) that are used to create words, sentences, and paragraphs.
  • Graphics are digital representations of nontext information such as drawings, charts, photographs, and animation (a series of still images in rapid sequence that gives the illusion of motion).
  • Audio is music, speech, or any other sound.
  • Video consists of images played back at speeds to provide the appearance of full motion.

An output device is any computer component capable of conveying information to a user.

Identify the different types of display devices

A display device is an output device that visually conveys text, graphics, and video information. Information shown on a display device is called soft copy because the information exists electronically and is displayed for a temporary period of time. Display devices include CRT monitors, LCD monitors and displays, gas plasma monitors, and televisions.

• A CRT monitor is a monitor that is similar to a standard television set because it contains a cathode ray tube. A cathode ray tube (CRT) is a large, sealed, glass tube. The front of the tube is a screen coated with phosphor material that glows as an electron beam moves back and forth, which produces an image on the screen.
  • LCD monitors and LCD displays use liquid crystal to present information on the screen. A liquid crystal display (LCD) has liquid crystals between two sheets of material. When an electric current passes through the crystals, they twist, causing some light waves to be blocked and allowing others to pass through, which creates the images.
  • Similar to an LCD display, a gas plasma monitor is a flat-panel display. A gas plasma monitor, however, substitutes a layer of gas for the liquid crystal material. When voltage is applied, the gas releases ultraviolet light that causes pixels on the screen to glow and form an image.
  • An NTSC converter converts a computer’s digital signal into an analog signal that a standard television set can display. High-definition television (HDTV) is a type of television set that works with digital broadcasting signals and supports a wider screen and higher resolution than a standard television set.

factors that affect the quality of a display device

The quality of a CRT monitor depends largely on its resolution, dot pitch, and refresh rate. The quality of an LCD monitor or display depends primarily on its resolution.

A CRT monitor’s screen is coated with tiny dots of phosphor material, called pixels, that glow when electrically charged to produce an image.

• Resolution, which describes the sharpness and clearness of that image, is related directly to the number of pixels a monitor can display. The greater the number of pixels the display uses, the better the quality of the image.
  • Dot pitch, a measure of image clarity, is the distance between each pixel on a display. The smaller the distance between pixels (dot pitch), the sharper the image.
  • Refresh rate is the speed that a monitor redraws images on the screen. Refresh rate should be fast enough to maintain a constant, flicker-free image.

The resolution of an LCD monitor or display generally is proportional to the size of the monitor or display. That is, the resolution increases for larger monitors and devices.

Identify monitor ergonomic issues

The goal of ergonomics is to incorporate comfort, efficiency, and safety into the design of items in the workplace. Features that address monitor ergonomic issues include controls to adjust the brightness, contrast, positioning, and height and width of images. Newer monitors have digital controls that allow you to fine-tune the display. Many monitors also have a tilt and swivel base so the angle of the screen can be altered to minimize neck strain and glare. Monitors produce a small amount of electromagnetic radiation (EMR), which is a magnetic field that travels at the speed of light. High-quality monitors should comply with MPR II, a standard that defines acceptable levels of EMR for a monitor.

Differences among various types of printers

A printer is an output device that produces text and graphics on a physical medium such as paper or transparency film. Printed information is called hard copy because the information exists physically and is a more permanent from of output. Printers can be grouped in two categories: impact and nonimpact.

Impact printers form characters and graphics by striking a mechanism against an ink ribbon that physically contacts the paper.

• A dot-matrix printer is an impact printer that prints images when tiny wire pins on a print head mechanism strike an inked ribbon.
  • A line printer is an impact printer that prints an entire line at one time. Two popular types of line printers are band printers and shuttle-matrix printers.

Nonimpact printers form characters and graphics without actually striking the paper.

• An ink-jet printer is a nonimpact printer that sprays drops of ink onto a piece of paper.
  • A laser printer is a nonimpact printer that creates images using a laser beam and powdered ink, called toner.
  • A thermal printer is a nonimpact printer that generates images by pushing electrically heated pins against heat-sensitive paper. Although the print quality of standard thermal printers generally is low, two special types of thermal printers, thermal wax-transfer printers and dye-sublimation printers, have a much higher print quality.

Some printers are used for special purposes.

• A photo printer is a color printer that can produce photo lab quality pictures as well as printing everyday documents.
  • A label printer is a small printer that prints on an adhesive type material that can be placed on a variety of items.
  • A portable printer is a small, lightweight printer that allows a mobile user to print from a notebook or handheld computer while traveling.
  • Plotters are sophisticated printers used to produce high-quality drawings such as blueprints, maps, and circuit diagrams.
  • A large-format printer, which operates like an ink-jet printer but on a larger scale, creates photo-realistic quality color prints.

Factors affect the printer quality

Choice of Ink

· Two types of ink are mainly used in inkjet printers - dye based and pigments based inks. Read about the characteristics of these ink types in our printer ink article.

Choice of Paper

· Glossy papers and paper with optical brighteners can react badly to particles in the air and ultraviolet light. This will have a negative effect on the long term printout quality.

· The solution is to use premium archival printer paper that has been developed to be more fade resistant than ordinary printer paper. A premium printer paper is built up by different layers that all have their own purpose such as controlling the ink absorption, keeping moisture out, wrinkling resistance and creating a paper surface with the right characteristics and looks. If you want to be certain of the produced results, go for a paper and ink type that the original printer manufacturer recommends. Tip: Read our article about inkjet photo paper.

Light exposure

· If you store your printouts in direct light they will fade with time, the more intense the light is the faster the fading process will be. The solution is to store your printouts in a dark, dry and cool place. Modern inks such as HP Vivera Inks are made to resist the effects of direct sunlight, ultraviolet light and incandescent light.

Air exposure

· Dye based printouts with higher concentration of cyan color tones react badly to airborne chemicals and especially to ozone. The solution is to store them in a protected atmosphere which could mean storing them under plastic or glass. The plastic should be acid and lignin free in order to not react with the printout.

Heat and Humidity exposure

· Extensive heat will have an effect on both the paper and the ink dissolving the printout in the worst case. To high humidity may cause dye based inks to "move". What happens is that individual colors (i.e. dyes) may move at a different speed making the color balance and sharpness of the printout to deteriorate. It's recommended that you store your printouts in a dry and cool temperature that doesn't fluctuate too much.

Uses of speakers and headsets

An audio output device produces music, speech, or other sounds. Two commonly used audio output devices are speakers and headsets.

• Most personal computers have an internal speaker that outputs low-quality sound. Many users add high-quality stereo speakers or purchase PCs with larger speakers built into the sides of the monitor. A woofer can be added to boost low bass sounds.
  • A headset plugged into a port on the sound card allows only the user to hear sound from the computer.

Data projectors, fax machines, and multifunction devices

A data projector takes the image on a computer screen and projects it onto a large screen so that an audience of people can see the image. Two smaller, lower priced data projectors are an LCD projector, which uses liquid crystal display technology, and a digital light processing (DLP) projector, which uses tiny mirrors.

A facsimile (fax) machine transmits and receives documents over telephone lines. A fax modem is a communication device that allows you to send (and sometimes receive) electronic documents as faxes.

A multifunction device (MFD) is a single piece of equipment that looks like a copy machine but provides the functionality of a printer, scanner, copy machine, and sometimes a fax machine.

Let me know is this information helpful for you..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks
Expert:  bineesh replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for using Just Answer..

If this satisfies please leave a feedback also..
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Please provide Input AND Output answer??