Anthony Brewster
Anthony Brewster, Consultant

I was installing windows XP Pro SP3 in my dell computer P 4

I was installing windows XP Pro SP3 in my dell computer P 4 . It went trough collecting Information , Dynamic update , Preparing Installation . And stopped in installing windows ran for a wile about 1 ½ inch long ribbon. Then a large box came up with a blue header at top Hardware Installation worded in the header. In box :
The software you are installing for this hardware:

Intell{R} 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family

Has not passed windows logo testing to verify its compatibility with windows XP.

Continuing your installation of this software may impair or destabilize the correct operation of your system either immediately or in the future. Microsoft strongly recommends that you stop this installation now and contact the hardware vender for software that has passed windows logo testing .

Do you want to continue Installing the software for this hardware ? At the bottom of the box are two boxes Yes and NO . I tried clicking both and it will look like it is going to work but the same box comes back and it will freeze up. I can not get out of it. Pc will not turn off just re boots bringing the same box back even un plugged it. Only comes back with the same box . Wile it was booting back up the last time I kept pressing F8 trying to get it in safe mode. It did not work but it did come back with another box asking if I wanted to continue or cancel . I selected cancel. The same box I had before came back

Hello, what is the model/series of this dell?

Example: Dell Inspiron 200 (Desktop)
Example: Dell Inspiron 6400 (Laptop)

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Model # XXXXX A:2.0/1.0A Its processer is 4

Thanks! The model you gave me dont tell me anything. You should have it there on a sticker, if its a laptop look on the bottom of it.

Dell Inspiron

Dell Optiplex

Dell Studio (XPS)

Dell Dimension

There should be some numbers that would follow those words above. Otherwise, if you have the Service Tag, give me that instead.

Edited by Anthony Brewster on 3/9/2010 at 11:23 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No the only model no. Is on top of the case and it is. Model no. DHP A: 2.0/1.0A Fcc Class B. I might add the dish I was using wasn't a XP disk It was a dell Reinstallation CD Microsoft Windows XP Professional service pack 3 that came with the computer. The computer restore disk I guess. the PC is a low profile (3 1/2 inch wide)

Thanks! Do me a favor...

1) Go here:

2) Click Here To Download Your Free Copy Of The Belarc Advisor

3) Click Save and save it

4) Click Run and run it

5) Click Agree

6) Click Install

7) Click Yes

8) Click OK

Now another window will come up with all the info about your computer and system. Up at the top on the right-hand side it will tell info about your system.

Can you give me that info please?

Under the System Model it gives you the details for your System.

Example: Dell Inc. Studio XPS 1640 A123

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
You do know from my first writing that the computer in question is froze up and I can do nothing with it . That is the problem . I do remember a wile back. I had seen the word Optiplex when in system information.

Thanks! If it is freezing up now, then you will need to re-install windows again. Then you need to download and install the drivers (only) from the Dell website.

Then you should be ok. If your not using the original dell xp disc, you can order the one (free) from dell or buy one from ebay.

1) Turn on the computer

2) Start tapping/pressing F12 to get Boot Menu Options

3) Insert Dell XP Disc

4) Select DVD/CD-ROM and press enter

5) Press any key to start the installation

If you do not have it, call dell or order it online as its FREE and FREE shipping by FedEx.

Dell: 1-800-999-3355

Make sure when you get to the hard drive (partiton) part of the installation, you press D to delete what is there and L to confirm it until only 1 remains and its raw. Then proceed with the installation.

DELL: 1-800-999-3355

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I turned it off. but when i start it back the same box comes up. I tryed pressing F 12 wile it was booting. No change. Still hung up same box as I discribed at first. Cannot get out . Cannot go to any site with it. Only with this old Compaq Presario. Nevery seen any thing like it.

Thanks! Then you probaby are going to have to replace the hard drive as is sounds to be faulty. Then you should be able to boot the computer back up and running in no time. Get it from ebay, the old optiplex use a IDE Cable and just make sure its brand new and not more than 320GB HDD.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK I will plain to change it. May need help when I get ready to Install windos from the dell disk for windows XP.
Thats Fine!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am in the process of biding on a new hard drive. Will not know if that will fix it or not until I replace it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I installed the new hardrive went trough installing the the dell disk all looks fine. Thanks

AWESOME! Please click on accept to ensure I get paid and leave feedback. If you need anything else just let me know!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Only thing now is my mastercook program loaded ok but won't work when I remove the disk. (it should) And my sound dose't work. Havent gone online with it yet.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Tried going on the Internet to get dell support, will not go. Put the restore disk back in chose Internet info, Internet explorer and a couple other things trying to get files it must of skipped on the original install. Got a blue stop screen. Said if this is the first time to get this screen to restart, did that. Brought it back up still no sound or Internet.

Sorry to hear that. You will need to download the most up-2-date drivers directly from Dell and here is the link again.

Nothing in your Device Manager should have an Yellow ! or ? by it if it does then something is not installed properly. You will need the Audio, Chipset, Video, and a few more there just look and it will show you.

The main issue was that the computer needed a new hard drive and re-install windows and you are back up and running so do please click accept as that issue is done. I will continue to help you on this one as much as I can. After you click accept you still use this page to contact me so I can get right back to you quickly as I can.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not back up and running. I can not go to the Internet. The sound doesnt work and I have programs install wizard can't seem to find the the CD drive. must be missing drivers. I do not mind paying you now was waiting to maybe paying more .Thanks For any help.