Art Preusser
Art Preusser, Consultant
Experience:  21 years experience as a contracted systems network consultant
31894399

my toshiba laptop says no bootable device - insert boot disc

my toshiba laptop says "no bootable device - insert boot disc" How do I get out of this?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Art Preusser replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately, this is big trouble.

When your computer first starts it looks to the hard disk for boot files to startup with and load windows. If it cannot find a hard disk or boot files, you will be presented with the error you wrote about.

If you have your vista CD you can boot to it and attempt a reinstall of Windows. If your hard drive is dead the installation will fail early on and tell you no suitable disk for installation could be found - also will be prompting you for drivers you do NOT need for your hard disk. To clarify, you do not need drivers for a typical laptop hard drive to be recognized by Windows.

If you can reinstall Windows it's indicative that your previous installation was corrupted somehow.

A new laptop hard disk may run you $100 at any big super store. Laptop hard drives are pretty easy for end users to install. You can then reinstall windows.

If you found my answer helpful and are satisfied, please use the accept button so I am acknowledged for my work. Thanks. If you have more questions feel free.

Edited by Art Preusser on 3/9/2010 at 10:13 PM EST