VanMagnus Systems
VanMagnus Systems, Consultant
Experience:  A+ and Network+ with more than 18 years in the IT field.
16924516

My 120 gb zune will not sync. I have tried rebooting the zune

Customer Question

My 120 gb zune will not sync. I have tried rebooting the zune several times and it still keeps giving me the same error code. It sais it cannot read zune and will not sync.
Category: Computer
Expert:  VanMagnus Systems replied 6 years ago.
Please use this link and follow the steps:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950446?sd=zune

This should resolve your issue, if not let me know.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have tried all of those steps, none of those work

Working on it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yeh, like I said, I've tried doing everything that the zune page is telling me to do, it just keeps doing the same thing

Is the content on the Zune indispensable?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Ive got everything backed up, Ive tried erasing everything and putting it back on, it still wont sync

OK. Now I know what to do. Be to you in 5 minutes.
Here is the correct steps to take:

http://forums.zune.net/1/50/231510/ShowPost.aspx#231510

Let me know what happens.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hey, i got kicked off the website, sorry, are you still there?
Yes, here is the information posted here for you.

try { var flashObjId = "flashUserCard231510"; var zuneCardFlash = new Flash("http://zcards.zune.net/xweb/lx/swf/zunecardmedium.swf?ver=10011739", flashObjId, "250", "135", "9"); zuneCardFlash.addParam("wmode","opaque"); zuneCardFlash.addParam("salign","tl"); zuneCardFlash.addVariable("baseURL", "http%3a%2f%2fzcards.zune.net%2fzcard%2fusercardservice.ashx%3flcid%3d1033%26tkt%3dnl0oOOiJLWHLu%252b45%252f6SD0p 4cjScVjivziKnFCZAc%252fy8V9WyYUfgo8FCDB%252bUpEzUHs7wy9Yj6UIoKK7OTe4%252fn%252fg%253d%253d%26src%3dmedium%26zunetag%3dskipdeez"); zuneCardFlash.addParam("allowScriptAccess","always"); zuneCardFlash.write("ZuneCard231510"); setFlashObj(flashObjId); }catch(e){}

Join Date: 11-13-2007

Posts: 1,219

M

05-09-2008, 3:21 PM
How to Reboot, Reformat, and Restore your Zune device (Now Includes Zune HD)

I find that many sync problems can be fixed by simply rebooting the device, reformatting it, or reinitializing it. Here is a list of the device commands for both V1/V2 and Zune HD devices. Try these actions first if you are having a problem with syncing to your Zune device.

Reboot:

Zune HD: Press and hold power button (button on top of the device) for 10 seconds

Zune30/4/8/16/80/120 Devices: Press and hold the Back button (<-) + Up on the directional pad at the same time

Format Device from the Zune software (All devices):

Go to Settings > Device > Sync Options > Then click the "erase all content" button.

Sleep Mode:

Zune HD: Press the power button once

Zune HD: To power off, hold the power button for 3 seconds then pull down on the screen saver

Zune30/4/8/16/80/120 Devices: Press and hold Back + Down

Initializing and formatting your Zune HD Device:

To Initialize/Format - Reboot device (turn the device completely off) then when turning the device back on hold the home (center) button and media button(on the side) at the same time. This will delete all content off of the device and allows firmware reinstall.

To enter Recovery mode – Press and hold the power and media buttons for 15 seconds. The device reboots into Recovery mode (content is not erased, allows for firmware reinstall). This is a good option if you want to keep the content on your device, but reinstall the firmware.

Formatting and reinitializing your Zune30/4/8/16/80/120 Devices:
To perform the following, you must first reboot your device (hold the back button and up), and then when the screen goes black, hold the corresponding buttons until the process begins. (“OK” refers to pressing the center of the D-Pad/Z-Pad.)

Clear Content (Format from Device) – Clears all media content from the device, but leaves the firmware intact.
V1 Devices (Zune 30): Press and hold Back + Right + OK
V2 Devices (Zune 4/8 and 80): Press and hold Back + Play/Pause

Initialize Disk – Removes the content and the firmware. Device will be inoperable until connected to a PC so new firmware can be installed.
V1 Devices (Zune 30): Press and hold Back + Left + OK
V2 Devices (Zune 4/8 and 80): Press and hold Back + OK + Play/Pause

Matt Akers
Zune Product Team

Please note all: The user has stated they were kicked from the Web Site. This answer is from Microsoft's Zune Team.