James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience:  20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.

My Dell computer just beeps 6 short times repeatedly, but doesnt

Customer Question

My Dell computer just beeps 6 short times repeatedly, but doesn't turn on. What is the problem?
Category: Computer
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
The beeps are coming in groups, 3 or 4 groups with a gap between them. How many in each group?
Also, any lights are on, and what color?

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The beeps are coming in one group of six. Then repeats. There is a light on the mother board that is on. The color is yellow.

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Are all the beeps of the same length?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes.

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Okay. Two things you need to try:

1. Pull out all the memory sticks, then re-seat them carefully. Make sure they are all the way in.
2. If this doesn't work, remove the CMOS battery for 1 minute - it is the round, silvery flat battery on the board.

If this still doesn't help, you will need to service the computer. It means a component on the board (probably the keyboard controller) is faulty.

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I pulled out the memory and blew out the connections. I also made sure that the connections were good. Let me try the battery real quick.
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Sure, go ahead. Hope it works.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No. It's still doing the same thing. What else could it be?
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
I've done more research and found that 6 short beeps definitly mean the keyboard controller is generating an error. Unfortunately, the controllers on modern keyboard are integrated into the board and not replaceable. Last thing is try another keyboard, but if that doesn't work I'm afraid your entire motherboard would have to be replaced.

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
How expensive is that usually?
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Around $200, depending on the exact model.

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My keyboard is connected by a usb connection. I unplugged it and it still does the same thing. Would connecting another keyboard possibly do anything different? And where would be the best place to look for another motherboard if that's what is needed?

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
I suspect another keybaord won't help, but won't hurt to try.
You can get a new mobo online, just google the model type + motherboard.

J.
James, Sr. Computer Support Expert
Experience: 20 years of experience building, fixing and servicing PCs and operating systems.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok. Thank you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Inaccurate answer.
"Expert James" said that the problem with my computer was the keyboard module. And, if trying a new keyboard didn't work than I would have to replace my motherboard in my computer. I bought a new keyboard and it didn't work, was still doing the same thing. So I bought a new motherboard, switched it out, and it's still doing the same thing. I need an answer to my original problem. I would also like a refund for the money paid to "James".
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can someone please reply? My computer will not boot up. It gives me 6 evenly spaced beeps and repeates. I have disconnected everything, blown all the dust out, and made sure everything was replaced correctly and well. On the advice of an "expert" I have replaced the keyboard and the motherboard, but it is still doing the same thing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Or I would like James to correct his mistake and help me with fixing the real problem with my computer.
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
The Dell documentation clearly states that 6 beeps is a keyboard controller, and that replacing the motherboard should fix this issue.
Can you tell me the model of the motherboard you got?

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello.

I would definately like to see that documentation if you could send it to me please. The mb that was in there, and is in there again, is a RY007. There are a bunch of other numbers, but these seem to be the important ones. The problem wound up being the graphics card. It had a nvidia, and I replaced it with an ati. Everything is working great now. But you didn't really help me with anything exept to cost me more money and time. I now have a spare keyboard, and a spare motherboard. I think you should at least refund me the $18 that I paid you. I haven't left you a rating yet, and I don't really want to leave you something negative. Please reply as soon as you can. Thanks.

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
I have the Dell service manuals in hard copy, I'd send them to you if I could.

I am sorry I wasn't to solve your issue, and have requested that your money will be refunded.

Thanks,

J.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I wish I could just see the trouble code chart. I found a bunch of them, but never found one that had the six beeps. There were alot of other ones.

Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Table 3-1. POST Beep Codes
Beep Codes Error Probable Causes
1 Memory refresh failure. Defective system board.
2 Error occurred in first 64 KB of main memory. Faulty DIMM or defective system board.
3 Read or write error occurred in first 64 KB of main memory. Faulty DIMM.
4 Timer on system board malfunctioned. Defective system board.
5 Microprocessor error. Defective microprocesor.
6 Gate A20/Keyboard controller failure
Defective system board.
7 Microprocessor-execption interrupt error. Defective microprocessor.
8 Video memory read/write error. Missing or faulty video adapter.
9 ROM checksum value does not match value encoded in system BIOS. Corrupted system BIOS program or defective system BIOS chip.
10 NVRAM shutdown register read/write error. Defective system board.
11 Cache memory error. Defective microprocessor or cache card.
1-2 Video adapter failure. Faulty video adapter.
1-3 No monitor connected. Loose video cable connection or defective video cable.
Faulty video adapter.