Dr. Dan
Dr. Dan, Engineer
Experience:  B.S. Electrical & Computer Engineering, 20+ years technical experience
7043301

How much would it cost to completely wipe out the hard drive

Customer Question

How much would it cost to completely wipe out the hard drive so we can reprogram it?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 6 years ago.

You could do it for free. I have done this many times. This will permanently and irreversibly delete everything on your hard drive so make sure that you copy the stuff that you save before you do this. You will also need your Windows XP installation disc in order to reinstall windows and (wipe the hard drive) as your reinstall.

Here is an excellent tutorial illustrating how you can do this step by step:

http://helpdesk.its.uiowa.edu/windows/instructions/reformat.htm

If your question is satisfactorily resolved please remember to click accept to accept my solution and to compensated me for my efforts. Do so only once to resolve your question. Bonuses and positive feedback are also greatly appreciated.

Thank you,

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
We do not have the original operating system disk for the Gateway it is a 1999 model, is there anything else that can be done?
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 6 years ago.
Well, you would need a setup disc of some operating system unfortunately in order to format the hard drive. The C drive has system files so we can do without a system disk to reinstall. You could considering asking friends or coworkers if anyone has one around. It would not be worthwhile to buy one.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
not satisfied with answer want the 18 dollars refunded imediately to my card
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 6 years ago.
I'm sorry that you are not satisfied with the answer, but unfortunately if you want to reformat your system drive, you need a system disc, the rest of the information that I have provided you is what any technician in a store with a system disc will charge you to do given your same demands, but you are welcome to pursue their support locally. Just for your information the process even with a system disc does take 4-6 hours, and charged labor in a computer repair store at $25-50/hr can run you upwards to $300. I would not pay more than $50 to have this done as you can buy a new decent computer for $400 these days, so just as a tip not to get scalped by someone. Get a quote in writing before agreeing to anything in a store. Hope that helps,

I have gone ahead and requested a refund from Just Answer in your behalf and am sorry that I could not be of more service.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Relist: I want my DEPOSIT put back on my card, you state you have a 100% guarantee I am not happy,I would like you to know that I have family that would love to get a hold of a FRAUD case and I have copies of that statement. Put the DEPOSIT back on my card now! XXXXX XXXXXttle.
I want my DEPOSIT put back on my card, you state you have a 100% guarantee I am not happy,I would like you to know that I have family that would love to get a hold of a FRAUD case and I have copies of that statement. Put the DEPOSIT back on my card now! XXXXX XXXXXttle
Expert:  James replied 6 years ago.
First, let me assure you that if you want a refund, you will get it. All you need to do is go to:

http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx

And request the refund. I can also put in the refund request for you if you want.

However, if you are willing to give me a chance, I will show you how to create a CD (for FREE) that will completely wipe your hard drive.

Please let me know which way you want to go.

J.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
If you are so generous than give me a FREE way to wipe out my hard drive. So I can reprogram the way that I want to without all the trash that's on the C Drive now
Expert:  James replied 6 years ago.
No problem. You can get the software HERE.

Note that to re-program the disk, you will also need an operating system CD. That, I'm afraid, is not free if you don't have it.

In other words - the wipe is free, the repogram requires an O/S cd.

Let me know if you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer. And again - if you want a refund, just let me know.

J.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
By o/s do you mean like Windows XP? If I wipe it out will that not put back in what I want in for the clean drive?
Expert:  James replied 6 years ago.
No, I'm afraid not. It will just make the drive squeaky clean.
You will then need to put stuff on it (like the operating system) using a an O/S CD, such as Windows XP.

J.
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 6 years ago.
I have already requested for the refund 3/6 at 7:17 pm experts.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you anyway
Expert:  Dr. Dan replied 6 years ago.
Again, sorry we could not help you further, we have no intention to defraud you here and wish to honor Just Answer's 100% satisfaction guarantee. I personally did request a refund through our system and it will be processed to you as soon as possible. You should be receiving more information regarding your refund through Just Answer directly and not through this channel as we computer experts don't deal with the refunds and billing. I wish you the best of luck.