Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Hi I have a Sony Vaio PCV-E51M desktop and recently it has

Hi I have a Sony Vaio PCV-E51M desktop and recently it has started to take an age to start-up from being off, I was wondering if there was a quick answer to this or will I have to start from the beginning and re-install the O/S and if I do how do i keep what I have ?
thanks ,
Les
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Please do this and let me know result:

Press Ctrl+D to save this page as Favorite/Bookmark so that you can click on it to reach me after you restart computer.

1. Start > Run > type msconfig [press Enter]
2. goto Services tab.
3. Click on the ‘Hide All Microsoft Services’ box at the bottom of the
screen so that it has a tick in it. The window in the middle of the screen
should change when you do this. It may take a few seconds to take
effect.
4. Then click the ‘Disable All’ button on the bottom right. It should un-tick
all the boxes now visible.
5. Now goto startup tab.
6. Then click the ‘Disable All’
7. Click APPLY.
8. Click Restart.
9. The computer will restart. Upon restarting, you will see a window.
10. Put a tick in the box ‘Don’t show this message or launch…’ and click
the ‘OK’ button.

Then see if the problem persists.

Let me know

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi again Andy, i followed your instructions upto the "startup" bit and I was'nt allowed to change everything as I got an "access denied error" any ideas?

Les

Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Please press CTRL+D to save this page as Favorite/Bookmark so that you can reach me after restarting computer.

Please goto safe mode using the following steps.
Steps:
1. Restart your laptop and keep pressing F8 key.
2. This will take you to Boot Option Menu
3. Select "Safe Mode"
4. Press Enter
5. Windows should load in Safe Mode

Now do the Msconfig instructions in Safe Mode.

Now restart your computer and let it load normally. Then get back to me let me know results..

Let me know

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hi again Andy, did the same thing, says that i may need to log on as the administrator but i cant remember the password XXXXX even setting up an administrators account!!
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Please try this and let me know.

Restart your computer and keep pressing F8 key on startup. Then select Safe Mode with Networking from the menu and press enter.

On the windows login screen, press Ctrl + Alt and then press Del "twice" in order to bring up the classic logon menu.

There type in Administrator in the 'Username' field and leave the 'Password' field empty and press OK (enter).

Then windows should load in admin account.

Now try Msconfig

Let me know

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Andy, same thing happened, the exact message i got was "An access denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an administrator account to make specified changes." And that was after logging on as the administrator!
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

How many user accounts do you have on this computer.

Do you have sony recovery disc

Would you like to perform system recovery to take the computer to factory settings

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I only have the one account according to the "user accounts" icon in the control panel. I dont have a rcovery disc and if i have to do a recovery i will as long as i dont loose everything!!
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

If you are the only User on this computer than you shouldnt get this error. If your data is important to you than you can copy your data on DVDs or an external hard drive.

You need to perform system recovery on your computer. It can be done be two ways as explained below :

1. Do system restore using built in recovery partition. Some vaio models have it.

STEPS ::
  1. Close all open programs and turn off the computer.
  2. Disconnect all network connections.
  3. Disconnect all peripheral devices.
  4. Turn on the computer.
  5. When the VAIO screen is displayed, press the F8 key.
  6. At the Advanced Boot Options screen, ensure Repair Your Computer is selected and press the ENTER key.
  7. In the System Recovery Options window, under Select a keyboard layout: , click the Next button.
  8. Under To access recovery options , next to User name: , click the down arrow , and click to select an account with Administrator rights.
  9. Next to Password: , type the appropriate password XXXXX this account.
  10. Click the OK button.
  11. Under Choose a recovery tool , click on : Windows Complete PC Restore

2. If you are unable to perform above instructions then it means that her vaio doesnt have the recovery partition or else it is corrupted. In this case you will have to buy a Sony vaio recovery disc for your specific model. Then contact Sony at :
1-239-768-7691
Toll Free Service: 1-800-488-SONY (7669)
Hours of Operation:
Mon - Fri 9:00AM - 10:00PM EST
Sat 10:00AM - 7:00PM EST
Sun 12:00PM - 6:00PM EST

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Please click "ACCEPT" to pay me for my work.

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.

Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience: 11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks Andy will try it!
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

You are most welcome !!