Karl, Information Systems Manager
Experience:  10+ years computer experience. 5 year in IT Management. I manage multiple servers in a variety of OS

i have a hp 740b dvd writer that wont recognize any dvds.

Customer Question

i have a hp 740b dvd writer that won't recognize any dvd's. It will recognize cd's and can burn cd's. Any suggestions?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Karl replied 6 years ago.
Hi & welcome to Just Answer!

This could be a driver issue - we will attempt to have Windows reload your drivers for the drive. If that does not work - the drive is defective and needs to be replaced. CDs and DVDs are read at a different frequency and this is a common problem with drives.

First, have Windows uninstall the drive, then reboot. Once rebooted, Windows will detect the drive and automatically install the drivers:

Right click my computer, and select properties, then the hardware tab, then device manager.

Click on the little +sign next to Dvd/Cd-rom players, and right click on your dvd device that appears, and select uninstall. A box will appear warning you that you are about to uninstall the device from your system, click ok.

When you are finished, reboot your computer. Windows will redetect the device, and load the appropriate drivers.

Hopefully this solves the problem, if not, a new drive is in order.

Let me know how it turns out! If you need any further help, please don't hesitate to reply and I'll answer as quick as I can!

Please don't forget to hit "Accept" for my answer so I can get credit. Positive feedback is also greatly appreciated!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
already done that
Expert:  Karl replied 6 years ago.
Thank you. If after having Windows reinstall the drivers - and still the same result, I'm afraid the drive is defective. Unfortunately you will need to replace the drive. This is a common problem with drives and the only solution now is a replacement.

Check your manufacture warranty to see if you can get a new one for free - if not, you can purchase the drives from almost any computer store around you.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
lightscribe works also, i think the problem lies in the 740b firmware ( hp is not helpfull at all)
Expert:  Karl replied 6 years ago.
I really do not believe this is the issue - unless you did a firmware flash immediately before this started happening?

You can download & reflash the firmware from this link if you want to give it a try: