Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

Cursor randomly freezes. i have an HP Pavilion dv7 laptop.

Cursor randomly freezes. i have an HP Pavilion dv7 laptop. I pretty much only use browsers, no other apps. I spend a lot of time running an art program which runs in Flash.

One tech support person said the problem was due to stressing memory with too many windows. So I kept to one window. No change. They also suggested that I was doing work that was too graphic intensive. Hello! It's not photoshop. It's a Flash app in a browser.

I uninstalled &reinstalled driver. No change. I switched browsers, from FF to Safari. No change. I've tried to see a pattern but can't. It happens when I'm doing art work and when I'm just reading the news.

Oh, frequently... but not always.. when a freeze happens I'll see a tiny scrollbar appear somewhere where it doesn't seem to belong.It's not associated with any app I can tell.And it often has the frozen cursor. I have to reboot many times a day. Like the very bad old days in Windows.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Howmuch RAM is installed on your laptop

What is current free hard drive space

Did Win 7 came preinstalled ... or did u upgrade from XP / vista

What is name and model of microprocessor installed

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ah.. I just realized I could reply here in browser. It looked like I had to reply via phone. Please tell me where to get the info you're asking for.. I know my way around macs better than pcs and could get that info for you right away. Here.. I'm not so sure how to get it.
Only thiing I can tell you now is that Win 7 was an upgrade from Vista but that evertying worked just fine until a few days ago.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

1.
goto START > type system information in search box n click Enter.
In the window tat opens, look up Installed Physical Memory RAM

2.
goto START > computer >
Right click on C Drive > click Properties
Tell me what is Free hard drive space mentioned there

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
4gb
196gb free
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Your hardware is pretty good. All of these will give you improvement in computer performance.

1. Uninstall all programs that you dont use. Some programs eat resource even when you are not using them, like they check for updates, etc continously.

2. Install Anti-Malware software like Adaware, Spybot Search Destroy and Malwarebytes (they are free) and scan your system and delete all rouge softwares. This will make lot of improvement if you have such rougue s/ws on your computer.

3. Then from Internet Explorer - delete all history and cache. Then from c:\windows\temp folder delete everything.

4. Then, you should do Defragmentation of your hard drive. You need to right-click on the C: (in mycomputer) and goto Properties and there you will find this option. Repeat this for all partitions if you have any on the hard drive.

5. go to Start > Run > type in CMD

A dos window will open. In this dos windows (copy paste) type this: del *.tmp /s

(there is a space between the del and the * symbol). Then press enter, this will clear out all of your temp files from your machine.

6. Then stop the softwares that start when you restart computer.

STEPS
1. Start > type msconfig in search box [press Enter]
2. Now goto startup tab.
3. Remove TICK from the software you dont use frequently or you dont want to start when your computer statts.
7. Click APPLY.
8. Click Restart.
9. The computer will restart. Upon restarting, you will see a window.
11. Put a tick in the box ‘Don’t show this message or launch…’ and click
the ‘OK’ button.

Other than that there is nothing more we can do to increase the speed of the computer and improve its performance.

7. Download the following freeware utility:
http://www.ccleaner.com/download
Done that, run the same and click on the 'Run Cleaner' button in the window that comes up in order to do a comprehensive cleanup of useless data in your system.
Next, click on the 'Registry' tab present in the left pane, then scan for and fix issues found in your registry, which may be slowing down your system.
Now, click on the 'Tools' tab present in the left pane, then under the 'Uninstall' tab, look for and highlight programs present which you don't need ..and click on the 'Run Uninstaller' button to uninstall the same.
Under the 'Startup' tab, look for and delete the program entries scheduled to run when you start up your computer, which you don't use, or need to run.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
machine froze before I could reply. I'm printing your answer out now and going to do as you suggest.
I never use IE and I have cleared the cache on FF many times to no avail. I do already have antimalware and run it routinely. I didn't think to mention it because to me it as obvious as "I turn the machine on." I run it nearly every day. I'll use the one you suggest and will get back to you in a couple of hours after I've done it all.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

No worries, please take ur time.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
am removing apps I don't use. One, muvee reveal, is one I don't recognize. The uninstall goes through the usual steps, tells me that it will take 30 seconds and then, part way through it stops. The time goes up to 50 seconds. Then a minute... all the way up to ten minutes. I've tried this 2x. Same result each time. How do I get rid of this thing?
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Please press CTRL+D to save this page as Favorite/Bookmark so that you can reach me after restarting computer.

Please goto safe mode using the following steps.
Steps:
1. Restart your laptop and keep pressing F8 key.
2. This will take you to Boot Option Menu
3. Select "Safe Mode"
4. Press Enter
5. Windows should load in Safe Mode

Now try to uninstall them in Safe mode

Now restart your computer and let it load normally. Then get back to me let me know results..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no luck. got message Windows (un?)installer not available. Tried 2x. Also, was unable to reply to you via the html page we set up. tried a bunch of times. What now?
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Goto START > type command and under Programs you will see "Command Prompt". Right click on it and click on Run as Administrator.
On the dos window type this chkdsk /f /r and press Enter. It might tell you that chkdsk will start next time you start computer. So restart computer and let it perform the hard drive check.

This will catch and repair all hard drive errors.

Then Goto START > type command and under Programs you will see "Command Prompt". Right click on it and click on Run as Administrator.
On the dos window type this sfc /scannow and press Enter.
The System File Checker starts and checks the integrity of system files. It might tell you that scannow will start next time you start computer. So restart computer and let it perform the check.

This will catch and repair all system file errors, if any.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Won't let me. not enough privilages. Says I have to operate in Elevated Mode. (there's an ELEVATED mode??? I guess I must be in DEPRESSED mode or something.)
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Are you the Admin on this computer ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well, I'm not sure. It would seem that I'm not. Got this and made the transition from Mac without paying too much attention I guess. So, how do I make myself the Admin?
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

If you are the only User .. u already are the Admin...

is there any other user account too on this comp

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes. one
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Would you like to backup ur data ... n perform a system recovery to take the comp. to factory settings ?

Looks like your system has lot of issues

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
hmmm.. i don't have an extra hd. I could pick one up tomorrow on the way to work. Let me think about this for a bit. I don't REALLY have anything on here that's not stored in The Cloud as far as know. I mostly use this machine fordoing art work. Everythign that's on it has been downloaded from the site where I do the work (in Flash.)

Give me a few minutes to take a look around and see if there's anything I'd worry about losing. I'm not eager to go out and buy a new drive if I don't have to. I'll get back to you soon.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

You can take backup on a DVD or USB pen drive too .. just the data ... no need to buy a drive

Let me know

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ah.. ok.. I'm sure I have some DVDs around here. Do you think this will be a long process? I have to leave for about an hour. should I start now or wait until I get back? If so, will you he here then?

Going to make sure I have dvd handy. brb
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

You can first copy all data on DVDs. Then do as below :

It will take few hours at max. You can start it now. I might not be online in few hours .. but u can leave me a message n i will get back to u ASAP :-)

You need to perform system recovery on your computer. You can do it in two ways as explained below.
Follow the steps below to use HP Recovery Manager to return your notebook to its baseline factory condition, then allow the PC to run all the setup programs.

Please let me know if you are stuck at any step.
  1. Press the power button to turn on the PC, and press F11 on the keyboard immediately while the computer is starting up. The HP Backup and Recovery Manager window will appear.
    NOTE: Depending on the BIOS version, your computer may display multiple prompts during startup including F11 to start System Recovery. Pressing the F11 key on a computer with an HP factory image wiill start System Recovery even if the prompt is not displayed.
  2. Click Advanced options , select the System recovery option, and then click Next .
  3. If the Recovery Manager can access the hard drive it displays a prompt to backup up user files before continuing the recovery. You may either backup your files, or skip the backup and recover the operating system.
  4. If the Recovery Manager cannot access the hard drive to fix the system errors, you will need the Recovery disks.
If you dont have the disc, you will have to call HP and order the disc :
800-HP invent
or
(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />

If you are not located in US let me know your country's name.

Put the Recovery Disk into your drive and restart your computer. Restart computer and on startup screen it will mention a Key to enter setup. Press that key immediately to enter setup. Then you will find many tabs. Goto BOOT tab. Change the boot order to make the CD Drive as 1st device in Boot order list and do Save and Exit. Then restart computer making sure disc is already in CD Drive. This will load computer from recovery disc.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
have dvd and win 7 upgrade disks. Never had vista disk since it came preinstalled. What now?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Step 3 seems to do a backup. So you're saying I still should backup first? What's the easiest wayto do that? I'm not worried about the other user's directory. Do I just copy the directory Users/owner over to a DVD?

Also, there's a recovery partion on this drive but not seperate recovery disks. Sheesh, I had no idea so much we be involved!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I've just tried copying my directory onto a dvd. Can't do it because it's open. So, how do I log in so as to be able to copy it? It seems that if I CAN do this I won't lose things like passwords and stuff that will be a real annoyance to try to reconstruct. Is there some sort of Superuser or SuDo account in Windows that I should log in as?

I'm sorry this it turning out to be so complicated. I thought it would be a pretty simple matter.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I used the hp recovery. It offered to back up my files and even gave me some good options. BUT it did not have a way to backup to dvd... it wanted a usb drive. How can i back up to dvds?
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay.

We were facing some network issues.

1. The backup I referred to was to copy paste your data files to DVD. Like documents, pictures, etc.

2. HP recovery will do backup on the hard drive itself.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Andy, I'm at work at probably won't get a chance to do this stuff until Thursday or Friday. I had sort of thought this would be a simple matter. So, I have two questions.

1. Shall I pay you now or wait until we're done... end of the week.

2 I've noticed that if I right click on a desktop icon I get a contextual menu. I'm pretty sure that on the site Giveawayof the day they made a contextual menu app available. (manufacturers make commercial apps free for one day on the site. Good advertising.) My guess is that I installed it. When I right click on a desktop icon I get one of those screens telling me that my trial is up and asking me to buy it. Which is weird becuase it's supposed tobe free. The screen stays up longer each time it appears. It's now up to 75seconds. I have looked among the program files and cannot find anything that looks like the name of this app (don't recall what its name is... I'm at work and can't look it up but it hasContexual Menu in it) I'd love to uninstall it but can't figure out how.

Also, the freezing cursor problem may be solved without a reformat. One of the apps I had on the machine was a client for a distributed computing program (like SETI) that looked for idle cpu time and when it found some it processed downloaded data. It must have been there in the background all along checking for chances to work. I thought I'd uninstalled it but obviously I hadn't done a complete job. Since removing it i have not yet had any crashes. And I used the machine for a couple of hours. So.. maybe that was it.

Oh, as for the need to defrag my disk, that's done automatically once a week.

So that's where we are right now. Since I do have a couple of apps from Giveawayoftheday.com which I use, and since they're only available for one day, I'd like to avoid the reformat as much as possible. Lets hope last night's chunk of freeze free time was a sign of things to come.

Sorry if this seems disjointed. I've gotta run. Gotta catch a train.

Steve
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Hi Steve,

You can ACCEPT the answer now and this question will not close. You can reply to me anytime you want.

I explained you about 'msconfig' in above answer ... if you do that it will take care of all those useless apps that eat ur resources. ... also I did mention to remove all useless softwares. So please go ahead n uninstall those apps.

Press Ctrl+D to save this page as Favorite/Bookmark so that you can click on it to reach me after you restart computer.

Alternately you can login to Justanswer.com again and then goto My Questions and reply to this question.

And you will connect to me in both ways. And yes, I will continue assisting you even after you accept my answer.

Thanks!!
Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience: 11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO