Jason
Jason, Computer Expert
Experience: 
Over 10 years of professional experience.
30759776

I do not have internet explorer anymore after clicking on the

Customer Question

I do not have internet explorer anymore after clicking on the updates on the task bar last week. I had been working with HP Friends Network and they were not able to help me. My modem is fine. I tried uploading IE two times and it seemed like it worked but when I click on the icon it comes up for about 2 seconds and then disappears. I noticed something different that appears frm Start button IE says No addons and before it did not. Oh, I also tried to download Mozilla and it would not take either. I tried System Restore w/ three different dates--nothing! I am able to email you through Safari and I was lucky to just click on the icon to see what it was--have no idea what that is but I sure need to have internet explorer back as all my favorites are there. Have you ever heard of this happening?
Please advise. Thank you!
Debbie
Category: Computer
Expert:  Smile replied 4 years ago.
Greetings,
Thank you for asking us. I will be happy to fix your problem ASAP

Do you have the XP recover/repair dics? If yes the please use that cd to repair or recvoer your system. If not then does it have a Recovery partition then?

When you first start your computer, you may see a prompt like select F10 (or some key) to get into the recovery area

Hope this will be helpful.
---------------------
Please give a Positive Feedback if you find the answer helpful. Ask me if you need more assistance.
ACCEPT my answer to get me paid. Bouns makes me HAPPY.:-)
Good Luck
Smile
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No I don't have recovery discs and I wouldn't want to use them if I had them. I don't want to lose everything I have in My Documents as well as other programs.
I just don't understand why I would lose IE just by clicking on updates. It starts to come up and then disappears. Recovery repair is the extreme which can be done for any problem. I want to fix this problem and not make this situation worse. At best, XXXXX XXXXX take it in to a repair shop before using recovery mode. sorry your answer did not help me.
Expert:  Smile replied 4 years ago.
ok, Run the System File Checker

Go to the Run box on the Start Menu and type in:

sfc /scannow ( sfc if not reconized) (Note that there is a space between sfc and /scannow)

This command will immediately initiate the Windows File Protection service to scan all protected files and verify their integrity, replacing any files with which it finds a problem.
In all likelihood you will be prompted to insert the Windows XP CD.

You may want/need to How to Slipstream Service Pack 3 into Windows XP

Hope this will be helpful.
---------------------
Good Luck
Smile
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I know the HP tech guys had me type info in the run box--cannot recall at the moment but I don't have a windows xp cd so I cannot do that.
I need to continue with this issue later as I am very sleepy and it is very late.
Expert:  Smile replied 4 years ago.
ok. good night.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
try another person
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
Please, perform the following steps. Internet Explorer will be removed totally and reinstalled:
- Click Start Button > Run
- Type: appwiz.cpl
- Scroll to the bottom of the list and find Internet Explorer > Choose it > Click Uninstall / Remove > Next > Remove program.
- Click the Add / Remove Windows Components (on the left).
- Uncheck Internet Explorer
- Click Next > Next > Next.
- Restart Computer.
- Click Start Button > Run
- Type: appwiz.cpl
- This time, CHECK Internet Explorer
- Click Next > Next > Next.
- Restart Computer.

Now try Internet Explorer.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The tech guys did have me remove IE from the Add/Remove screen and then I reinstalled it from a flash drive and it still didn't work. I don't think I typed the appwiz.cpl but everything else was the same.
It always starts and stays only for a 2 seconds. I can actually read the address bar. I mentioned previously that one thing was different below the icon, it says "no add-ons" and it didn't say that before--mean anything? Do you think typing appwiz.cpl would make a difference?
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
Ok, lets try this:
- Click Start Button > Settings > Control Panel
- Double Click ADD/REMOVE Programs icon
- Uncheck Internet Explorer
- Click Next > Next > Next.
- Restart Computer.
- Download and run the following link:
http://download.oldapps.com/Internet_Explorer/IE7-WindowsXP-x86-enu.exe
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will get back to you in a moment...
Expert:  Jason replied 4 years ago.
Good morning (my time),

What is the status of this issue?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I still do not have Internet Explorer. All the suggestions above have been previous tried by HP computer techs. I was hoping for some new suggestions to resolve this.