Uyi
Uyi, Consultant
Experience:  CCNA, MCTS - Windows 7 Configuring
30791684

My Dell Inspiron 531 will not turn on.

Customer Question

My Dell Inspiron 531 will not turn on.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Please answer all these questions 1 to 4 point by point.

1. When you press the power button to turn it on, do you see any thing on screen, like the Dell boot up screen or something like that. Or is it completely blank (black color) always.

2. Can you see a faint image of your desktop (try to see it in dark place with flash light). This is important to confirm.

3. Also, when you press power button, do you see the LED lights on laptop blinking or solid green (which ones are in blinking/solid) and do hear any sound ? Or do you feel that your laptop doesnt even try to boot.

4. Can you hear any Beeps when you try to turn on the computer. If yes, what is the sequence of those beeps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1. Nothing is on screen.

2. No.

3. It is a desktop. The light on the back is solid green. No sound at all. The computer does not try to boot.

4. No beeps.

Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Please answer all of these questions :

1. Is the monitor screen totally black always and not even the boot up screen comes on ?
2. Does your CPU cabinet's LEDs turns on and blinks. Or does your computer remains shuts down (dead).
3. What is the status of the LED on the monitor before and after your turn on the power on tower.
4. Do you get any message on the screen like "No Signal" or anything at all.
5. Does the Fan on the back of the tower turns on. And does it remains on or turns off in some time.
6. How and when did this problem begun

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1. not even the boot up screen comes on. The computer seems completely dead.

2. My computer remains shut down. A green light on the back is on.

3. Monitor is on with power but the screen is dark.

4. Nothing is on screen.

5. Fan is not on.

6. The problem begun today. Computer had trouble turning on. Then I tried to reboot at "safe" mode. and then it happened like this.

Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Somewhere on the computer's tower you will find four LED lights (ABCD). Please let me know their status before n after you press the power button on the tower.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

nothing is on.

Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Now there are many possible things that might have taken place. I will walk you through them and try to figure out whats wrong.

Try One by One, until your comp works:

1. Observe the power supply cable properly (smell it) to see if its sockets are damaged. If yes, replace it.

2. Try to plug in the power cord of your desktop into some other socket in your house. Now see if your PC is working.

3. Does the Fan in the power supply unit in tower turns on. If not, maybe your power supply (its a box inside your CPU cabinet) fuse has blown. Or maybe more damage is done to the power supply. So, you either need to replace the fuse (see if its burnt) or else replace the power supply. (you can buy online)

4. Its possible that the CMOS battery has gone dead. its a button type battery on motherboard. Replace it and hopefully it will sove your problems.

You will have to shut down computer. Open up the tower casing. Look up the motherboard. Use blower to clean up all dust. You will find a battery as shown below:

graphic
View Full Image

You can buy it at any electronic / computer store.

5. Reinsert the RAM modules located on motherboard.

6. If this does not work than damage is done to your motherboard or RAM or Graphics card or some other card and it needs to be repaired or replaced.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Where is the fuse of power supply
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

It is located inside the power supply box (if its provided). But if you are not electronics savvy I wouldnt recommend you opening the box up. Take it to a professional.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

All of answers do not help me at all. You basically tell me to go to store to fix it. I cannot pay you.

Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

I am sorry I am out of ideas. I will opt out and open this question to all experts. Someone should get back to you soon.

Expert:  Uyi replied 4 years ago.

Towards isolating the cause of the problem, try the following:

1. Connect to a different power supply socket
2. Use a different power cable for the CPU. For instance, you could swap the power cables for the monitor and CPU
3. Diconnect the power cable from the CPU completely, and safely push down all power supply plugs inside the CPU. Be careful not to apply too much pressure - just make sure the connections are properly secured.