Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
16465236

I cant restore my files from the Toshiba EZ Backup external

Customer Question

I can't restore my files from the Toshiba EZ Backup external hard drive to a new computer..they don't come up on the list at all. Please give me some advise. My old computer doesn't work anymore and I have a new computer to whicg I want to transfer my files.

I will appreciate any tips or instructions
Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Is your old computer a desktop or laptop ? ... do you have its hard drive with you

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

It was a laptop (#1). The system started malfunctioning sending a blue screen and having truoble when closing. I decided to do a full system restore disc but it didn't work out. Eventually it did not start again. I still have that computer.

I bought an external backup drive (Toshiba EZ Backup) before my laptop stopped working. My last back up was on Jan 9. I had an emergency laptop to use and tried restoring my files. I installed the software in this laptop (laptop #2) but as soon as it launched a backup job, the options to restore were only those of this new laptop. I though my mistake was installing the software and running a backup job and decided not to make any further attempts since I was not planning to keep this computer.

I just bought a new laptop (#3) which runs on Vista, I connected the external drive and selected the option "restore using the software from the device"..it only showed the options from laptop #2.

On the explorer I see my last backup of laptop #1 and the new back ups of #2 as NBF files, there is also a CAL file. On the device's software I don't see the option for any of the back ups of #1.

I hope this details are useful. Thanks

Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Which operating system was/is installed on
laptop 1, 2 and 3

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
1 and 2 Windows XP, 3 has Windows 7
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

What is the size of backup file/folder for laptop 1 and 2

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

#1 - 3.98 GB

#2 - 1.76 MB (it just included a few new files I've created since I started using this laptop

Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

3.98 GB means a lot of data.

So, what happens when you try to open the NBF file using Toshiba backup software .. on laptop 2 ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

it does not show it. The software has a search option, I go to a folder called my files..and it only shows the CAL file. I select it and then it populates a list with dates and time of the back ups available. I can select any of those and then it displays the files available in case I want to select a folder or file only, or I could select all.

Then it gives you the option of restoring to the original location or to select a new location via a browser but I've never gone that far!!

I see the NBF files through the explorer and I identified my last back up by looking at the date the file was created.

Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

So when you plug in your ext. drive on laptop 2 ... you dont see any backup for laptop 1 ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Sorry for the delay.

So how are you so sure that the nbf file belongs to laptop 1 ? ... is there a folder referenced to laptop 1 ?

Did you perform backup of laptop 2 on same ext. drive ... even partially

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am sure because the backup files are dated. And yes, I performed a back up of laptop 2 with the external drive accidentally since when I installed the software to restore my files it launched a back up job..once this happened it only gave me those nbf files as options to restore.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

You can take backup of only 1 computer on this drive. When you made a backup of laptop 2 accidently ... it deleted and overwrote the files of laptop 1 ...

Thats the reason you are not able to retrieve those files.

Now, these backup files that are remaining ... data cannot be retrieved from them so easily, even if it exists. Because they are encrypted using toshiba's propritery tools.

You can give it a shot by taking a drive to a data recovery company near you (google it) ... but the charges would be prohibitive.

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Please click "ACCEPT" to pay me for my work.

Positive Feedback and BONUS are always appreciated.