Tech Support
Tech Support, IT Consultant
Experience:  CompTIA A+ Certified, Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP)
30818770

How do I set up my 9300 series for wireless using windows vista.

Customer Question

How do I set up my 9300 series for wireless using windows vista. The sofware cd with my printer reads it will not support my operating system
Category: Computer
Expert:  Mike D. replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. By the way, it would help us to know:

-What is the make and model of your printer?

Please reply as soon as possible so that we can finish answering your question.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
lexmark 9300 series all in one with wireless capability.
Expert:  Mike D. replied 4 years ago.
The basic steps are as follow:

1. Download the driver.
2. Run the driver program.
3. Temporarily connect the printer to the computer using a USB cable.
4. Configure printer settings.
5. Remove USB cable.
6. Enjoy wireless printing.

Fully detailed instructionsare located in the manual, if you need them.

Please reply if you need further assistance with your question.

Edited by Mike Driscoll on 2/17/2010 at 10:29 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I downloaded the driver and i can print when its connected to my lap top. I followed the directions from lexmark on connecting for wirekess and after entering the wireless security information and disconnecting the printer from the lap to print wireless I get a message the computer cannot communicate with the printer. Do you have any ideas?
Expert:  Mike D. replied 4 years ago.
I am out of ideas. I will opt out so that another expert may assist you.

Expert:  Tech Support replied 4 years ago.
Hi there - I'd be happy to assist you! Let's try this: Navigate to Start > Control Panel > Printer. Once there, you will see a list of printers currently installed on your system. Right-click on your Lexmark and click 'Remove'. Once this is done, click the 'Add a printer' option on your menu bar. When prompted, select that you would like to 'Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer' and allow it to search out your Lexmark. If it is able to find it, please select and follow the prompts to complete installation. If it does not find your printer, we will have to do some further diagnostics.

Please let me know how this turns out!

--Alexander

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I deleted the printer from the control panel and searched for new printer with add a new printer and the search for the printer reads no printer found

Hi there - Let's try making sure the printer is connected to the network properly. First, is the wireless icon on your printer green? This will indicate a proper connection. If so, let's try using the Network Configuration Utility. Go to Start > All Programs > Lexmark > Network Configuration Utility. Is the utility able to detect your printer? If so, please write down the IP address and let me know. I will be able to assist you in setting it up from here...

If it does not detect, we will have to verify that all network security settings are correct such that the printer can connect properly.

--Alexander

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the printer works when plugged in with a usb cable, the wireless light is on and when i run the lexmark wireless setup i get an ip address of 192.168.1.2

Great! So let's try this... Navigate back to Start > Control Panel > Printer and select the 'Add a printer' option. When prompted, select that you would like to 'Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer' and allow it to search out your Lexmark. Because we were unable to connect earlier, it is expected that it will not find it this time around either. Once it fails to find any printer, you should see a selection along the lines of 'The printer that I want isn't listed'. Click this selection and, on the next screen, select 'Add a printer using a TCP/IP address'. Click Next, enter 192.168.1.2 as your printers IP address, and click Next again. This should detect and install your printer over the network.

Please let me know how this works out for you!

--Alexander

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I followed the instructions by installing adding a printer using a tcp/ip address and no luck yet. Sorry for this mess
What is the error that you get when trying to add the printer using the IP address?

--Alexander

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

after entering yhe TCP/IP address i ot a message "additional port info required" device not found on the network, next, detecting driver model, driver not found, after scan i entered lexmark ink jet and the series 9300 appeared.after entering this a test page appeared, i entered ok and the lexmarkpage shows printing complete but nothing printed.

Did the Lexmark network utility happen to mention which port the printer was on? A port is something like a sub-address for an IP address, and the way these are assigned varies by manufacturers, and in some case by individual printer. Please let me know, and if it does not, I will review the relevant Lexmark documentation and see how it is determined for your model.

--Alexander

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yes it showed a port nam "9300_Series_02116D_P1"

Excellent - Evidently Lexmark bases part of this on your serial number, so it is good that we have the exact number. Try using this in the manual network printer setup we went through earlier, in the portion where it asks for the printer port. You may want to uninstall the non-functional printer entry currently in the system (Right-click > Remove) in order to avoid a conflict.

--Alexander

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I went to control Panel and deleted the lexmark printers and added new printer and after scan i added the port name printer and got message the port name is XXXXX XXXXX

Are you entering '9300_Series_02116D_P1' in the field below the IP address? Alternatively this may be formatted as 192.168.1.2:9300_Series_02116D_P1 (with a colon in between the IP address and port). If using this format, you should enter the same information in both fields.

--Alexander

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I entered the IP address and colon then the port address in both columns and got message to print a test page and got a message that devive not found.

Hmm... What is the exact model of your printer? I know you said 9300 series, but I want to ensure that we're looking at the proper drivers and documentation here.

--Alexander

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the book that came with the machine list it as 9300 series, the model number from the back of the machine is 4422-001, the serial number is02500038236.

Hope this helps, this is very frustrating.

Well, that's definitely an X9350 then, so the drivers you were given earlier were correct. Past that, and as our manual setup refuses to detect, I'm out of ideas! On occasion there are conflicts with network security, but if the setup is taking your settings without issue, then it should be connected. Also, if you have a valid IP, that means you're communicating with DHCP on the router. The only other thing I could think would be if the IP were a duplicate, but that shouldn't be happening if the router is working as it should.

I'm going to opt out and allow another expert to look over our conversation and chime in if they have any additional ideas.

I appreciate your time and wish you the best! Someone should be in touch with you shortly...

--Alexander

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks for your time
Not a problem - Hopefully someone will be in touch shortly.

--Alexander