Brandon M.
Brandon M., Information Systems Manager
Experience:  Currently an IT Manager for law firm. Work with Exchange, Blackberries, MS Office daily
12024030

I have verizon-aol 9.0 vr installed but my sign on screen has

I have verizon-aol 9.0 vr installed but my sign on screen has a % sign where my screen name should be and I can not change it
Category: Computer
Expert:  Brandon M. replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for using JustAnswer.com, my name is Brandon! Please click the "Accept" button only if you feel I should get paid for my answer(s). If you feel I have done a good job and wish to give me a Bonus, that is much appreciated! :)

This is usually caused by the Verizon installer. We will need to uninstall AOL and reinstall it manually to fix this issue..

1. Open the Windows Control Panel.
    • If using Windows XP, click Start, and then click Control Panel.
    • If using Windows 2000/98/Me, click Start, click Settings, and then click Control Panel.
  2. Double-click the Add or Remove Programs or Add/Remove Programs icon.
  3. Uncheck the Downloaded files and Filing Cabinet files boxes. Select America Online, and then click Change/Remove.
    • Note: If AOL Uninstaller (Choose which Products to Remove) or AOL Uninstaller appears in the list, skip to step 8
  4. Select the versions of the AOL software you wish to remove, and then click Next.
  5. Click Next to start the uninstallation.
  6. Click Finish.
  7. If prompted to restart the computer, click OK.
    • The steps below are only if you were not able to follow the steps above.
  8. Click AOL Uninstaller (Choose which Products to Remove) to highlight it, and then click Change/Remove or Add/Remove.
  9. Click Yes to search for all versions of the AOL software installed on the computer.
  10. If you are not prompted with the AOL Uninstaller window, click the Search for Other Versions of AOL link.
  11. Select the versions of the AOL software you wish to remove, and then click Uninstall.
  12. Click Yes to start uninstallation.
    • Note: If you do not wish to keep personal data and settings for the versions of the AOL software you are uninstalling, uncheck the Personal Data and Settings box.
  13. If prompted to restart the computer, click OK.

Now we are going to download the latest version of AOL for your computer directly from AOL:
  1. Go to the following website http://daol.aol.com/software/95/
  2. If you have Windows XP or greater, click the big, orange "Download now" button
  3. If you have Windows 2000, Me or 98 under "System Requirements" click the link "Windows 2000, ME or 98SE users please click here"
  4. Your download and install process will begin.
Let me know if you need anything further!

Best regards,
Brandon
Brandon M., Information Systems Manager
Experience: Currently an IT Manager for law firm. Work with Exchange, Blackberries, MS Office daily