1. Go to Tools->Options
2. Under General, choose "Audio settings"
3. Under Ringing:
a. If you want the PC speaker to ring, check "ring PC Speaker".
b. Ensure "Use selected speaker" is choosen, or choose the speaker of your choosing.
4. In the left pane, choose "Sounds"
5. Under "Select which events play a sound", ensure "ringtone" is checked
6. With ringtone selected, under Choose which sound to play select "Ringtone (Classic)". (You can change this back later, but some people had issues with the default ringtone, so this step is added in case you have that issue)
Please let me know if this solution works for your or not. If you'd like me to ring you with Skype for a test, let me know (I have Skype). If this does not fix the issue let me know. Thanks,
I'm sorry to hear it is still not working. I will "opt-out" so another expert may attempt to answer your question.
I'd like to collect some more information:
Please try the following in Skype:
2. Under General, click on "Sounds"
3. Under "Select which Events play a sound" select "ringtone".
4. Click "Play this sound".
Do you hear the sound play?
Thanks for the additional info and your patience. I would like to get a little more info
1. Under Tools->Options is "ring PC speaker" checked or unchecked?
2. In the drop down (just above the check-box, if you click on it what are your available options?)
ring pc speaker is checked
drop down options: ring on all devices (the one denoted at this time)
use selected speaker
speakers (Signa Tel High Definition Audio CODEC)
If you uncheck "ring pc speaker", I assume the behavior is the same, right?
Here something else to try, but please be warned that this may remove any personal customization of skype you've done:
1. Quit Skype. Right click on Skype icon system tray and choose "Quit".2. go to Start -> Run and type:%appdata%\skype3. Once Skype folder is opened please delete "shared.xml" file.4. Then open the folder that has the same name as your account with skype. Inside you'll find a file called config.xml. Delete config.xml.After deleting shared.xml and config.xml files please uninstall Skype asfollows:1. From Start menu, click on "Control Panel" and then choose "Add/Remove Programs".If you are using Vista then: Start > Control Panel > Programs > "Programs and Features".2. Select Skype from the list and click on "Remove".3. Go to C:\Program Files and delete the "Skype" folder from there.4. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\All users\ApplicationData and delete the "Skype" folder from there.For Vista: C:\ProgramData\After complete uninstallation please download and install the latest version of Skype from: http://www.skype.com/download/skype/windows/?c=101
Let me know if it helps.
No problem--it is actually my mistake (I'm using XP and you are using Vista. Rather than Start->Run, just click on the Start button and then in the text box that reads "Start Search", type in
If that doesn't work, you can get the "run" command to appear in Vista by following the instructions here:
Let me know if that doesn't work.
Okay, no problem--there is no rush. Let me know how it goes.
Sorry to hear it still isn't working. Unfortunately, I am out of ideas since your sound appears to be working other than the ringing. I'm glad you were satisfied with my service--there is no obligation to accept my answer as we did not get the issue resolved.
I will "opt-out" so that if another expert has any good ideas they can step in.
I did--and thanks so much for the additional bonus--it is greatly appreciated. I hope we can serve you again in the future.