CyberWerx
CyberWerx, IT Solutions Architect
Experience:  35+ years corporate experience designing and deploying WinTel PC's, Servers, Clusters and SANs.
28014036

when i hook hdmi cable to laptop it shuts off the display on

Customer Question

when i hook hdmi cable to laptop it shuts off the display on laptop. trying to hookup laptop to tv. this worked fine in Vista
Category: Computer
Expert:  CyberWerx replied 4 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'd like to help you resolve this problem.

I'd be inclined to agree with HP ... Windows 7 has very dodgy driver support at the moment.

Did you get the W7 as an upgrade from HP or did you purchase it as a retail product ? I suspect the latter given HP's response but I'd like confirmation.

I'll see if I can find the correct drivers for you.

Q1) What is the model number of the laptop ?

Q2) Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version of W7 ?

This Q&A may need to go back and forth a few times which may take a bit of time. I need to have a comprehensive understanding of the situation before I start working the problem so please be patient ...

Edited by CyberWerx on 2/13/2010 at 4:05 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks!

I got Windows 7 as an upgrade when I bought my laptop. Upgraded came about month or two later. Trying to hook-up laptop to TV. Had no problem with Vista. Now when I insert HDMI cable to laptop the screen on laptop turns off

Model HP G60-458DX -run 64 bit

Expert:  CyberWerx replied 4 years ago.

The upgrade was an HP supplied DVD ? ... this problem is starting to confuse me as HP are very good at supplying all of the drivers for their products.

All I can suggest in the circumstances is to try downloading and installing the latest driver from the HP support site here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareList?os=4063&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=uk&product=3989793&lang=en

There appear to be two drivers for this laptop. Given the HDMI connection I'd try the NVIDIA drivers first. If they are not appropriate the HP installer will abort without installing. If this happens try the second one.

If you need to come back to me can you tell me if you are seeing anything displayed on your TV when you plug the HDMI cable into your laptop ?

If this has not helped resolve your problem ... DO NOT ACCEPT ... I do not expect any payment until your problem is resolved to your satisfaction. Reply to me with as much additional information as you can and I will continue "working the problem" ...

If you feel I have helped solve your problem or you feel we have taken this question as far as we can and you are completely satisfied please press the ACCEPT icon as it is the only way I get paid. Positive feedback and Bonus's for that "extra mile" are always appreciated.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the upgrade came in an email not on a disc

I never get a far as seeing anything on the tv screen because the laptop screen turns off when i plug in the hdmi cable

Expert:  CyberWerx replied 4 years ago.

I'm even more confused. Are you sure the email came from HP ? I have not heard of HP distributing software in this way ... they normally supply upgrades in the form of disks when you register your product on their website.

The laptop switching off when the HDMI cable is inserted is a clear indication of a driver problem.

Have you managed to download and install the latest drivers yet ?

Edited by CyberWerx on 2/13/2010 at 4:53 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
email came from a company called ARVATO DIGITAL SERVICES who was handling the online upgrade for the company. There was no disc. The one upgrade is almost done
Expert:  CyberWerx replied 4 years ago.

I guess HP do things differently in the US. Over here in the UK they provide disks.

Let me know if the HDMI problem persists after loading the new drivers.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

still no good

if i press windows & p I can get to control panel but it shows 2 monitors but wont let me extend or allow me to make #2 my main display. detect only show #1

Expert:  CyberWerx replied 4 years ago.

At least your PC is no longer crashing when you plug your TV into the HDMI connector.

It looks like HP have not sorted out the drivers for Windows 7 yet. All I can suggest is to keep an eye on the HP link I sent you in the weeks ahead for further updates.

As the end result was "no joy" I don't expect any payment so ignore any automated messages from JA to [ACCEPT] as they are not coming from me.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks for trying

I guess it's back on t he phone to India

Expert:  CyberWerx replied 4 years ago.
Best of luck ... Cry ... I know what that can be like.