Christopher
Christopher, B. Eng in Computer Engineering
Experience:  Computer Engineering degree holder with a ton of programming and computer troubleshooting experience
29149269

all of a sudden my computer is asking me to activate windows,

Customer Question

all of a sudden my computer is asking me to activate windows, why would it do that
Category: Computer
Expert:  Christopher replied 6 years ago.

This is a common message that you are getting that is being produced because your copy of windows vista has not been activated.
In order to activate your copy of windows and get rid of the annoying popups, follow the instructions on the Microsoft support site:
http://support.Microsoft.com/kb/940315

For the official explanation from Microsoft support:
Activation helps verify that your copy of Windows is genuine and that it has not been used on more computers than the Microsoft Software License Terms allow. Activation also helps prevent software counterfeiting.
In order to continue using all the features in Windows Vista, activation is required. When you start Windows Vista the first time, you have 30 days to activate it online or by telephone. If the activation period expires before you complete the activation, many features of Windows Vista will be disabled. To regain full use of Windows Vista, you must activate it.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

i have had this lap top since october, my daughter gave it to me and it has never asked

me to activate windows before, so why now

This may be caused if you made any hardware changes to the computer recently. Alternately, your copy of windows may not have been a legitimate copy, and a recent windows update may have run a windows genuine advantage check and found an illegal copy. If you believe that your copy is legitimate copy then you should follow the instructions at the link I posted before, and if that does not work, you should contact the retailers that sold you the computer and/or windows and inform them that the windows vista that they provided you with does not appear to be legitimate.