Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience:  11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO

My Toshiba laptop is frozen! Please help!

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.
Please answer all these questions 1 to 4 point by point.

1. When you press the power button to turn it on, do you see any thing on screen, like the Toshiba boot up screen or something like that. Or is it completely blank (black color) always.

2. Can you see a faint image of your desktop (try to see it in dark place with flash light). This is important to confirm.

3. Also, when you press power button, do you see the LED lights on laptop blinking or solid green (which ones are in blinking/solid) and do hear any sound ? Or do you feel that your laptop doesnt even try to boot.

4. Can you hear any Beeps when you try to turn on the computer. If yes, what is the sequence of those beeps.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

1. It goes off, we hit the power button it is a Windows Vista Premium screen with no login or mouse.

2.No.

3.When we power it down, there is an orange blinking light. When we power it up all the buttons are green.

4. None

Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Are you able to turn on the toshiba laptop and reach its desktop ? ... if not, what is the last screen till which it loads ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, we have the Windows Vista icon coming on the screen as well as the normal background screen, however, there is no mouse or any other icons at all.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Please follow the steps below and let me know results.

Steps:
1. Restart your laptop and keep pressing F8 key.
2. This will take you to Boot Option Menu
3. Select "Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked)"
4. Press Enter
5. Windows should load normally.

Let me know.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We will give it a try. Please stand by and we will let you know what happens.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

No worries, please take your time

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
we have tried to shut down the pc and and it brings us to the appropriate back ground with "please wait" and nothing happens beyond that.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

So, did you still reach the desktop where there are no icons ?

Can you see the taskbar at the bottom of the screen ? ... can you click on the Start button (round windows button)

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No icons, no taskbar

,just "please wait" and then it goes back to the regular background with no mouse or icons.

Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

When it goes to regular background .. please click CTRL+Shift+Esc keys (all together)

A TaskManager window will open

Let me know when you reach there

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tried the ctrl, shift ans esc at once and NOTHING.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL ... and a window should open up

Click Task Manager there ... let me know result

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tried doing that, still nothing happens, just "please wait"
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

We need to perform system recovery on your computer. This will take it to its original factory settings. Recovery can be done in two ways as explained below.

1. To recover your hard disk drive follow these steps:

1. If the computer is running, shut it down -- by clicking Start, then Shut Down, then Shut Down again.

2. Press and hold the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard and then depress the computer's power switch. When the computer turns on, the Toshiba HDD Recovery Utility screen will appear, presenting three options:

2hddru.jpg

Sample TOSHIBA HDD Recovery Utility screen

Restore Original Factory Image (Recommended)

CAUTION: Restoring a hard disk drive to its factory default state deletes all partitions on the hard disk drive and all data stored within them. All of your files and information will be lost. be sure to back up all important files first.

1. Press 1 to restore your hard disk drive to its original factory default state. A confirmation message will appear, indicating that all data will be overwritten and lost during the restore process. Be sure to back up all important files before proceeding.

2. Click Yes to begin the restoration. A message will appear once the operation is finished, indicating that the HDD has been restored.

3. Press any key to restart the computer.

2. If pressing 0 key does not initiate above recovery process, then your computer does not have the built in recovery. Then you have to use the Toshiba Recovery Disc that came with your computer.

If no Disc came with your computer you can order one by calling up Toshiba Support. Customer Service : 800-631-3811
(if you are not in US please let me know)

Feel free to ask any question or concern you may have. I will be glad to help you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, this is our situation: we currently have a Windows Vista Home Premium screensaver, with a spinning circle (like its loading) and a "please wait" text. This occurs for about 5 minutes or so, then goes back to the Windows Vista Home premium screen without the please wait text or mouse. The only thing we can do right now, is shut the power off and get this current screen. We have no access to a desktop, icons, or start menu.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

Please press the power button on the laptop and keep it pressed till it shuts down. It will not take more than a minute

Then follow my above instructions.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We were able to pull up a Windows recovery mode. We choose "Safe Recovery with networking" and did have a desktop but it was basically bare bones. Then we restarted the computer and got the same screen as before.
Expert:  Andy replied 4 years ago.

If pressing 0 key does not initiate above recovery process, then your computer does not have the built in recovery. Then you have to use the Toshiba Recovery Disc that came with your computer.

Andy, Computer Consultant
Experience: 11yr exp, Comp Engg, Internet expert, Web developer, SEO
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you for your expertise, time and advise. You were very helpful. We will contact Toshiba for a Recovery disk as pressing the 0 key does not work.