Kevin
Kevin, Computer Systems Analyst
Experience:  Microsoft Certified Professional (MCSA, MCP) Technician with over 20 years of PC experience.
26642388

autocomplete in google seach is not working on any of my computers.

autocomplete in google seach is not working on any of my computers. It was working up until a few days ago. I use internet explorer 8 and windows xp professional. Thanks.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

You can turn the suggestion part of google back on from this link - this is the part where when you type into the google search it autofills:

http://www.google.com/preferences

At the bottom of the page is query suggestions. Turn this feature on and it will autofill for you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thanks, XXXXX XXXXX's not my problem. The auto suggest feature works fine. I would like the autocomplete history to be restored. Has google made a change to their website?
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.
No - not that I'm aware of. Are you referring to the part at the top of the browser where you type the website address in? Just want to make sure I am thinking of the same part you are...
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm talking about the google search box on the website
Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

That's what I originally thought - like this:

graphic

There are two part to that - enabling Query Suggestions:

graphic

And cookies - if you have a security program not allowing cookies to be saved, the autocomplete part will not work. It could also be that your google cookie is corrupt - you can delete all of your cookies from your browser to fix that.

If that doesn't work, use the google.com/preferences link to diable the Query Suggestions, save it, then enable it again.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have 3 computers and I'm noticing the autocomplete for search history in google is no longer functioning. I doubt all 3 computers would have corrupt google cookies. Again, the problem is not the auto suggestion feature, it's the autocomplete search history. For example if I go to a website such as www. imdb.com and type in a movie and then go back into google, it will be shown in the autocomplete history if I type in the first letter of that movie. However, if I type in the movie name in the google search bar,access the website and then go back to google, it doesn't come up. I assume some of you use IE 8. Could anyone try to do what I'm talking about? Sorry for the long reply. Thank you.

Expert:  Kevin replied 4 years ago.

I've been using it for quite a while. That is autocomplete of a URL, which is controlled by Internet Explorer. When I follow your instructinos, the movie does come up at the top of the browser, like you said.

When I follow the same process in the google search bar, it does not work, just like yours. Something must have changed on google's end if that is the case - the only way a site comes up is if you start to type the name of the site. Here are the steps I used:

Went to imbd.com, searched for the movie saw and click on it.

Went back to google, typed in saw and no links appear. Type in the start of imdb.com (just imd) and the link to the site came up.

It sounds like it is doing the same thing on my end it is on yours - and you are right, not all three would have corrupt cookies.

Kevin, Computer Systems Analyst
Experience: Microsoft Certified Professional (MCSA, MCP) Technician with over 20 years of PC experience.