Scott
Scott, Computer Software Engineer
Experience:  MS in Computer Science Engineering and MBA

why does the number 9 [white number in black square] appear

why does the number 9 [white number in black square] appear on my bottom toolbar?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Scott replied 4 years ago.
Could you provide an picture of it? The answer will depend on the context of where the number is. Is it similar to the number "7" on the image next to the words "Internet Explorer" as the bottom of the screen on the image (http://www.winsupersite.com/images/reviews/2465_51.gif)?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Here you go; I am attaching the desktop screen shot. I need to step out for a few hours, so I won't be able to provide additional information for awhile. Thanks!

How do I attach an image?

Expert:  Scott replied 4 years ago.

I have not tried to attach screenshots so I am guessing. Can you get a screenshot and then cut and paste it to here? If not is there a place on the Internet to store the image that I could click on a link to view?

Expert:  Scott replied 4 years ago.

I was able to include this picture of a dog by right-clicking the image, choosing "copy" and then pasting it in the question window.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Okay, Scott-

Here you go:

graphic

Expert:  Scott replied 4 years ago.
the image did not go through. Were you able to see my dog?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Scott-

Sorry about this; I'll have to figure out some other options. Incidentally, yes I can see the dog, but I can't seem to get the screen shot to attach. Again, sorry for the inconvenience...

Expert:  Scott replied 4 years ago.
no problem. Just let me know when you are ready.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

i am going to use a sample photo of another desk top; let's see if it works. Along the bottom strip [lower toolbar] is the letter P [white lettering encaed in a black square]. It appears alongside other, typical toolbar options as if it is meant to be there. But when the cursor is held over it, there is no alt box that appears.

graphic

Expert:  Scott replied 4 years ago.

Your image came through and I was able to review the picture. Nothing looked out of the ordinary but I believe I am able to see what you are talking about. This is a "desk tray" icon that is to signal that the program it is associated with is running. Some applications put this so you know it is running even if there is no actual options to choose (it is also free subliminal advertising). I am unable to tell you which application this belongs to as this is Dependant on what you install. What I can say is I do not have any reason to believe this is malicious.

Hope this helps.

Scott, Computer Software Engineer
Experience: MS in Computer Science Engineering and MBA