David L
David L, Systems Engineer
Experience:  Microsoft & Cisco Certified with over 20 years experience
13852270

I cant get the Magic Jack to work and my computer does not

Customer Question

I can't get the Magic Jack to work and my computer does not have any administrators restrictions. What now? I have tried doing the upgrade and downgrade but no help.

I have been waiting for 2 days now for my answer.

Category: Computer
Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for contacting Just Answer.

If it was working and then stopped working then next please do the following:

1. Click the Start button, then click All Programs, click Accessories, click System Tools, and then click System Restore.
2. If you are prompted for an administrator password XXXXX confirmation, enter the password XXXXX provide confirmation.
3. Click the Restore My Computer To An Earlier Time radio button and click Next.
4. Now on the calendar that appears select the restore point that is at or before the date the issue first occurred and click Next.
5. Click Next again to start the restore process which will include a reboot.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I got tired of waiting for you to reply, and went into the files called C:>documents and settings> {My name}> Application Data> mjusbsp> in00000 and removed all the data and saved it to a different file folder on my backup drive just incase I need to re apply them.

I am sorry but I tried to do a restore too and this did not work either..

The problem satrted when I changed my mind and decided not to get the insurance because I didn't want to expose my credit card number on the web.

The phone can;t work form the system restore becaise it was only for 30 minutes that it worked fine.

I am going to try to completely re-install the Jack and see if I need you from there.

James Nunez Customer

Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Ok so there may be some issues with the reinstall because there are still other settings such as those saved in the registry that also need to be cleaned in order to complete an uninstall then reinstall.

It may be better to place the folder back and then try the link below first:

http://www.magicjack.com/5/magicfix.asp

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

After I cleaned this files out , I went and installed it back and the thing started working again, But I could only make 3 more calls and it wouldn't work again.

How do I clean the registry files out to completely start all over again.

It is doing the same thing again dog gone it.

I click on the start with the MJ Icon and it acts like it will start, goes through the splash showing the MJ Photo in the screen, but that is as far as it goes.

What Now to clean the whole thing out of the registry?. Customer/p>

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Something happened to my e-mail and I had to do a restore to 2-4-2010 to get my e-mails back.

I am still at the same point as I was on 2-4-2010

This Magic Jack is really getting to my nerves, and i have a friend in Canada that I need to be calling daily, but can't get this MJ to work more than a few calls then the same thing happens. Why me? or is everyone else having the same problems as I am having?

Where do I go next?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have tried everything I know and did the restore systembut the same problem still exsists. Iwill be patient, but waiting for 3 days for the first reply, I thought was slow.

Do you have only 11 to 16 tech's re to handle all the same problems I have.

What about this, do you think that I will ever get this MJ to work as good as more than just 3 calls ever?

I will be patient as long as I am making some progress.

Thank you David L.

Customer/p>
Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
I don't know the exact number of techs we have but do know the number does vary depending upon time of day. I apologize for the 3 day wait - that is unusual.

Yes you can get the MJ to work well as many people are using them with success.

Next disable your antivirus firewall, and web filter then try Magic Jack again.

It sounds like it is working because the first few calls work but then it stops. When it does not work can you hear a dial tone on the phone?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Can I unplug my MJ and use it on another friends computer without creating any problems to the friends computer?

I will NOT give a negative feedback for David L or Majic Jack, just because you guys are so backed up with answers to give out.

I like the calls for you to have over 20,000 per Systems Engineers, that is a pretty good

sign of job security.

My problem started when I changed my mind and didn't want to issue my credit card number to use the insurance of just $ 1.00. The system didn't finish the complete install required. I still have a few questions, and where is the instructions other than the install instructions on the site?

Customer Thanks for a speedier reply David l.

Customer

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Mr.David L,

I still did not get the answer to where the usage instructions are, and I feel like this little request would have probably told me of all the problems, but there are NO user questions and answers.

Can you direct me to them, because no one know a product like the manufacturer,

and this should be a top priority to stop all the negative feedbacks, as it would answer the problems before they start with a process of elimination.

Where are the usage instructions?

Customer/p>

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just when I thought My Magic Jack was working I loaded in a few contacts, I made a few calls, then I turned off the computer, and went to sleep, then this morning I started the computer, and the Magic Jack won't start up again. I know that the installation went in right, because it showed the Jack Icon in the task tray on the loweer right corner, but now it won't start up at all and only goes to the MJ site, the auto player acts like it is going to work but won't find the MJ to start up.

What is this thing going to do, give me problems until I take it back?

I turned off the firewall as instructed to do by you, but it still does not find the MJ.

Customer

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I finally found all the Q & A part at the bottom of your site, but with all this information,

and doing a go back didn't

work either, because the darn thing doesn't go to a place where it ever worked right, because it never has worked like it should have from the start.

I still have the same problem with the MJ acting like it wants to start and goes to the

MJ website and shows the splash trying to do its thing, but never finishes the complete start up right. I am going to have time with this thing, and probably have enough time in it to retire as a professional MJ cronic user.

I am waiting for the nest solution to try, because I don't like to quit qnything that I start.

I am still with you here.

Customer 2-8-2010

Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your patience.

Just to clarify, can you take a screenshot of the splasher screen that you are seeing and post it here using the green tree icon in the toolbar above this text box?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

How doI do this screen shot of the Splash in the middle of the screen?

I can' copy it, close it, or modify anything that has to do with it when it is showing, and it is showing that it is stuck on some of the software for an unknown reason.

I would love to ablidge you on your request, but don't know haw to do anything with that stuck splasher Icon.

Customer 2-9-2010

Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Try pressing the ALT and PrtScr or Print Screen keys on your keyboard at the same time then click Start, Run and type Mspaint then in Paint click Edit then Paste then File then Save As and name and save the screen shot then click the green tree icon in the toolbar above this text box and navigate to where you saved the screen shot and select it then select Ok then Insert to upload it here so I can review.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Give Me some time to get this down, and I will accomodate your requests.

Customer/p>
Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Ok then I will check back later. Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

David L. 2-11-2010

I can't get the Print screen key with the ALT & Print screen to do anything period.

I tried all kinds of cobinations to do this, but tnothing works.

I may need ot install my Print screen program for windows to do this.

I will get back to you when I have this done.

jnunez5951

Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Ok so print screen in Windows is strange because it does not actually look like it has done anything until you paste the screen shot into a document. So pressing ATL and Print Screen keys at the same time will not indicate that a screen shot has been taken. But after you do that click Start, All Programs, Accessories, Paint and click Edit then Paste and it will paste the screen shot into Paint.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok I will try that one more time as you want, but I am still at the MY Magic Jack tries to start up, but gets hung up for some reason. I do remember once when I thought it was going to work and the little chart showing the starting state in the center of the screen, but that is where it hangs up ok.

Customer

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I had to go get another Magic Jack and install it, and it started up like it was supposed to.

Now what about the other 3 numbers that I had registered and had to return them.

and how do I know that this one will re-start up right again.

I can't keep returning them, because it will seem like I have 4 different phones in use now, and the only one that I have here is number (XXX) XXX-XXXX.

Can you get all the others removed from my name?

I need for you to send the correct setup file so I don't have two different phones trying to start up at the same time.

one of my other numbers was(XXX) XXX-XXXX the other one was (XXX) XXX-XXXX

when I open the C:\documents and,settings folder at the all users start up there is setup MJ icon in this folder. then when I open the start menu in that folder there is a nother MJ "Loader Icon" in the start in the menu for all users, is this right for the MJ to work right.

then finally do i need to delete the other MJ Icon setup in the MY computer drive listed as drive # XXXXX beacuse that was the previous drive letter.

My new MJ is # XXXXX in the drived, can I delete the old drive letter # XXXXX and still have everything OK.

James Customer/p>

I am afraid to turn off the computer because of all the trouble I have had in the past with removing the folders and never getting them back right again.

Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Ok so first just to clarify, the Magic Jack did start and work correctly right ?

If so then where do you see the other numbers listed? Also, when you call the numbers from a different phone does it ring your Magic Jack phone?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I was on the MJ phone now, and that number is (XXX) XXX-XXXX

But I am worried about there are two MJ Icons and on two drives the last one went to Drive # E, and I want to know if I can deletethe old drive # L that still shows the old MJ Icon on it?

What about any files that were left from the third MJ Phone, what do I do with them now? I wrote the numbers down on paper, that is how I know the numbers that were attached to them.

what about turning off the computer and retarting it, because it may not restart again, this is my problem.

I am wondering if you can e-mail to me each page and what the set up is supposed to look like an each step taken.

Customer

Customer

Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Well next to addres the drives, click Start then Run then type Diskmgmt.msc in the Run box and press Enter then in Disk Manager find the other drives and if they are displayed as offline then it is safe to delete them.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My computer tells me that diskmgmt.msc is not recognised and ask me to respell it and try again, then I spelled it out, then the same. where is this disk mamagement file floder anyway?

what next?

waitingCustomer/p>

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yesterday I got a different MJ and stalled it again, and again when I turned off the computer the Magic Jack would not start up again.

I unloaded all the softwhere, and did a registry clean to remove all the un used registry files, so I could start off fresh, sure enough the new MJ started working again and I made a few calls, but when I thuned off the computer, the magic Jack would not start up again. I have talked with several people that have their magic Jack and they love theirs. Now I can't get the MJ to start up again no matter what I turn off or on.

Customer/p>
Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Ok then next click Start then Run and type Eventvwr.msc in the Run box and press Enter then in Event Viewer look for errors and warnings that posted in the Application and System logs on the last reboot in which Magic Jack stopped working. Then double click on the errors and warnings and let me know if any point to a root cause reason why the Magic Jack software is failing. If not sure click the double paper icon in the log details then click here and press CTL and V keys at the same time to paste the information here so I can review.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

David L;

I can't locate the double paper icon is where? In the event Properties window? or do you want tme to click on the http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp. then event viewer windo opens stating item name Event ID 1001 & file name is faultrep.dll

File version 5.1.2699.5512 on 2/18/2010 discription is fualt bucket XXXXXXXXX /p>

0000: 6b637542 203a7465 38353135 34393834
0010: 0a0d37

This is just the first Error on 2-18-2010 there are 7 more all together

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Hang
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 2/18/2010
Time: 10:22:44 AM
User: N/A
Computer: OWNER-8E4E02FE4
Description:
Fault bucket XXXXXXXXX

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0010: 0a0d37

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Hang
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 2/18/2010
Time: 10:22:44 AM
User: N/A
Computer: OWNER-8E4E02FE4
Description:
Fault bucket XXXXXXXXX

Data:
0010: 0a0d37

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Hang
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 2/18/2010
Time: 10:11:37 AM
User: N/A
Computer: OWNER-8E4E02FE4
Description:
Fault bucket XXXXXXXXXX

Data:
0000: 6b637542 203a7465 30383131 34373439
0010: 0a0d3935

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Hang
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1001
Date: 2/18/2010
Time: 10:11:37 AM
User: N/A
Computer: OWNER-8E4E02FE4
Description:
Fault bucket XXXXXXXXXX

Data:
0010: 0a0d3935

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Hang
Event Category: (101)
Event ID: 1002
Date: 2/18/2010
Time: 10:11:32 AM
User: N/A
Computer: OWNER-8E4E02FE4
Description:
Hanging application iexplore.exe, version 8.0.6001.18702, hang module hungapp, version 0.0.0.0, hang address 0x00000000.

Data:
0000: 6c707041 74616369 206e6f69 676e6148
0010: 65692020 6f6c7078 652e6572 38206578
0020: 362e302e 2e313030 30373831 6e692032
0030: 6e756820 70706167 302e3020 302e302e
0040: 20746120(NNN) NNN-NNNN 30207465 30303030
0050: 303030

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Application Hang
Event Category: (101)
Event ID: 1002
Date: 2/18/2010
Time: 10:11:32 AM
User: N/A
Computer: OWNER-8E4E02FE4
Description:

Data:
0050: 303030

Event Type: Error
Event Source: UmxAgent
Event Category: None
Event ID: 99
Date: 2/18/2010
Time: 5:39:03 AM
User: N/A
Computer: OWNER-8E4E02FE4
Description:
Sync event client C:\Program Files\CA\CA Internet Security Suite\CA Personal Firewall\capfsem.exe registration timeout

I fianally understand the way to paste the information that you need so badly

All of these were on the date of 2-18-2010

Customer/p>

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

David L,

This has happened everytime I get the Magic Jack pluggend in.

There were several more days that this same thing happened.

I just want to use the Magic Jack to call Houston, and Canada

to communicate with my associates bout the business.

Customer/p>
Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Ok so it installs but the installation does not persist past a reboot which implies that the install information is not being written to disk. So next click Start, Control Panel, User Accounts and check to confirm that your account is an Adminisrator account and if not click on Change an Account and change your account to an adminstrator account then try again to install Magic Jack.

Also, it could be that antivirus is blocking the install. So on the next installation completely disable all antivirus and antispy software (not just it's firewall) and try the install again.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

David L.

I tried disconnecting the firewall, and the virus protedtor, rebooted again, and when the Magic Jack is in the USB jack the software screen shows an error on page at the

bottom left corner, and it takes me forever to discnnect the hung up window.

I am as the administrator to use computer.

I feel like we are going to get it one of these weeks.

I am waiting further instructions.

MJ still will not be found with windows like it does when I did a fresh install.

How do I do a fresh Install, like before by removing all the files from the application data folder like I did before.

Why can't I make a cd rom and install the software that way.

This is a pain in the neck for you Techs.right.

Customer

Customer

Edited by Customer on 2/20/2010 at 2:51 AM EST
Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Magic Jack does not have a CD to install the software but what you can do is click the link below and run the patch application:

http://www.magicjack.com/5/magicfix.asp

Also just to confirm, are you plugging the Magic Jack into a USB hub or directly into the computer?

Also, what is the exact make and model of your computer?

Also, click Start then Run and type Winver and press Enter and let me know the exact version displayed.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Microsoft Version 5.1 (Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.091208-2036 : Service Pack 3)

Memory to windows 2,086,988kb

Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Thank you. And what is the exact Make and model of the computer?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dell Model # XXXXX is all I can see there.

Customer/p>
Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Ok so with Dell there is usually a service tag. What is the service tag number?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The dell service record is

G8VZ6B1

Today I tried to load the Magic Jack na it almost started, but gor huing up on the little

square window that shows it trying to startup.

I might have a I con for the start up in the wrong place.

Can you go over the places where I am supposed to have the MJ load icon?

I have a MJ loader icon in the start, then in the all programs there is another MJ setup Icon above the Accessories place, then in the start up in the long list of programs there is two MJ Icons (one mjsetup) and another one (MJ Icon setup only)

Now in the C:\documenrs and settings>owner file there is a MJ loader Icon .

Then in the pplications data file there another MJLoader icon

Now in the Documents and settings\owner\application aData\MJusbsp\ar00000 there are (2) more icons (MJ Splash) & (MJ setup)

Now in the Documents and settings\owner\applications data\mjusbsp\in00000there are (2) ,are MJ icons (MJsetup) and (MJ Splash)

Now going to the C:\documents and settings\owner\application data\mjusbsp\st00000

is only (1) MJ icon (MJ splash)

Now going to the C:\Documents and settings\owner\applications data\usbsp\ug00000 there is only (1) MJ icon (MJ Splash)

last in the C:\documents and settings\owner\application data\mjusbsp

there are (3) MJ icons here (MJ Loader) (MJ Splash) and just a (MJ Icon) that has just

11.6 mb file and there is a cdloader 2 Icon in here that I don't remember it being here at first.

C:\documents and settings\owner\applications data\mjusbspthere is another folder with

ST000001 here

This is the complete list of all the MJ Icons and where they are.

I am saving a copy of this for my instructions to follow.

I have disconnected the Firewall, and the Virus program as instructed.

I have the MJ directly into the computer USB 2 outlet exclusively.

Now I turned on the computer had the Magic Jack pluged in and left home for about 15 minutes. when I got back home I got excited because the Magic Jack had the phone program running and I tried to make a call, but the error sign came up and said the access was denied because another program or system was running the same program.

This is why I suspect that I have too many Magic Jack Icons in too many places, and I just need to know which ones to delete ro remove from the places as I described above.

I waited unil 7:38 pm and tried removing all the extra Icons, and all the .dll files.

which was all day and half thenight.

I still have the .dll files but don't remember where they go.

I used the old copy of the files to compare to and deleted everything that wasn't in the second setup files I have retained in a MJ folder on my desktop.

I am trying to do what is asked of me, but communications are awfully slow there.

Customer 2-21-2010

Today is 2-26-2010 I haven't gotten anything back since 2-21-2010

I am still waiting for David L to finish with me so I can use my MJ without all the troubles that I have had with the installation part.

Hello David L. where do I go from here?

Customer

Edited by Customer on 2/26/2010 at 1:32 PM EST
Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Sounds like you are very close. If you can do the same thing so that the software is installed and running, then if the same error appears click Start, Run and type Msconfig in the Run box and press Enter then in Msconfig select the Startup tab and disable all Magic Jack programs then save the settings then reboot. Now if on reboot the MJ software does not start then back in Msconfig select one of the MJ programs and reboot and then follow this process until the correct one starts.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

David L. I had to get away from the application for a whild to give me a break from this monster application. I can't get the Microsoft security system to turn off the firewall that it has in it. I have the off button clicked but the firewall is still on there.

I have tried the MS config turning off the CA Security suite in the auto start, but this doesn't turn off the microsoft security center firewall.

I even tried all the methods I know, but nothing works there.

I dn't want to delete the Microsoft security center, because then I will need to reload windows XP to get it back.

Any more ideas to help the finishing tough fo these problems

Customer.

Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
In Start, Control Panel, Windows Firewall, is the firewall disabled?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I copied the security center to my desktop from the control panel for convienence, and yes it is checked off, but it still shows that the firewall is still on in the other locations.

Which one is really right?

Like you said before I am getting closeest, but not quiet there yet.

what next?

Customer/p>
Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Next click Start, Run and type Services.msc and press Enter then find Windows Firewall and double click on it and click Stop then in the drop down click Disable.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

David L.

I tried this step, but the firewall still shows that it is still running even though I checked stop actions.

what do I need to do now, this has taken me 1 month to fix this pproblem now, can you give me an clue on how much longer this will take to get my Magic Jack working right?

Customer/p>
Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
To keep the firewall off you need to select Disable in the drop down box as well then click Ok then it will not start. Once you do that let me know what happens when you then plug in and try using Magic Jack just so I know the status and how close this is to resolution.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

David L. I am sorry to say the firewall still says that it is still on despite me clicking on the box to turn it off.

I have tried to turn off the virus protector that comes in windows and the same thing there, the virus program is still running despite all my efforts there on these two things.

I just don't know where else to go to dis-engague these two from my compuer.

Got any thing else for me to try now.

James Nunez jnn951

Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Yes, reboot the computer and before the Windows logo appears start tapping the F8 key and select Safe Mode with Networking and press Enter then in Safe Mode check to see if the Firewall is off and if not try again to turn it off and then try Magic Jack again.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Mr. David L. I tried to do the last request and it still does not work after the first initial setup period.

I get head aches with this stupid system, why can't there be some kind of way to do the set up from a CD Rom like all the other good programs do.

The idea is great, but my head hurts everytime I tr something else and get the same disappointing results, doesn't work again.

What next, because my firewall is disconnected it says, and my virus program has expired, so it can't be the problem.

Now I am really lost for help. Got any more other iedas to try.

James Nunez Customer/p>

Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Do you have an XP install disk?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

David L. This is a stupid Dell computer, and I am afraid to try anything with the disk, because the last time I tried something with the system, I caused it to crash and I lost everthing on my hard drive, which I don't want to do again.

I used to load windows 98 with the startup disk, and now everything on this dell is different.

Where else can we go?

Customer

Expert:  David L replied 4 years ago.
Next download and run the Magic Jack uninstaller utility at the link below:

http://www.magicjack.com/5/faq/

Then unplug the Magic Jack, reboot and plug it in to reinstall.