Eric M.
Eric M., Computer Science PhD Candidate
Experience:  Bachelor's and Master's in Computing, pursuing PhD

Failed to install H&R Block At Home Software

I tried to install "H&R Block At Home Software" It didn't go through. The message after clicking the "install or run Program" was: c:\program files(x86)\HRRBlock 2009\Program\HRBlock 2009.exe The application has failed to start because its side by side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log for more detail." I don't know where to look at the application log or what that message meant. Thanks

Category: Computer
Expert:  Eric M. replied 6 years ago.

This is a somewhat well-documented error in Windows Vista. The exact cause can vary, but typically one of the following two will work:

First of all, the easy answer: Uninstall the program and reinstall it. Restart the computer after uninstalling it to make sure everything clears out.

If that doesn't work, then the problem tends to lie -- bizarrely enough -- in Microsoft Visual C++. Do you do any programming? Either way, it might help to download and install the latest Microsoft Visual C++ runtime. This seems strange, but it appears to fix the problem frequently.

So, uninstall the application again, then install the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime. After that restart the computer, then reinstall the H&R Block software.

You can find the Microsoft Visual C++ runtime here:

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you David,
I followed the steps in your answer. When I reinstall the software. The computer got frozen.
Is there a remedy for that?
Expert:  Eric M. replied 6 years ago.
That's very strange -- is that after installing the Visual C++ runtime or before?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It is after installing the Visual C++ runtime
Expert:  Eric M. replied 6 years ago.
That's very strange. Let's see.

When you say "frozen", what do you mean exactly? The computer as a whole simply locks up (mouse won't move, etc.) and you just have to turn it off? Or something else?

Have you tried installing it again since it froze, and if so, did it freeze again?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I will try again