Viet - Computer Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Ten years of computer support. Microsoft MCP & CompTIA A+ certifications. Windows 10 8 7 Vista XP etc.
30037186

I am locked out of my windows 7 computer. I dont remember

Customer Question

I am locked out of my windows 7 computer. I don't remember my user name. (I never have to use it) is there a way to retrieve it?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Viet - Computer Tech replied 6 years ago.
HiCustomer

Please try this: Turn on your computer, then right-after the black screen & white text or your computer logo disappears, press & release the key F8 repeatedly until a menu shows up and choose to go to Safe Mode, then login with the Administrator account and go to Start->Control Panel->User accounts.

Note: if no menu appears to select Safe Mode, then turn off your computer an turn on again try the same steps as above, but this time press key F8 a bit earlier.

Thanks,
-Viet
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am not at home right now. I brought my computer in to work today to have our IT look at it. Since he was not familiar with windows 7, he wasn't sure how to retrieve the info.If I still have a problem will I be able to write to you specifically? tomorrow?
Sure. Please get back to me tomorrow. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
how do I reach you?
JustAnswer only does online support, reply online on JustAnswer.com like you are doing.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
What information do you need?
The Info Request means the result or issue after you try the steps tomorrow.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have to apologize for not replying sooner. I have not had a good week with computers. This is the first opportunity to try the suggestion made about the black screen white text F 8 solution. It did not work. I am not on my computer right now. I will try it one more time .
I want to accept for the suggestion made, but if this doesn't work, will I have to pay for more help?
No, if it's this same issue, then you won't have to pay again; just reply to this same question. Make sure you try F8 key earlier and earlier; also try later; just keep trying. Just keep pressing & releasing after turning on the computer.