Scott H.
Scott H., Information Systems Manager
Experience:  30 years experience
30358501

How can I export a group address list in Outlook express with

Customer Question

How can I export a group address list in Outlook express with out exporting the whole address book..I use Windows XP media center...
Category: Computer
Expert:  Riccie Burr replied 4 years ago.
Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today.

This is a quick way to resolve your issue:
  • In outlook go to File>New>Folder, (Name the folder similar to the group you wish to export)
  • Once you have created the folder copy and paste the contacts you want to export into the new folder
  • then go to file>import/export and export that folder as a csv file and you should only get those contacts
If you have additional questions, please let me know.
Thanks,
Riccie

Fine Print Laughing
Please click on "Accept" if this answer meets your needs, that is the only way in which I am paid for my time. If you feel your issue is still unresolved, please express this to me in a follow-up email with detail and I will do all I can to completely resolve your issue. Your satisfaction is a priority to me! Positive feedback appreciated, and bonus' JUST MAKE MY DAY!
Thanks! Riccie
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have done what you say, however that is NOT exporting Group contacts. Your way means that I have to select each one of the addresses individually which I have done in the past, however again thatis not highlighting a GROUP and then going to file and telling it to export just that GROUP..
OK, here are a few other suggestions..

Option #1:
http://qbx6.ltu.edu/s_schneider/howto/oe_addbook.shtml

Option #2: (you might find this software package useful):
http://download.cnet.com/Address-Express/3000-2074_4-10035298.html?tag=mncol
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I went back and created a new folder, named it and then clicked on a group which was displayed on the OE page. I was able to copy the list by selecting the top one and moved down to the bottom one (53 of them) and held the shift key while cliking on the last one. This allowed me to "copy" and Paste into the new folder. I was able to export that new folder but when I went to open the exported list, it would not display what was in there ? ? ? ? ?.

Your Option 1 really didn't tell me anything...and I don't want a seperate program to do this...

OK great, let's keep working with with that,

So were able to successfully export a "group" by using standard Windows selection methods to select your items quickly, copy them, then paste them to the new folder and finally export the contents of the folder.

• What file type did you select for the export option? CSV, or something else?
  • What happens when you attempt to open the exported file? Do you receive an error message (or something else)
  • What are you using to open the exported file with (what application?)
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I exported it with a ".wab" format. When I opened it, it automatically went to Outlook exp to open it. and nothing showed up..

Can you attempt to export the same folder contents to a CVS file (just to test) and open it with notpad or any text editor just to verify that it has contents as a test.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did that after your suggestion as well as .wab extension. I exported to a .csv extension and when I opened it, it opened in excel however the entire address book was again in the list, not just the group....
OK, the entire address book was in the .csv file - that would lead me to question are you certain that during the second export process you exported just the folder that was created to hold the items you wanted to export and that was the only thing selected for export?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

After pasting the addresses in a group folder I then opened the folder in OE addresses and the addresses were shown in the window. I then exported the folder which was still opened and all the addresses followed. I s that the correct way to export the folder?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
What is the difference between a "group" or a "folder" like you suggest ? They both were created by copy and paste addresses into them. They act just alike as far as printing all the addresses, not just the group....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am assuming that you tried this on your computer using Outlook Express. What results did you have. ??
This is the only successful method I am aware of:

From previous email:
Excluding 3rd party applications. At this point I will, go ahead and opt out of this issue to allow you to work with another Expert who might have a solution that better meets your needs.

I hope you have a great day,
Thanks,
Riccie
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK.........Thanks for your time
Expert:  Scott H. replied 4 years ago.
Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX Riccie asked me to try and assist you.

I went into my OE and opened my address book.
I highlighted one of my groups, then went to File, Export, .WAB.
I named the WAB file and clicked OK or Finish.

I then browsed to the location of the WAB file and opened it.
The end result was I had both my groups exported, but not my entire address book.

Please try and let me know your results.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I tried what you did and when I opened the .wab file OE opened and there was no printing in the address section. What did you open your .wab file with ?
Expert:  Scott H. replied 4 years ago.
I opened mine with OE also. Do you get the drop down menu at the top that shows the VIEW option?

If so click this then ensure there is a check mark next to the TOOLBAR option. If this option is checked, you should get a PRINT option.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I tried it and when OE opened the file there was no addresses shown and the toolbar print icon was grey and wouln't open. I don't know what this has to do with anything.

Try exporting your group as a csv file and then open it. Everyone can't open a wab file unless they have OE. but a csv file is easy to open...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't understand what you mean by "I then browsed to the location of the WAB file and opened it.
The end result was I had both my groups exported, but not my entire address book."

Why both groups ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have OE version 6, what is yours?
Expert:  Scott H. replied 4 years ago.
I have version 6 also.

By "browsed to location" I meant that during the export process, OE asked me to name my file. I saved my file as C:\PICKS.WAB, so after the export I opened the My Computer icon, then double clicked on the C: drive, then found the PICKS.WAB file and double clicked on it to open it.

To your other suggestion:

I exported as a CSV but it took my entire address book, not the group, (as you mentioned previously).

Perhaps I could assist more if I knew what your end goal is; are you trying to export your group so you can import into another email client and are just wanting to get the email addresses?

If you were able to print, is the end result getting a hard copy of the email addresses?

I only ask because other than the WAB feature, (which other email clients can import from), I'm not sure how else to export just a group from OE w/o third party software.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If I try to create a wab file, the only way it can be opened is with OE. A csv file when opened (excel opens it), then I can email the file to others that want the file but don't have OE to open wab files. My options when exporting allows me to export a csv or wab file..
Expert:  Scott H. replied 4 years ago.
If you export to a WAB file, the file can be imported into 3rd party email clients like Thunderbird and Eudora.

I'm a little confused (my apologies, this is a long thread) so will ask for clarification.

Previously you said:

"I did that after your suggestion as well as .wab extension. I exported to a .csv extension and when I opened it, it opened in excel however the entire address book was again in the list, not just the group...."

This led me to believe exporting to a CSV was unacceptable. Your latest post said:

"A csv file when opened (excel opens it), then I can email the file to others"

So is a CSV file now acceptable, even though it doesn't export just the group, (which was your original request)?

Thanks for your patience!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
NO, I want to be able to export JUST a group in .csv file so that others don't have to have OE to open wab..
Expert:  Scott H. replied 4 years ago.
I think we're getting close!

As an FYI, when you first open the WAB file the "Shared Contacts" listing is highlighted. Under this should be a folder called "Main Identities Contacts"
Click on this folder and you should see your group.

You do not need OE to open a WAB file, that is just the default file association on your PC since you have OE installed. Anyone can import a WAB file into their email client, regardless of which email client they use.

However, if the end result is to have the addresses from your group in a CSV file, try this:

Perform the Export to the WAB file of your group as mentioned previously.
Open the WAB file in OE.
Since the WAB file contains your group, export the WAB file to a CSV file.

That should take care of your problem.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I did what you asked and again, exporting a group to a wab, gives me the entire address book. I then clicked on the same group and exported to a csv and I had the same results as far as exporting the entire address book. I don't think that OE has the capability to distinguish between the entire address book or just a group...
Expert:  Scott H. replied 4 years ago.
Hmmm...

When I export I only get my groups. When you're in your address book and choosing the Export function, what folder is highlighted on the left hand side?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the folder that has the addresses I want exported. e.g Rio A-H
Expert:  Scott H. replied 4 years ago.
Do you have the full version of Outlook available?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If you mean outlook express that comes with internet explorer. I have MS outlook which is part of MS Office...
Expert:  Scott H. replied 4 years ago.
Okay I've done some more testing and think we're closer.

Import your Address book from OE to Outlook:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/286116
  1. Start Outlook.
  2. On the File menu, click Import and Export.
  3. Click Import Internet Mail and Addresses, and then click Next.
  4. Click Outlook Express 4.x, 5 on the list.

Note In Microsoft Office Outlook 2003, the option is Outlook Express 4.x, 5.x, 6.x. In Outlook 2007, the option is Outlook Express 4.x, 5.x, 6.x or Windows Mail,
  5. Select any combination of the Mail or Addresses from the items that are listed.

Note With the exception of rules conversion from Outlook Express, the steps to convert addresses are the same.
  6. Click Next. If you are using Outlook 2003 or Outlook 2007, go to step 8.
  7. Select a destination for the imported address data.
  8. Select the appropriate duplicate items option, and then click Finish.
When in outlook, go to your Contacts and select the group you imported and open it.
Click on File
Select SAVE AS
Save the file as a Windows RTF file (opened with MS Word).

Let me know how this works.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I checked with Microsoft and they said that Outlook Express can not export JUST a folder or grout without the entire address book coming with it....I don't have Outlook setup and It is not worth the hassle...
Expert:  Scott H. replied 4 years ago.
Sorry we couldn't get this resolved for you!

Thank you for your patience and thanks for using JustAnswers.com!
Scott H., Information Systems Manager
Experience: 30 years experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for your patience and help. I am going to accept the contract anyway..Again

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX spent enough time with me....