Titchy
Titchy, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  15 years self taught computer repair and troubleshooting and 5+ years employment in IT field

I have a Dell V305 Printer. It cannot retrieve application

Customer Question

I have a Dell V305 Printer. It cannot retrieve application list to scan document to my computer..why:
Category: Computer
Expert:  Titchy replied 4 years ago.
Can you verify if you have the Dell V305 toolbox installed for me please? This will be located in the start bar in your programs. You are looking for "Dell Imaging Toobox" please advise if you have this installed. If not you can find this at the below website install this program and tell me if this solves the problem.

http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c =ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R190176&SystemID=PRN_INKJET_V305&servicetag=&os=WW1&osl=en&deviceid=16450&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=40&fileid=261127

Thank you for using Justanswer.com please feel free to contact me further if this does not resolve your issue.
Titchy, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: 15 years self taught computer repair and troubleshooting and 5+ years employment in IT field
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have checked the start bar. and toobar is installed. Please advise further....thanks
Expert:  Titchy replied 4 years ago.
Ok how is this printer connection is it USB or wireless? If you open the "Dell Imaging Toolbox" and try to scan from the software interface do you get the same result?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Its a USB.......Before I go to the toolbox, my scan is a document not a photo. Which should I use both or one...if one which one?
Expert:  Titchy replied 4 years ago.
For the sake of argument just use document for now. We are just checking scan functionality.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
While I was waiting. I went ahead and did both "document and photo". I did remember the other day doing this and it gave a trouble shoot instr. like pull the power cord and usb and reconnect. I did same and it didn't work. Please advise
Expert:  Titchy replied 4 years ago.
Ok let's try downloading the latest version of the software from the link I listed above. Uninstall the old Dell printer software completly. Reboot once completely uninstalled and reinstall the new version. Let me know if this resolves the problem there is a communications error somewhere. The Dell Imagine Toolbox is what provides the "Application List" so the printer is not pulling this information from the program.
Expert:  Titchy replied 4 years ago.
Just wanted to let you know it is almost 1:00 am here I am going to get some rest. Give that last suggestion a try and let me know how it works. I will be available first thing in the morning if you are still having problems to assist you. I apologize for this inconvenience but I am rather tired this evening. I do not get paid until you are completely satisfied so you are not being charged as of yet.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I uninstalled the Del 305....You say I need to restart computer then click above to install. the question how do I get back to you if I do this??? I did make a copy reinstall info on a e-mail form and saved it as a draft.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey, can I get back to someone tomorrow to compete...Its pretty late now. I rather reinstall tomorrow since you supplied the hyberlink for installing....Can I get a quick answer from you on this please???????
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I opened my computer this morning their was window showing to reinstall my printer Dell V305 printer. I then restarted my computer attempted to scan copy and the same problem has occured, would not scan. Please advise. For YOUR INFO I purchased this Dell printer along with my Dell Inspiron 530 last Apr, 2009. I guess the printer is covered under this purchase. One other thing, Operating system when purchases was windows vista, and Dell upgraded it to windows 7 a little more then a couple of months ago.
Expert:  Titchy replied 4 years ago.
It may have just installed the drivers not the toolbox. Click that link and actually install the software for the printer. When you uninstall a device Windows will attempt to reinstall the driver. The drive will in turn make the printer work but advanced functions (like scanning) will need the software. So please try to install the actual software from that link and see if this solves it. Now if this does not work I will "opt out" to open this question up to other experts to see if they have some insight. I have fixed these problems before but sometimes there is only some many tricks I have up my sleeve before I need to ask for help as well.

That link again to get the software is below.
http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/download.aspx?c =ca&cs=cadhs1&l=en&s=dhs&releaseid=R190176&SystemID=PRN_INKJET_V305&servicetag=&os=WW1&o sl=en&deviceid=16450&devlib=0&typecnt=0&vercnt=1&catid=-1&impid=-1&formatcnt=1&libid=40&fileid=261127
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello....I did what you say Rich, the window that came up showed drivers for my printer Dell 305...so I downloaded and saved ..but what I got is Dell driver download manger. So I'm confused where I should navigate on the site. Let me tell you this ..I have the installation CD or DVD for the printer. Should I run to install the printer. Please advise me what I should do next.

Expert:  Titchy replied 4 years ago.
The install program on the CD/DVD might be outdated. When you open that link you click the download button. Now if you get a selection to use dell download manager or use browser to download pick browser. It sounds like you already installed the download manager. So here is what you are going to do it should have asked where to put R190176.exe (this is the file you want). Save this somewhere you can find it easily (defaults to My Documents). You will see a box like the picture below (might look different). When this is finished you will double click on R190176.exe and this will extract the program on your hard drive and start the installation. Once this completes you should have the newest most updated Printer Software for your printer. Let me know how this works out when completed see if you can scan when it's done you will want to reboot just to be safe.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I"m back, I needed to do some other things. I did what you say. I reinstalled twice , each time the printer was connected but no printer files. Now my printer doesn't work without the files. I rebooted computer each time. So what did I not do wrong????? Also each time I was suspicious because a test print didn't generate. PLEASE ADVISE
Expert:  Titchy replied 4 years ago.
I am going to opt out in hopes another expert can pipe in. As I have exhausted all my own personal knowledge. I am sorry I could not resolve this there is a few experts who have delt with this error before I will forward this to them as well.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Rich if you could just hold on. the computer is telling me I'm not connected in the right port I checked both ends of wire and were attached. I decided to connect with in another USB port, but no luck
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I went to a window called devices and printers. I found two printer icons there. I changed to the green check. Now the printer prints and also I can save a scan on the tool imaging window. All I need from you how can I delete the non=working printer icon from devices and printers window. Let me know right away and I'm willing to "accept" In fact I'll thank you in advance for all your time. note the two printer icons pops a window

indication which printer you want to us///thats why I want to get rid of it

Expert:  Titchy replied 4 years ago.
Go into your control panel and then select printers and faxes. Find the second printer right click and delete. So that is the step I missed you must have just turned the printer "online". You should be able to just delete the second one and it should go away.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks again, It was drain on me probably you and others. I learned something here and much appreciated
Expert:  Titchy replied 4 years ago.
I am glad it finally worked out I am sorry I missed that last step. At least the new drivers/program fixed the issue. Thanks for using Justanswer.com I hope you continue to use us in the future.