Christopher Bessler
Christopher Bessler, Computer Engineer
Experience:  17 years troubleshooting PC/Server/Printer and network

My dvd drive says there is no disc in drive when there is one

My dvd drive says there is no disc in drive when there is one in the drive. How do I watch dvd's like I did yestreday?
Category: Computer
Expert:  Christopher Bessler replied 4 years ago.
I will be happy to assist you with your question, but first I need a little more information.

Exactly what type of computer are you using?
Is the DVD drive internal or external?
Are all DVD's not working? Or just this one?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you Christopher.
1. HP Pavilion Slimeline s7530n PC
2. internal DVD drive
3. All DVD's not working. The E drive will play audio CD's and read CD Rom, but does not load DVD's.
Which DVD were you able to watch successfully yesterday?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It was a rented movie titled Public Enemy Number One. I am currently trying to watch rented movies Gran Torino and Personal Effects. Neither will load and Windows Media Center says there is no disc in the e drive. I have tried to start manually without success. Play menu does not allow me to highlight the DVD selection in the menu.
Do you have multiple DVD/CD drives?

Or is there just the one?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
There is just one.
OK, we need to determine if the problem is the drive itself, or if there is a problem with the mediacenter software.

The easiest way to determine this is to install VLC from here:

http://www.videolan.org/

Download the latest version, which I believe is 1.0.3.

It is a totally free media player.

Once you install it, go to File > Open Disk and select your DVD drive.

If you get the same error we know the problem is with your drive. If it plays, we know the issue is with Media Center and we can troubleshoot that.

Let me know...

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you Christopher.
This is what happened after I hit the play button. I received this error message.
Playback failure:

DVDRead could not open the disc "E:\2".

Your input can't be opened:

VLC is unable to open the MRL 'dvd://E:\2'. Check the log for details.

This is really starting to sound like a hardware problem with the DVD drive.

If that is the case there is really no troubleshooting or configuration that we can do. The drive either has to be repaired or replaced.

To do that we need to contact the manufacturer.

Here is their number:(NNN) NNN-NNNNbr />
If you provide them the serial number and any registration information you might have given them when you first purchased, they will be able to arrange things for you.

Let me know...

______________________________________________________________________
Thank you for your question. If my answer helped at all, please accept. Positive feedback and/or a bonus is always greatly appreciated!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am now getting the error message of
No suitable decoder module:

VLC does not support the audio or video format "undf". Unfortunately there is no way for you to fix this.

No suitable decoder module:

No suitable decoder module:

No suitable decoder module:

No suitable decoder module:

Does still mean we have a drive problem

Expert:  replied 4 years ago.
Yes. That is absolutely a drive problem. It is listed everything on that drive as undefined, and that only happens when the read head is faulty or there is a piece of junk actually INSIDE the drive. Something that probably wrecked the drive.

Christopher Bessler, Computer Engineer
Experience: 17 years troubleshooting PC/Server/Printer and network