Matt, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  BSc (Hons) Software Engineering, 4+ years experience as IT Support
15320265

WPWIN Error Invalid drive/ path specification I cannot open

Customer Question

WPWIN Error Invalid drive/ path specification

I cannot open a folder to obtain my documents.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

Hi

Sorry to hear that.

Which program are you getting the error in?

Regards.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Word Perfect 8
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.
Ok, can you open the documents directly in word perfect by double-clicking on them?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry Matt, I keep losing this page.

No, I cannot open this one file. I can open other files though.

I have Clicked TOOLS

SETTINGS

FILES

AND TRIED TO PUT IT IN ANOTHER FOLDER,

Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

Ok, try to copy the file in question to the desktop and then open it up using Word Perfect. I think the file has been deleted as a result of which Word Perfect cannot find it.

Keep me posted.

Regards.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You mean try to copy the FOLDER?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I copied the folder to desktop. it goes there as a shortcut, and does not open.
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

Thanks for the clarification.

In that case, I guess the file has been deleted. Had you saved the file in question before?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Oh Yes,

I created a New Folder, Call it MASTER.

I then cut and pasted and or dragged several other folders/files to the MASTER folder, to consolidate to one folder. It was working ok. I kept opening and checking the new MASTER folder and everything was goint there.

when everything had been put in the new MASTER folder, I tried opening once again and then POW! I could not opeb it.

Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

Do you get any error messages when you try to open this folder?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Matt,

In MY RECENTS DOCUMENTS, I found all the individual folders, that I thought I put in one MASTER folder. when I try to open each one....it says" WINDOWS IS SEARCHING FOR.....

After searching I get a message: The item"__NAME________.wpd that this shortcut refers has been changed or moved, so this shortcut will no longer work properly. Do you want to delet shortcut?

I have a shortcut for all the files/folders that I can't open.

Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

Ok, since you have moved all the files to the MASTER folder from their original location, therefore the shortcuts cannot trace back to the original file.

Do you get any error message when you try to open the MASTER folder?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, I have the folder, BUT NO CONTENTS. I didn't delete anything.

will system restore work?

r u getting as frusted as me?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
TIME FOR A MAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

Ok, when was the last time that you were able to access the files before you transferred them to the MASTER folder?

Also, go to Start>Search and see if you can find the missing files by searching for the file name.

Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

All this was happening today, 5 hours ago. As I said earlier, I was moving each folder/file to one MASTER file. At that time I could access all files, before moving them to one MASTER folder.

Now all I have is empty folders.

Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.
Ok, did you search for the files by going to Start>Search?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, and it finds MASTER FOLDER, WHEN I TRY TO OPEN IT IT TAKES ME TO THE FOLDER BUT IT WON'T OPEN. WHEN I PUT THE CURSOR ARROW OVER IT IT SHOWS NOTHING. THERRE IS NOTHING IN THE SIZE JUST TYPE FILE ...FILE FOLDER.
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

Ok, now please go to Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore, then restore your system back to a date and time when you had not opened the MASTER folder and all files/folders were in their original locations.

Keep me posted.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Matt,

I finished creating the files that I cannot locate yesterday. Iv'e been cutting and pasting since Monday of this week. Today I consolidated and that's when I lost the files. The earliest Restore Point is last week, on the 21st. , so that won't help.

I still have the search going and maybe it will come up with something other than an empty FOLDER.

I am buying a MAC.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
WHEN I RIGHT CLICK ON THE INDIVIDUAL FOLDERS THAT I CAN'T OPEN, IT SHOWS THE SIZE IN MB. EXAMPLE 1.37 ON THE SIDE IN THE DETAILS.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

MATT, IT HASEN'T WORKED. LET'S TRY TOMORROW. GOT TO GO.

EMAIL ME TOMORROW IF YOU WANT TO TRY AGAIN.

XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

BUSINESS PHONE: XXX-XXX-XXXX

Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

No problem. We can continue this tommorrow.

I'll post a reply here and you will get an email notification.

Also, I suggest you carry out the System Restore in any case and see what it brings up. And, let me if the Search brings up anything as well. Try searching the individual files/folders which were lost.

Keep me posted.

Regards.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Matt, I will search each each folder. I've been trying to figure this out since about 1pm pacific.

How can all the folders be there, but un-able to open. But what do I know, I'm a Mobile DJ.

www.comedancewithme.com

Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.
No problem. Take your time.