Help Desk Tech
Help Desk Tech, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  12 years help desk support / 5 year manager of computer support team.
28513105

I have a Seagate stand alone hard drive Serial No. 5MT2VSFZ,

Customer Question

I have a Seagate stand alone hard drive Serial No. 5MT2VSFZ, PART #9BD862-560, which I have been using without problem for some time. Recently, the hard drive is not recognized by my computer. I have plugged it directly into a wall outlet with the USB connection plugged directly into a usb port on the computer; not into a separate multi usb port device. I have restarted my computer with the Seagate hard drive turned on and the computer has no apparent problem shutting down and restarting, but does not recognize the Seagate hard drive.

Your suggestions for resolving this problem will be appreciated.
Category: Computer
Expert:  Santonu replied 6 years ago.

Please let me knwo the name of your operating system

Thanks

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
windows xp
Expert:  Santonu replied 6 years ago.
Please connect the external drive

Click Start ->Run, type devmgmt.msc and press Enter

In the Device Manager window, look for any Unknown Device and let me know about the same.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I don't see any entries that are unknown to me. I don't have any other stand alone hard drive turned on at present. I do have a Maxtor backup hard drive using Acronis back up system, but it is not presently plugged in. although the device manager window does display the Acronis name and symbol.
Expert:  Santonu replied 6 years ago.
Try to connect your Maxtor hard drive and then open Device Manager.

Expand Disk drives and let me know if it is listed there

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No, its not listed. I have another hard drive, presently turned off, that I purchased awhile back from COMPUSA. Do you want me to turn it on to see if it is listed on the Disk drives?

Expert:  Santonu replied 6 years ago.
Yes, please check that once to see if the system is able to detect drives connected to the USB ports.

Also tell me about the type of computer you are using like Desktop, laptop etc

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I checked My Computer, and the hard drive is recognized. On the Device Manager, under Disk Drives it lists: Maxtor 4DOROH2 USB DEVICE; and WDCWD1600AAJS-75PSAO.
Expert:  Santonu replied 6 years ago.
Can you tell me if the power supply for the Seagate drive have an LED on it.

If yes connect the power supply into a power outlet without the hard drive connected to it.

Let me know If the LED blinks in this configuration

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The LED does not blink; its a steady green.
Expert:  Santonu replied 6 years ago.
Now connect the drive and turn it on. Let me know if the LED blinks this time

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, the light remains steady without blinking. Neither the Seagate nor Maxtor hard drives register as being connedted to the computer.
Expert:  Santonu replied 6 years ago.
I see. Disconnect any USB hard drives connected to the system.

Next, use the following link, scroll a little and click FixIt

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/925196

Click Run in the File Download dialog box, and follow the steps in this wizard.

When completed, restart computer.

When it starts again, plug an USB drive and see if the system is able to detect the same.

To get back to me, logon to JustAnswer and you will find this question under My Questions.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I did as you instructed and clicked on FIxIt link you provided and followed the instructions, including restarting the computer and replugging in the Seagate hard drive. The computer still does not recognize the hard drive.
Expert:  Help Desk Tech replied 6 years ago.
I have two suggestions.

The first would be to take the drive from the USB enclosure/adapter and plug it directly in the machine (or borrow another USB to HD adapter)

The second option would be to place the drive in the freezer for a few hours and then try to plug it into the computer
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm not sure that I perfectly understand your first suggestion. Do you mean that I should remove the hard drive device from its enclosure and connect it without a cover to my usb connection on my computer?

Second, I assume you mean that I should enclose the device in a freezer bag and put it into the freeser for a few (8?) hours?

The freezer method would be for only 1 - 2 hours - just enough to chill the drive all the way through. The refigerator will take longer to achieve the same effect.

You don't need to put it in a freezer bag unless you are concerned with it getting wet. When I have done this in the office freezer, I just set it upside down (board facing up).

When I mean remove it from the enclosure, I mean then plug it directly into the SATA or IDE cable inside your computer. All the enclosure does is adapt an internal drive (SATA or IDE) to a USB connection.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I'm afraid i'm not knowledgeable enough to recognize a SATA or IDE cable inside my computer; i'm assuming that to do what you suggest will require the removal of the computer cover?

Will removing the cover from the hard drive and plugging the USB line from the hard drive to the USB female end on the computer result in the same action?

Once you remove the hard drive from the enclosure, the USB connection will be irrellevant. The hard drive will have built into it a IDE or SAT interface (depending on it's age. IDE is 39 pins Sata is a wafer type connection. Inside your computer will be cables with either 39 pin female connections or sata female connections. It will require taking the side off of your computer, and your computer should be turned off and unplugged during this process of connecting the drive internally. The ONLY thing this will rule out is that the enclosure itself is not faulty.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The freezer period for the hard drive did not allow it to be connected to the computer, although I noticed a clicking noise in the hard drive during the attempted connection.

I am not in a position to remove the computer cover or to guess at the IDE or SATA "connections." Do you have any recommendations that, with my limited knowledge, I would be able to perform to retrieve the data on my Seagate hard drive?

A clicking noise is not a good sound, that would indicate that the drive is damaged. There is always teh option of sending it off to company to recover the data, but that can be pricy. If you'd like, I can provide a recommendation.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I would appreciate your recommendation.
We have used on-track data recovery. Their website is

http://www.ontrackdatarecovery.com/