Peter
Peter, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  A+ Certified, 15+ years Diagnosing and repairing windows based PCs and laptops and Home networking
24891836

is there a reset button on a gateway laptop model ma2

Customer Question

Category: Computer
Expert:  Peter replied 4 years ago.
Hello I will be happy to assist you. That model does not have its own reset switch, but there are a few things we can try to see if we can get it to power on. First please tell me what were you doing when it turned off? Also was it plugged into the wall or running on battery power when it shut off? Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was loading a program from a cd and about have way done it quit
Expert:  Peter replied 4 years ago.
OK lets try a couple of things. Lets see if the battery is causing the issue. Unplug the unit and take the battery out. Now hold down the power button for about 20 seconds to discharge the laptop. Sometimes a small charge can build up and prevent the power from coming on. After 20 seconds plug the laptop into the wall WITHOUT the battery put back in. Turn on the unit and let it boot into Windows. Use the laptop like that for a while and try to reinstall that CD. Then we know the battery ws the cause in this case. If it does not power on let me know so we can continue to troubleshoot issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No it did not come on.
Expert:  Peter replied 4 years ago.
OK. Put the battery back in and then plug the unit in. On those model Gateways a light should come on indicating that the plug is in and the battery is charging. With it plugged in do you get ANY lights at all on the unit? Whether you do or you dont, also wiggle the AC adapter at the tip while it is plugged into the back of the laptop. Tell me if you feel a lot of play in the connection and whether any lights go on or off while doing this.

Edited by Peter on 1/26/2010 at 9:49 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no
Expert:  Peter replied 4 years ago.
At this point it is one of 3 things:

1) AC adapter is defective and not powering the laptop
2) the DC jack where you plug the adapter into the laptop is loose or broken off the mainboard, thus the laptop is not getting power ( a very common issue with older laptops)
3) an internal failure of a component, possibly the mainboard.

The only thing you can try to do without starting to take components out of the laptop is to replace the AC adapter with a new one. you can get a universal adapter from any local retailer or you can order one specific for your unit from Ebay or Gateway. Also a lot of local repair shops have a universal adapter that they can hook up real quick and this will also let you know whether it is the adapter, the DC jack, or an internal component. At least we were able to narrow down the cause, but unfortunately there is not much else that can be done online. I personally feel that it is either the AC adapter or the DC jack. I have had to replace many DC jacks in the past. Hope this was helpful and I wish you the best in your continued efforts. Thank you!
Peter, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: A+ Certified, 15+ years Diagnosing and repairing windows based PCs and laptops and Home networking
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the batterie shows to be fully charged so i don't think the charger is the problem
Expert:  Peter replied 4 years ago.
Does the battery have an indicator on it that shows battery level? Most Gateway batteries do not have this so just wondering what is indicating it has a full charge? If it shows as the battery charged I am assuming that the unit still will not power on with the just the battery then? If so then you are still looking at an internal failure of some sort. Mainboard, HDD, memory sticks, any component can cause a no power on situation you are facing. At this point I would still recommend taking it to your local PC shop and at least checking with a known good AC adapter. If it does not work then a technician will have to open up the laptop to determine the cause of the power issue.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thank you i didn' want to hear this.