Jared Tarbox
Jared Tarbox, Network Administrator
Experience:  A+, Network+ Certifications, 25+ years experience
28852979

my c drive is almost full after reinstalling windows vista

Customer Question

my "c" drive is almost full after reinstalling windows vista after crashing and stalling.dell cl216f1XXX@XXXXXX.XXX
Category: Computer
Expert:  Jared Tarbox replied 4 years ago.
Are you using a DVD or CDROM to reinstall VISTA? Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
cdrom. i think my dvd failed while reinstalling windows from the disc that came with my computer. my computer orrionally came with a cd player and i ordered the dvd and installed it all was ok until a week ago i have now reinstalled the cd player that came with the computer. i just got it up last night.i also get a message at start up that asks for f1 to start. is this any help?
What make and model of computer do you have? Are you familiar with how to get the computer to boot from the Windows VISTA CDROM?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
dell inspiron 531 cl216f1 date 113007. cd-rw/dvd drive ts-h493. after i get this straightened out i want to try the sony nec optiarc ad-5170s again. is this the information you are looking for. i'm a retired component level tv tech . i'm used to asking and answering loaded questions. computers are a bit forign to me.
Is theis copy of VISTA and upgrade or a full version?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
remember i said my "c" drive is almost full.and it is probably installed twice. your answer is from me "vista home premium 32 bit. do you need the specs of my computer.such as memory sizes of "c" and"d" drives?
Okay, I got that :) However does the pacakaging or CD say upgrade anywhere on it? Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no. it says . this soft ware is already on the computer this is only for reinstalling the operating system on a dell computer.
Does it specifically mention Windows VISTA on the CD?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
windows vista "home premium32 bit
Okay then make sure you backup all your data first!!! to either a removable harddrive or thumb drive ;) Also make sure you have the Driver CDROM to install any drivers you may need after installation. If you don't have the disc you can get all the drivers you will need from this link. Thanks

1. Turn on your computer and insert the Windows Vista DVD or CD.

2. On the Install Windows page, follow any instructions that might appear, and then click Install now.

3. On the Get important updates for installation page, we recommend getting the latest updates to help ensure a successful installation and to help protect your computer against security threats. You will need an Internet connection to get installation updates.

4. On the Type your product key for activation page, we strongly recommend that you type your 25-character product key to help avoid problems during activation.

5. On the Please read the license terms page, if you accept the license terms, click I accept the license terms.

6. Follow the instructions on each page. On the Which type of installation do you want? page, click Custom.

7. If any partitions are listed Delete them so that all you are left with is un-partitioned space then continue the installation
  8. Once installation finishes you should be good to go!
Jared Tarbox, Network Administrator
Experience: A+, Network+ Certifications, 25+ years experience
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
dic c did not erase previus files. it will no longer accept anything. running windows again took me to windows up grade 7. downloading 7 filled the disc. it won't let me remove anything. should i replace the hard drive to eliminate the overloaded disc ? there were no provisions to change the partitioning. any help- would be appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
dic c did not erase previus files. it will no longer accept anything. running windows again took me to windows up grade 7. downloading 7 filled the disc. it won't let me remove anything. should i replace the hard drive to eliminate the overloaded disc ? there were no provisions to change the partitioning. any help would be appreciated.
At this point I would strongly taking it in a local computer shop or hire a sharp college kid to help you out. I would love to help out but without being there is not much I can do sorry!!!

Here is a video tutorial that may help you? As you can see he does a custom install, as in the video you want Disk 0 to have Unallocated with the free space = to the drive space.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i can't download a plugin . not enough disc space. i'll call my son in law. he designed this set up around my needs.thanks anyhow.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
After folowing tuor advice to reload windows. My c discoverloaded . you should have recomended to wipe out hard drive completely. Ibought a new hard drive today. to night my son inlaw e mailed me how to do this. sorry you can't win them all.