Andrew
Andrew, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Computer Systems Engineering Degree, Extensive computer troubleshooting skills, Hardware Expert
27572172

fn f4 wont work to see my laptop on my tv. Reset Hotkey

The fn f4 key combo on my hp laptop no longer works to connect to my insignia 47" tv. I'm trying to find a way to reset those key shortcuts since I think another program might be using those that hotkey. By the way, I do have a wacom monitor so have installed that software, but I've had it for 6 months and this problem is only the past few weeks at most (just noticed Friday).

I have a windows vista HP Pavilion laptop...hp pavilion entertainment notebook pc dv6000, vista home premium 6.0, build 6002, bios ver 1.00parttbl, intel core2 duo cpu t5550@ 1.83 ghz 2cpus, 3062mb ram, 2159mb used, 5321 avail, directx 10

Thanks for any help or suggestions you might have. My guess is that some update or program I loaded has overridden the fn f4 key. Perhaps there is a way to reset it??

-- What I've tried...specifics...I use a vga cable to connect and it used to either automatically recognize it (once I set it to vga on the tv), or I'd use fn f4 to get it to share or dedicate my screen to the tv. But just lately, it won't work. Instead the tv says it has no vga input and the fn f4 produces an image on the bottom right of the screen that looks like a laptop monitor w/ an arrow graphic pointing to another image of a laptop monitor monitor. It does nothing when I roll over this graphic, click it or right click it anywhere on this pop up image.
Category: Computer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Relist: I still need help.
Expert:  Andrew replied 4 years ago.
HeyCustomer

Surprised no one picked up your question earlier.

Have you tried re-installing the drivers for the quicklaunch buttons?

I believe this may solve your problem.

Click here to get the drivers.

Let me know if this helps. Also, the link here is for the laptop that you described in the question, however, if this file doesn't fix your problem could you please look at the bottom of the laptop for the full model number?

Keep me posted!

Andrew
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi, thanks for responding. My model # XXXXX XXXXX

I tried your suggestion, but no luck. Although it did say something about updating my bios first, but I didn't know how to do that, so I just ran it. I restarted and, no luck. I then modified some startups based on an alert that was popping at startup in the bottom right corner. It was blocking some app update so I said to let it run this time. Again, no luck w/ my fn f4. At the same time, in that alert it was allowing me to click see any program that windows was blocking from starting up (alert was in my right bottom toolbar). When I clicked that it allowed me to check or uncheck processes for startup. I unchecked some I thought might be causing the popup w/ the "laptop to arrow to laptop" graphic I described in my initial question. Upon restart it did indeed stop that (I think was the powerstarter app that came w/ my dvd player a while back. So, that no longer popped up w/ fn f4, but still doesn't recognize vga by the tv. BTW, that powerstarter app was on my pc for some time, so don't think that was the problem.

thx
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I also think perhaps this started when i was unchecking things on that alert some weeks ago. Is that possible. Maybe if I just let it auto startup whatever it wants? Or maybe if you look at a list of my auto startup apps you can see if you think anything might be causing this??? Also I can't find this alert anymore since I let it run the app update. So if you tell me where to find it, I can send it to you.
Expert:  Andrew replied 4 years ago.
go to your start menu and search msconfig, run it.
go to the startup tab and look in there. enable anything hp related. maybe you disabled it accidentally. If theres nothing in there that stands out to you if you could provide me with a list of things in the startup list that would help.

Also we can look into updating the bios for the laptop as well.

Keep in touch

Andrew
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I went to msconfig, and enabled all. So, I don't think this is the problem. I also tried just setting my tv to vga and then connecting the cable. It says 'no vga input', where it used to configure the tv for my pc even without fn f4 as I remember. So I think something on my pc is keeping this from sending the vga signal?? Especially since the fn f4 brings up that image I've told you about. If it helps, I could send you a screen grab of that image (how would I send that to you...I don't see a spot here to upload attachments). Note that my pc does still seem to recognize my wacom monitor and another monitor I use a work, usually, although sometimes I have to go to adjust screen resolution to extend to the 2nd monitor.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok, hold on, the genius (lol) that I am (der), I tried adjust screen resolution again. It still gave me the same problem until I started messing w/ the resolution. When I set monitor 2 to 1024x768 (my tv is 1080) it showed up! Sorry I just didn't think to do that. Still unsure if my other fn f4 problems have anything to do w/ anything, because I never had to go to this adjust screen res for my tv before, but I'm just glad it works now. If you have any final tips, let me know. Thanks for your patience w/ me.

Do you know how I can get it to show the entire width of my wide screen tv? When I put it up, 'normal' mode on my tv is the correct looking perspective while 'wide' uses my entire screen, but it's stretched. The 'normal' has black bands on the left and right so cutting off what is normally shown on pc monitor. Why won't is show the same proportion on my tv w/o distorting. Not sure if this is something you can answer or if I need to submit a new q. I signed up for the monthly service w/ just answer. I have an insignia 47".
Expert:  Andrew replied 4 years ago.
In the past when you connected the tv were you able to set the resolution to 1920x1080??

Do you know what type of video card you have in that laptop? from what I can tell there is an intel option and an nvidia option. It would be good to update your drivers to the most recent. This may fix the resolution problem because there is no reason why you shouldn't be able to select 1920x1080 for the tv and have it work.

FYI heres the page with all your drivers for your exact model. Click here

Now I don't want you to go to the link above and install those drivers. Theres most likely newer ones available at the graphics chip makers site so once you let me know what type of video card you have in the laptop I can send you the link you need.

If the FN+F4 quick keys still aren't working u may wanna try installing the quick launch buttons driver on that link because the link I sent you before wasn't for your exact model. (theres two, get the newer one from 2008)

If you still wanna send me a screen capture feel free, there is a little tree icon in the toolbar on here where you can attach a picture. (I'm assuming its there for customers as well)

I'm willing to work with you some more to see if we can resolve the resolution issue. I like to make sure my customers are throughly satisfied with my service.

Keep me posted!

Andrew
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ah, yes the upload is here in firefox...I had been using chrome and the toolbar does not show up. I'm attaching screengrabs showing my graphics card info and the image that pops up w/ fn f4 that I've been talking about. I have not tested this since w/ the tv since it started working (since I've updated the quickstart driver you just sent me for my specific pc). I'll try tomorrow. I'll also test the 1920x1080 again, but from my recollection, it would not let me choose any presets from the dropdown above 1024x768 with a good result. Thanks for your help.

graphic

graphic
Expert:  Andrew replied 4 years ago.
Hey,

Thanks for sending me those pics. So from what I can tell that image in the bottom right is just showing the toggle between single monitor(your laptop lcd) and both monitors. So nothing to worry about there i don't think. I noticed in your system tray i don't see the icon thats usually there for the video card for intel chipsets. Have you ever tried installing the newest drivers for ur vid card? This may solve the problem u had with it not wanting to work on 1920x1080. click here

Note: the graphics driver on the hp site isn't the newest which is why i included a link to the intel download site which is the newest.

Let me know if you have any luck

Andrew
Andrew, Computer Support Specialist
Experience: Computer Systems Engineering Degree, Extensive computer troubleshooting skills, Hardware Expert
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hi Andrew. I loaded the updated graphics driver (thanks), but my insignia tv still won't recognize the vga above 1024 x 768. Seems to me the tv must just not recognize if either dimension is above 1080?? I checked again and when I do put the tv on wide mode versus normal display, it just stretches it in vga mode. Oh well, thanks anyway.

Oh, and I still don't see any quicklink in the bottom right to my display, even since the update. But again, not a big deal I guess. Thanks for your help it at least getting me on the right path and getting me updated drivers. I appreciate it.