Brad
Brad, Computer Technician
Experience:  20 + years, cert. Win NT, xp, vista Windows 7, Net sec

Internet Explorer will not stay open, It opens for 2 secs

Customer Question

Internet Explorer will not stay open, It opens for 2 sec's and then closes immediately. Aol does the same. FFox was installed and it won't even open...I have no viruses and all hardware is passed after running Gsquad diagnostics. I have uninstalled IE7 and reinstalled IE7..I removed SP3 and reinstalled all critical updates...All other progams QBooks Pro updates, Windows Auto Updates work fine...Only time i have seen this before was working in DOS and a Peachtree program would open and close...Yech support had me increase file and buffer siz...what is wrong here? Help!!
Category: Computer
Expert:  NorCal IT Pro replied 4 years ago.

GreetingsCustomer Thank you for choosing JustAnswer™ for your technical needs! My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be taking care of you today.

*Please note: Your question is important; I take this very seriously, and professionally. Please only click ACCEPT if you are satisfied with your Answer. If you’re not satisfied I will try different solutions, if I can't provide you with a solution, I will open your questions to the rest of the Experts and as team we will solve your question.

At this point what I suggest is:

1. Installing/upgrading to IE8
  2. Uninstalling Firefox and AOL, and install latest version if you like.

Please let me know what you want to do and I will assist you. Those are the only options I have. If you want another opinion I will open your question out to the rest of the Experts.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have done that as well...it just means IE8 opens and closes quickly....
Ok I will open your question for the other Experts to wiegh in.

Thanks.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks NorCal....I have done everything I could think of and it just doesn't work from resetting to original defaults, etc....ya know i woould restore to an earlier time but ever since i have Norton the system restore goes through the motions and then says sorry it couldn't be done...wth?
Expert:  Brad replied 4 years ago.

What is the make and model of the computer?

How much Ram?

How much hard drive open?

What happens if you go to safe mode with networking?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Brad!

The comp is HP media drive m1095c, 3.2 P4 with HT, 250gig hard drive, plenty of free space, 512 ram

The computer boots fine, so don't know what Safe Mode will do....all other progs work fine updating windows and QBook Pro updates, aol updates, etc..

Expert:  Brad replied 4 years ago.
Safe mode will tell us if there is a driver or other program that is getting in the way unless you want to run msconfig and change startup. You are saying 512 mb of ram?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have already done that with the AOL expert, isolating the program, but am willing to try again...can't remember if w edid it inly with aol so i'll try ..start msconfig disable all and enable IE only?
Expert:  Brad replied 4 years ago.

You can disable the startup programs. Then restart the computer. The other thing I need you to do is go to c:\windows\prefetch

delete everything that is in there then restart also

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Understand the disable all...already did that actually and as far as the windows\prefetch at the C prompt I get the reply \windows\prefetch is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file....anything else?

Expert:  Brad replied 4 years ago.
Click start, my computer, drive c, windows, prefetch. then see what is listed there and remove it all
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok found the folder and deleted 45 items...should I still disable all un der start progs for msconfig?aagin for the restart?
Expert:  Brad replied 4 years ago.
I would, you have nothing to loose. Also click start and control panel and regional and language settings and the language tab, details button and select speech recognition if it is listed and delete that. Let me know
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Done and nothing works...still have the problem.....would you think a ms tech support person should know something......does winsock have anything to do with it?
Expert:  Brad replied 4 years ago.

Winsock is an old term I cant see that having anything to do with it. IF you want to take a shot at Microsoft be my guest, they are expensive and could end up telling you to reinstall the whole os.

Click on start and control panel and administrative tools and event viewer. On the left is categories. Click system and look on the list on the right for anything that has to do with this. There will be red x or yellow ! next to big events. Correlate the date and time with the improper shutdown of the browsers. Check the internet explorer category too. Let me know what is listed that might have anything to do with this.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Brad, this started 3 days ago and EV only goes back until yesterday.....but I have 2 yellows for warning WinMgmnt......and plenty of red error associated with userenv...does that say anything....and I had someone tell me to try winsockxpfixit, but I can't search the internet....grrr
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Brad, using EV , system it looks like I had a warning 9yellow) for Tcpip....and the errors for Source Service Control manager..and another just called sr... .does this help?
Expert:  Brad replied 4 years ago.

Wow EV should go back a lot longer than that. here is the link on winsockxpfix :

http://majorgeeks.com/WinSock_XP_Fix_d4372.html

I dont believe that is your issue. With ev being shorted and all, how much disk space do you have exactly? Right click on IE7 and see if you select it to start without addons if it comes up longer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
yea...already tried that...it opens for a sec, but when you actually go out to the web page it closes....and I have only used 50gigs of 250gigs..
Expert:  Brad replied 4 years ago.
What are the settings for page file and cache? Hold windows key and press pause break and then performance.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The paging file size is 768mb and the cache is where /
Expert:  Brad replied 4 years ago.

That is small for a paging file if you only have 512 mb of ram.

The cache is in control panel, internet options, browsing history, settings , there is a line that says disk space to use and there are recommendations listed near it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
whe safe mode in tryingto start in safe mode it says hit f10...but nothing happens...dio I need to hit alt or ctrl or shift/
Expert:  Brad replied 4 years ago.
To start in safe mode, power on the computer and start tapping F8 right away or immediately after the logo for the maker but before the windows logo.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
....sorry Brad...I have already tried these methods and nothing has worked...Ieven spoke to Microsoft Tech's.......they believe I will need to reinstall Windows.......totallly a pain..but...thanks for the tries....it's just I had already tried them alll...that's why I was hoping somthing else would work....I even did a Winsockxpfixit and a registry cleanup....nothing working...
Expert:  Brad replied 4 years ago.
I was trying to avoid that, but yes, that will take care of it.