JeffreyLDyer
JeffreyLDyer, Consultant
Experience:  17 years in the industry, 17 years in support, 8 Yrs networking
28849565

My computer wont load Internet Explorer. It just freezes

My computer won't load Internet Explorer. It just freezes when it is trying to load. What can I do? (I'm on a different computer right now.)

Brenda
Category: Computer
Expert:  JeffreyLDyer replied 4 years ago.
HiCustomer

Let's test things.

I'd like you to download a different browser and install it. We'll see if you have the same issues.

Download Firefox from the following link: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/upgrade.html

Once downloaded, install it. Then open it and let me know if you can connect to the internet without Firefox freezing.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Great idea, but how can I log on to mozilla.com if I cannot get a working internet prompt? I typed that into the "run program" box, but it still freezes when it tries to load. Is there another way to download something other than through my internet explorer which is not working??? I think I may have been hit by a virus or something.
You would need to get a copy of Firefox from a different PC and transfer it to your machine by CD/flash drive/etc.

You can also try to repair Internet Explorer by following these steps:
  1. Start Internet Explorer.
  2. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
  3. On the Advanced tab, click Reset.
  4. In the Reset Internet Explorer Settings dialog box, click Reset to confirm.
I would attempt the repair of IE first. If that doesn't work, I'd install Firefox.
JeffreyLDyer, Consultant
Experience: 17 years in the industry, 17 years in support, 8 Yrs networking
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I cannot start Internet Explorer--so I cannot access the tools menu. I'll try downloading firefox. Thanks.
I see...so IE doesn't even start. I misunderstood. I thought it loaded but froze after loading.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Downloading Firefox didn't work either. I transferred the download installation file to the portable computer that is having a problem and installed Firefox, but when I try to run it, nothing happens. Must be a virus.
Do you have virus protection on the PC?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes, McAffee--and I keep it updated.
I'd like you to download a free application called CCleaner. You'll find it here: http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/

Install it and run.

First, run the Cleaner. Make sure all boxes are checked on the 'Windows' and 'Applications' tabs.

After you remove the files it finds, run the Registry Cleaner. Again, make sure all options are checked. After you fix all issues (don't forget to backup when asked to do so), run it again until you get no errors.

When complete, power off...count to 10...power on. Test the internet.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

OK, I've done all of that (and it took a long time), but BOTH Internet Explorer and Mozilla still don't work. What is weird is that I am connected to the internet with my e-mail--so it's not that the connection is bad. I'm running McAfee full scan again just to see if it finds anything now.

By the way, I ran the Mozilla installation off my USB stick, but it looks like it installed on the laptop OK. At least Mozilla shows up on my list of installed programs.

When Internet Explorer freezes, it creates an error report to send to Microsoft. The report contains the following files: iexplore.exe.mdmp and appcompat.txt. Does that offer any clues?

Thank you so much for helping me!

HiCustomer

Can you copy the entire error report and send it to me? You can save it to a notepad file and attach it as a file, or you can copy and paste into a new post here.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I don't know how to send files through this reply box. Is it possible for me to e-mail the files to you? Do you want all the temporary files that are created when the program hangs, or just the .txt file?
Go to http://www.mediafire.com/ and upload only the .txt file. Don't forget to send me the download link so I can access it.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

We must be dealing with a "smart" virus here. After I accessed the files that were being created when the application "hung", it now no longer creates those files!! It still "hangs", but it somehow it doesn't THINK it is hanging, so the computer just sits there and nothing happens. You can exit out, though, without the message to send the error to Microsoft.

I guess I need to bring in an antiviral specialist. Do you have any recommendations? I am going to pay your bill, and thank you very much for your excellent help!

In your area, I don't know specifically. Staples MIGHT be able to help. Other than that, you'll need to look in the yellow pages or newspaper.

It was a pleasure serving you today.
JeffreyLDyer, Consultant