Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30 yrs. in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.

Is there a way to forward text messages from my iphone to an

Customer Question

Is there a way to forward text messages from my iphone to an e-mail account or in hte alternative print the text messages
Category: Computer
Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 years ago.
hit the forward button on the txt message and hit send to and then options and insert an email address. or you can put email addresses in your address book for people and they should show up as possible check boxes along with phone numbers to send txt to.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I tried this with my Iphone. There is no "option" screen when forwarding a text message. The field for entering a number does not allow an e-mail address to be entered.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 years ago.
that is very hard to believe. every phone i have ever had will give an option to send to an email address and the iphones are pretty advanced.
but it might have to do with your service provider. who is your service provider.

try putting the email address into contact information under email. then when you go to send tap contact info and select email
the iphone tends to like sending email to email address and text msg to phone numbers you might have to create an email and copy the txt message into it.

Edited by robert on 1/25/2010 at 7:56 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The service provider is AT&T. In order to forward a text message I tap the'edit icon in the upper right hand corner of the screen. There then appears an icon in the bottom right hand corner to "forward" the text message. When i Hit the "forward" button tere is a field to enter a phone number. Thre is also a+ sign in the upper right hand corner. If I touch the + sign it opens my contact library but the library only shows phone numbers and not the e-mail addresses
Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 years ago.
it seems that is a deficiency in the iphone software. it will send emails to email address's and texts to phone numbers it will NOT send texts to email address's

one possible work around is
send the txt to 36245
that is an email gateway.
the first line of the text message has to be the email address you are sending it to.

the 36245 is the recipients phone number
the first line of the text is the email address you actually want it to go to.
the text of the message follows
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I just tried your suggested solution. My iPhone wont et me put an e-mail address in. I cant get the @ symbol to come up on the keyboard. Also when I hit "return" it doesn't go to the next line
Expert:  Robert M. replied 6 years ago.
you just need a space after the email address and there IS a way to put the @ into the middle of a text message. you probably need to use the symbol or function key.