Carl L
Carl L, IT Specialist
Experience:  14+ Years of Extensive Computer Repair Experience.
27991594

I have a gateway widescreen monitor. Model number LP 2007,

I have a gateway widescreen monitor. Model number LP 2007, Product number FPD2275W.
Mfg. Date October 2006 Serial number MGK6A DOC 05657. It has been a good monitor and I like it. Recently it quit working properly. It comes on shows the gatewa logo and there is sound. After about 30 seconds it shuts down to sleep mode.

Is there an internal circuit breaker that shuts down the monitor? Or a reset switch? Is this problem common in older monitors? Where is the nearest gateway authorized service center to Portland Oregon 97055. Would it make sense financially to have it looked at or is this the symptoms of a monitor failing? If so do you offer any purchase incentives to obtain a similar model?

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX

Hey,

The issue that your having is very common and is an indicator that the monitor's Power Supply is failing. We repair them on a daily basis for about $60 but its rare to find a company who will touch them.

We've had the best luck and feedback on the HP LCD Monitors from Staples or Office Depot and seem to always be on sale.

Hope this helps,

XXXXX XXXXXndsey

Select Tronix

Owner/CEO

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Does gateway have authorized service centers? Or how do I locate a service center in my area. What is the cost of a powere supply and where can I get one. I am familiar with working on electronics just not lcd monitors? If you were to rate your diagnosis on a ten point scale at what point would you be? Sixty dollars seems much better than a couple hundred. Your input is appreciated.

I dont believe they have anything local and if they did it would cost around $200 for them to fix it. The cost of a power supply is about $150 retail, but the parts that go bad are a lot cheaper to just diagnose and replace.

And lastly I would rate my diagnosis a 9 as I fix these monitors in my shop almost daily.

The parts that go bad are the filter output capacitors. The reason these go bad is because they are filled with an electrolytic acid that dries out over time, then turns into gas causing the cap. to swell and loose its capacitance or charge like a battery.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Last question, Where can I by the capacitors?
We buy ours at either digikey.com or newark.com. There very reasonable and have been using them for years.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your assistance. You have been very helpful. I'll open the case and see if I can fix the problem. Thanks again.
No problem. Let me know if I can help you further down the road.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I pressed the accept button did the trasaction complete?

Yes it did and I appreciate the Positive Feedback you left as well.

Best of luck on your repairs, and Im always here to help you further.